Dropped my new DX6 and it's broken!

Simon Hall 2

I spoke to a nice chap at Horizon this morning. He said they could use a gimble and switch unit from another Tx and just charge labour which he reckons will be about £20. Well, I can't get better than that. If this works out, I will fly a couple of flights with my old Radian to see how it goes. I don't want to risk my new Radian with the telemetry kit installed, even though I'd like to test that too. I just need to find the cheapest method of posting it recorded insured. Royal mail is usually expensive. Money is very tight as I have seriously overspent on this new hobby. It was originally supposed to be just the one Radian RTF. I don't know what happened!  All the kind advice is appreciated as ever.

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 17/03/2015 14:38:34

Advert

Simon, so glad it all worked out for you.

I find the best method of sending items is via My Hermes.

It is an excellent service and half the price of Royal Mail with the same cover.

You weigh the finished parcel, put that weight onto the website, add insurance, pay for it, print off the label, stick to the box and take to the nearest My Hermes outlet which can be anywhere.

Or, for another 50p (I think) will collect from your front door!

My Hermes

Edited By John F on 17/03/2015 16:09:07

Posted by John F on 17/03/2015 16:07:19:

Simon, so glad it all worked out for you.

I find the best method of sending items is via My Hermes.

It is an excellent service and half the price of Royal Mail with the same cover.

You weigh the finished parcel, put that weight onto the website, add insurance, pay for it, print off the label, stick to the box and take to the nearest My Hermes outlet which can be anywhere.

Or, for another 50p (I think) will collect from your front door!

My Hermes

Edited By John F on 17/03/2015 16:09:07

I sent it by Hermes today John and it was £5.98 with £100 cover. I'm very happy with that! Thanks for the tip. 

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 17/03/2015 18:31:52

Hope it gets fixed okay, I was right about being £20 labour charge, luckily, they gave you the spares for free, still If it were me, even though if fixed and seems to work ok, will not trust it, the reason why I never buy 2nd hand tx's - a hidden fault could crop up anytime, especially, as mentioned, the PCB should be checked for any damage.

Good luck, anyway.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 17/03/2015 18:39:36:

Hope it gets fixed okay, I was right about being £20 labour charge, luckily, they gave you the spares for free, still If it were me, even though if fixed and seems to work ok, will not trust it, the reason why I never buy 2nd hand tx's - a hidden fault could crop up anytime, especially, as mentioned, the PCB should be checked for any damage.

Good luck, anyway.

Thanks Paul, I do appreciate your advice and it totally makes sense in an ideal world. I am just not in a good financial position at the moment. Luckily I only fly 2 Radian foamies, but the new one I have equipped with telemetry would be hard to get over if I lost it, so I will try the repaired Tx with the old plane. Fingers crossed....

I usually find that going cheap costs more.

A friend, years ago put remoulds on his car, and one blew, causing him to lose control and crash down a ditch upside down.

For the sake of another £50 per front, he lost his car, almost killed himself and was charged £175 for the retrieval fee, as his insurance was 3rd party fire and theft, and didn't cover retrieval.

I don't really think I am going cheap by letting Horizon repair it. I would hope they would test it and let me know if there were potential issues. They could easily have said sorry, not worth the risk, BER. Would they risk bad feedback on this repair? I know they are a large company, but they generally have good customer service feedback.

I hope Paul doesn't use a receiver from a crashed model in another model ! Solid state electronics are very tough and can take most knocks unlike what we had in the early 27 meg days with 'Hivac' miniature hard valves (25mm long) which incidentally were use in missiles by the armed services

I don't. Once there is a crash, or unexplained, I won't use that item again. I lost a model at a fly in last year - unexplained, apart from it didn't respond to elevator and went in. Not sure if it was radio, but battery was still fully charged, radio still worked afterwards. The AR500 rx was not used again, As it may or not be that, but won't trust it.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 17/03/2015 21:37:45:

I don't. Once there is a crash, or unexplained, I won't use that item again. I lost a model at a fly in last year - unexplained, apart from it didn't respond to elevator and went in. Not sure if it was radio, but battery was still fully charged, radio still worked afterwards. The AR500 rx was not used again, As it may or not be that, but won't trust it.

I would throw away Rx's after a crash, luckily I use FrSky now. Though I have had one unexplained crash...the Rx got binned.

Anyway, best of luck with the Tx repair....would you know if the repairs come with a few months warranty ?

Edited By cymaz on 18/03/2015 06:41:50

Posted by Masher on 18/03/2015 07:54:20:

Good idea for a survey:

When you have an unexplained crash, what do you do with ALL the gear?

1 Test and access it.

2 Bin it.

3 Re-use it.

4 Ebay it.

5 Claim pilot error and ignore it.

laugh

Don't forget option 6 and 7

6. Ignore the bad flying or just plain bad luck and blame the radio

7. Blame the wireless doorbell three miles away

smiley

Edited By John F on 18/03/2015 10:50:36

I have been nervously expecting a phone call from Horizon Hobby sometime this week with news that hopefully my DX6 is not a write off and costings for the repairs and postage. I was surprised when a package arrived first thing this morning and it was my DX6. It was fully repaired with a replacement gimble unit and switch, tested and with an invoice for £0.00. Not even return postage costs! I know from the tracking when I sent the parcel that they signed for it at 4pm on Friday afternoon. Now that is what I call amazing customer aftercare and service. I will be sending them an email of thanks and appreciation. I will of course give the unit a good test at low altitude with my old Radian before I use it with my other plane.

Great news, Simon, I was rather hoping that would be the outcome, judging from previous customers' experiencesthumbs upwink 2

Pete

ps I know this wasn't a field accident but I was standing next to my mate Terry when he dropped his DX8 on tarmac.... not prettycrying 2

If you don't use a neckstrap, it might be worth giving it some consideration - Tx's don't bounce well!smile

Posted by Masher on 18/03/2015 07:54:20:

Good idea for a survey:

When you have an unexplained crash, what do you do with ALL the gear?

1 Test and access it.

2 Bin it.

3 Re-use it.

4 Ebay it.

5 Claim pilot error and ignore it.

laugh

As my crashes are usually due to number 5, I do number 1 and either 2 or 3 depending on the assessment. I wouldn't dream of eBaying it unless I made clear the reason.

Excellent service from HH. I'm not a Spektrum user now (I had a DX6i for a while until I bought my Taranis) but that it's good kit with good support can't be denied. You can hardly blame them for you throwing your transmitter on the floor

Geoff