Am I being cynical ?

cymaz

Posted by cymaz on 04/03/2015 20:32:42:

I did watch all the programs about the Palace of Westminster. I wondered how an institution so arcane, old, creaky, splitting at the seams and up to its eyes in backward looking tradition could produce the law of the land.

The methods and structure of actually getting work done just beggars belief. And in a building that is falling apart around their ears.

The doctrine of the place is soooo ingrained in the 1800's. Everyone is so affraid to change it because they can all hide behind tradition and out dated methods and practices. It's broke...it needs fixing.

I also watched ... both interesting and of concern at the same time ... I agree with cymaz ... perhaps the physical demize of Westminster will bring about a new thought process. The talk is about 'decanting' the Westminster lot to somewhere else, the question is who would want them??

As for the proposition that Joe Public will have to cough up £3billion pounds to rebuild Westminster ... well in my book that is a complete none starter ...

Blimey, the palace of Westminster is a landmark building, similar in status to Notre Dame Cathedral, Manchu Piccu, or the Valley of the Kings.

It symbolizes the British Empire (you don't have to admire it),the end of the industrial revolution and modern democracy (you don't have to agree).

I would rather 3 billion spent repairing it, than spending it on giving benefits to eastern Europeans, or on aid to countries who can afford their own space projects, or on waging war in countries that can better be left to sort themselves out.

I agree with Cymaz and Ted. frown

The building is truly iconic and can't be left to rot.

On the other hand, anything that would shake our political system out of the usual two-party adversarial rut we seem to be trapped in would be very welcome.

We've got some good traditions but we seem to be bound by many of them - and our political system reflects this. A move to a new, purpose-built facility would help change this - especially if the two chambers were redesigned. It pains me to say it but Holyrood isn't a bad example.

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/03/2015 08:56:39:

I used to think I was a cynical old man but I was told that I was just a realist

No, You are not being cynical...you are a realist.

From George Bernard Shaw:

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Peter consider yourself an accurate observer.

Max

Posted by Andy48 on 04/03/2015 21:04:56:

Yes I'll go with that happily, or the Falklands come to think of it.

Edited By Andy48 on 04/03/2015 21:05:34

So I'd dip out on that then, having only served for 25 years and my only deployment was on Granby, but then as a REME A vehicle mech I was generally deployed as and when the tanks were required, , they didn't send them on Banner ( with the exception when the engineers used AVRE to take down the barriers) they only used light armour in the Falklands.... Before anyone calls me a dodger, I was posted between units every time a deployment was imminent, through no fault of my own ( as anyone who has served knows its all down to manning and records)

therefore I wont bother trying to get my nose into the trough with the other pigs, not that I'd want to

Even Mp's with good ideals and morals get hijacked and worn down by the system . It appears they are not allowed a free vote on anything important as the party whips tell them which way to vote; if they don,t vote as instructed the party threatens them !

It's democracy Jim ............but not as we know it surprise

Sincerely

Citizen Smith

ps just fell off my soap box wink

There's cynicism if ever you saw it Engine Doctor. MP's have their own view and their own vote.

Many, many times a motion has been blocked by folk in their own party as they voted against and action. Action against Syria, Palestine etc

Whilst they are labelled as Party Rebels and an official count is made of the fact that you have voted againt the party whip I doubt any would be threatened by their actions.

It is their right to vote in any way they want, as is ours, and that is a legal mandate. I am sure MP's would be up in arms very, very, quickly and go public within minutes should they start to receive threats.

Do you have any evidence that MP's get threatened if they don't adopt the party line? (Excluding UKIP, of course)

Career politicians are not the problem -it's them using their time as MP to further their career after politics that's the problem. Thats why they are selling off our assets so cheaply.....

Anyone who watched "The House Of Cards" which was repeated last week may think it was nearer the truth than fiction.......you may very well think that - I couldn't possibly comment.....

Posted by ted hughes on 05/03/2015 00:09:23:

Blimey, the palace of Westminster is a landmark building, similar in status to Notre Dame Cathedral, Manchu Piccu, or the Valley of the Kings.

It's hardly comparable. Most of it is a mock gothic structure built in the 19th century. I think Westminster Hall is quite old but not most of it. It wouldn't bother me to see it razed to the ground and a modern building put in its place.

Even better I would like to see the whole lot moved out of London further north. My father was a member of the British Horological Institute and they moved from London to Upton Hall near Southwell in 1972 thus securing a much better location for less expense. Why shouldn't the HoC and Lords?

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 05/03/2015 17:36:53:
Posted by ted hughes on 05/03/2015 00:09:23:

It's hardly comparable. Most of it is a mock gothic structure built in the 19th century. I think Westminster Hall is quite old but not most of it. It wouldn't bother me to see it razed to the ground and a modern building put in its place.

Even better I would like to see the whole lot moved out of London further north. My father was a member of the British Horological Institute and they moved from London to Upton Hall near Southwell in 1972 thus securing a much better location for less expense. Why shouldn't the HoC and Lords?

Geoff

I agree largely with your opinions. It is mock Gothic Victorian, and if it was a town hall somewhere else I would be happy to see it razed and a concrete office block go up. The Victorian's had some odd ideas about architecture, admittedly.

For all I know, it may not even be the hub of our political system anymore.

However, it is a landmark building, signifying London, as it St Paul's and Tower Bridge. It is often shown on news programmes and on our sauce bottles.

It would be a very poor show if we couldn't afford to underpin and repoint it, and we sold out to a modernist architect to put a Centrepoint or gherkin on the site, in my opinion.

Posted by ted hughes on 06/03/2015 00:08:44:

However, it is a landmark building, signifying London, as it St Paul's and Tower Bridge. It is often shown on news programmes and on our sauce bottles.

Sadly "our" sauce bottles are now made in and imported from the Netherlands..........

Sign of the times or what?