EPP Foam Kit of a Avro Vulcan B2

Mark Kettle 1

I was hoping someone would mention this, thanks for that Ian, and yes Ian's right, from different transmitter manufactures the values can be reversed negative and positive transposed meaning the same thing however assigned differently.

Make sure you understand how to configure your transmitter before flying and that you are reducing the sensitivity near the centre of the control inputs so follow what ever the instruction manual is telling you for your particular radio that you are using..

• 2 months later...

Sorry everyone with the untimely delay with a reply or follow on entry on this RCME Model Flying platform about the Vulcan kits. Workshop time has been zero the last 5 weeks due to my part time work driving executive cars which has turned into a 55 to 65 hours a week job. Seems I've been covering for others holidays and sickness.

I've been told it will calm down a little the next few weeks when the business's we look after go on holiday themselves, so I will be able to get in the workshop again and work on the Vulcan kits.

I am currently on a small weekend break myself at the PSSA meeting at the Great Orme North Wales, and Tim Mackey pointed out how one or two people had asked him on the progress of the kits and builds people have shown interest in. I am glad that I took the business decision not to take any deposits for interest in pre-orders for my Vulcan model kits and I only except payment on completed of a kit or built when one is available or ready to be posted out or delivered.

Again I'm sorry for the delay and 'll be in touch as soon as soon as they are available and ready again.

If anyone would like to speak on the phone my number is 07958 772 123.

Kind regards Mark Kettle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted by William Evans 3 on 08/08/2015 23:27:39:
Does anyone know what is happening with availability if these Vulcan kits? I talked with Mark some months ago, but recent email and texts go unanswered. Mark, I hope you have not had an accident or illness.

Requested a Vulcan in March. Initially told '3rd week of April'. Had a PM re the delay in June (after pestering another forum member). Tried to contact via PM a couple of times since. No reply.

Given up expecting anything now.

............Hello William and Robert, I'm still here, cool, just ! ! !

There's been no accident or Illness you'll be pleased to know, however workshop time has been very low just lately with many - no - to many hours in the new job I changed to in April. Production been much slower than I would like, but I'm working down the list slowly.

from the top epp sheets of 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 mm widths.jpg

20140927_222247.jpg

1373740640037.jpg

Been slicing and cutting parts still in between trips out to Gatwick and Heathrow. Happens was talking to a chap who's part way into his build this morning whilst in Lincolnshire on the 'hands free' in the car on how to cover a epp Vulcan in brown paper. 

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/10/2015 15:11:56

Lads, give Mark room to breathe, I've been in a similar situation with my stuff and when its not your full-time job, real-life takes priority over toys and after all, whats the urgency? One thing I soon realised that does help is to ask people not to pay until the stuff is made, tested and ready to deliver, or more often, actually posted. This way theres no monetary commitment, no one has lost out if I step under a bus, and I sleep easier!

Mark I watched the two Vulcans video and I have to say, the formation flying was better than any 'professional' formation display I've seen at the Nats! These models are very realistic in flight, most impressive, well done.

Cheers
Phil

Cheers Phil with the comments about the flying, by the way this flying on the video was Tim Mackey and Phil Cooke.

I agree with you Phil on the money side with kits. It happens when customer / modellers have asked for a Vulcan I've put people on the list and only asked for the money when I'm just about to take the boxed kits for dispatch to the post office.

Also I better get some more sales in for end of the year period, reason being, I told the accountant to hang on to my rebate of tax from last year to pay for his services end of the year ! ! !

20131117_091340.jpg

Also recently had my partner Helen out selling some models and stock to make space for some deliveries of epp foam. 

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/10/2015 15:45:06

Oh Hi Phil, I'm glad your enjoying your Vulcan, the Spifire's ok, just changed the wing shape a bit so in profile it's a bit more realistic. I will launch it as a kit next year, if time allows. 

Just been in the loft stashing epp foam away and found this half finished design from 3 years ago, I may do it next year a well, if it flies well.

20140206_185303.jpg

20140206_185122.jpg

20140206_184123.jpg

Built a couple of examples ready for flight testing, I want it to be able to fly off grass or water.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/10/2015 16:23:02

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/10/2015 16:24:16

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/10/2015 16:27:17

• 5 months later...

Some 18 months on, mine is looking a little less prestine than in this maiden flight promo picture.

554003.jpg

The Orme can be unforgiving with its scattering of limestone protrusions and sharpened rocks here and there, and as my Vulcan flies on every trip I make to any slope, its time to refurb her.

I think the last PSSA meet on the ski slope site just about decided it, especially after my good mate Pete Garsden and I got a little too close once or twice whilst showing off our formation flying LOL.

Here's Pete with his alternative all built up version and somewhat broken Vulcan on the Orme that weekend.

20151011_152753.jpg

If he wasnt a top drawer lawyer - I'd sue him wink

Mine suffered also, not least of which was a snapped through nose section and a broken fin - despite which she continued to fly on ! Several other scrapes and flesh wounds have been acquired, including a weekend of almost constant flying on the Lleyn peninsular when the lift was very scratchy, and I ended up doing a "low pass" over a barbed wire fence - ouch.

So, heres what I've done so far - she has continued to fly constantly BTW but needs TLC before our first PSSA met in one weeks time!

Broken fin ( including all three spars ) repaired with epoxy and spliced in coffee stirers let into the balsa spars.

Nose sanded back to the foam ( a lot of cracking and paper missing too ) and cracks and missing lumps filled in with epoxy.

Gashes and cracks in various places opened up and filled with balsa / foam / filler, then top coated with epoxy.

As the nose and belly take a lot of punishment, I decided to glass cloth and resin cover them, and applied a smoothing coat of laminating epoxy afterwards for good measure. The belly also had holes and big chunk of foam missing following trial runs with bomb drop mechanisms which proved unsuccessful.

Thats another story.

Im not at all bothered about about the weight gain that will inevitably occur, as the wing loading was v low, and she will still be fine in anything but a very very low lift zone.

Pictures up next.........

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/04/2016 18:29:15

Heres the last picture for now - the rather rough looking belly and engine pods. Im not gonna fuss too much with this bit, as it gets a hammering anyway, and besides, I still need to make a reliable and concealed bomb drop mechanism.

Once all of this lot has thoroughly dried and hardened its on to mixing up some paints to match and, err, painting.

A top coat of clear water based varnish will be applied over the repaired areas of course.

belly.jpg

Any / all comments gratefully received regarding my decision to simply paint at this stage rather than paperhang first ?

Well, I pressed on with the lazy way - Just a coat of thin epoxy before paint. Paint was a bit of an issue as I messed up the little touch up pots that Mark had kindly sent me some time ago, and the stuff I had bought from Wilkos was acrylic and not the same colours, so after faffing around for hours trying to mix the right colours, I gave up and rang Mark. He pointed to the original thread where he shows the actual paints he used - but after researching suppliers etc online, it turns out the green is now a discontinued line, doh!

So I searched a couple of local shops today and found some gloss ( solvent based ) green floor paint, which seemed quite close and a small tin of black which I mixed up to darken it, and thinned with about 5% white spirit.

I brushed it on, and although the covering ability was not quite as good as the original stuff, it has done the job.

Underside now painted, and tomorrow should finish the top, then protect the lot with a spray can of varnish which I picked up in Aldi a year or so ago.