Chart Mascot

Stephen Tye

Advert

Agreed! Nobody should stand in front of a running prop in case they fly off or the model surges forward.. We cannot be sure if that model was really well fixed but it's important to ensure it is.

I am guessing that Stephen is a newcomer and has not yet been indoctrinated with safety precautions by other club members!

The Mascot was sold by Chart years ago but now it is a DB Sport & Scale kit

There's one thing you need to know that nobody ever seems to tell you. When I first learned, my instructor demonstrated what to do and said, "To turn the model to the left, move the aileron stick over a little." The thing they never mention is - how far is "a little?"

When an experienced pilot takes your Mascot up and has got it trimmed out, ask him to show you how to fly circuits. While he's doing that, don't watch the plane, watch the transmitter and see exactly how far (or how little) he moves the sticks. He'll no doubt put in "a little" up elevator after the aileron, so watch this, too.

With my Mascot (yes, I learned on one!) the instructor only moved the aileron stick about quarter of an inch. With the recommended control throws, that was enough to start a gentle turn. Your Mascot may be different, so watch what your instructor's doing.

Alistair

Clever Admiral though. No sex, racism, politics ect on this forum.

On a serious note Steven. That thing can do you life changing injuries. It can kill people. If you do not use an instructor ( I note it is the aileron version), it will fly well until you stuff it into the ground, within, I predict 30 seconds of take off. The last prediction assumes you are a natural at this game, and it was trimmed before takeoff. It will then be scrap. You have had fair warning.

Fine aircraft, made in their thousands, stick at it, go quietly at it, and stick at it, and you will be rewarded. Bull in a china shop just broke pottery, then went somewhere else. Make your mind up, flyer or bull.

This diatribe is powered by Beaujolais, but to misquote Winston Churchill, I will be sober tomorrow.

Recently, I taxied it on a remote field on the South downs near the coast, the ground was bumpy although it looked ok before the plane moved. I thought it would be easy to take off, just accelerate, lift the elevator up, and up up and away.. but it didn't quite happen that way.. I broke 2 props in 2 attempts and the 3rd attempt got the plane off the ground ( for less than 20 seconds) more like 6 seconds before nosediving into the grass. There went prop no.3 and the front end of the plane, plus an engine mounting. Since then I'v rebuilt it and attempted a smoother field take off, and am presently on frontal rebuild no.2. So I'm faced with 2 choices. 1. keep trying at the risk of more repairs or 2. club, Instructor etc. It's highly likely i will be going for option 2.

Posted by Stephen Tye on 05/04/2015 09:28:45:

Recently, I taxied it on a remote field on the South downs near the coast, the ground was bumpy although it looked ok before the plane moved. I thought it would be easy to take off, just accelerate, lift the elevator up, and up up and away.. but it didn't quite happen that way.. I broke 2 props in 2 attempts and the 3rd attempt got the plane off the ground ( for less than 20 seconds) more like 6 seconds before nosediving into the grass. There went prop no.3 and the front end of the plane, plus an engine mounting. Since then I'v rebuilt it and attempted a smoother field take off, and am presently on frontal rebuild no.2. So I'm faced with 2 choices. 1. keep trying at the risk of more repairs or 2. club, Instructor etc. It's highly likely i will be going for option 2.

That would be my advice.

It looks like you are one of those people who learn the hard way. All I can say is that however remote that field was on the South Downs, it was still a field in one of the most highly populated parts of Great Britain. You will not have been far away from houses, cars and people. Had your model hit something, or even worse someone, I would not like to be standing in your shoes.

Flying a model aircraft is not as easy as it looks. You might have got away with a foamy glider or park flyer in that location but a total novice trying to fly an i/c powered trainer is a recipe for disaster.

I cannot pull as much rank as Percy but I am a competent flier and a BMFA Club Level Approved instructor.

Repair your model, join a club, get insured and take some lessons from an instructor.

Oh... and welcome to the hobby!

Edited By David Davis on 05/04/2015 09:45:35

Yes, I'v already began looking around Sussex clubs online. I visited one some time ago when i first bought the model but their fees were higher than normal sites so i was put off as i don't know whether i'll like the hobby yet as i havn't flown anything. Another i'v looked at seems to be under water half of the yr. So am still looking. I will find one, join and take the plane. They can check it all out and not sure whether they will want me to fly their club plane on the buddy fox or my own.. But don't worry... I had to try. I did so and i couldn't do it.