X12D-Horus

Josip Vrandecic -Mes

The long awaited Chinese "Jeti" :
16/32 channels, extremely powerful hardware - Software FrSky own development of "zero" - means there is nothing to OpenTX (not a shred).
OpetnTX (if ever) will not appear for Horus at least the next two years.
New FrSky software is "menu driven" - similar to the Futaba, etc. Spec. And certainly in the beginning not support all of the radio can (hardware is insanely powerful) - the tool will be added "on the fly" - that seems to be common practice in all brands.
Hardware what is in the pictures is fixed - no more changes to the beginning of sales - with the exception of a better display.
I further argue that the sale starts in September at a price of $ 500 - although appearing speculation about the "add on" extra functions.

110247-6

Advert

If its not OpenTx then I am not interested. Having spent the best part of 12 months tuning myself mentally to a new system I am not prepared to now learn a different system

The pads are actually switches - probably used for configuration. you probably wouldn't want to rest your hands on them

I do like the large screen though although I wish it was black not grey

Martyn

Oh goodie! I want! laugh

The looks are 100% better than the current Taranis. I have one and the case is it's biggest failing.

Looks cheap, feels cheap. This new one at least looks like it was designed in the 21st Century!

It looks like it's more gearing toward tray pilots, or pinch pilots.

Any details on the functionality of the new software?

Definitely on my buy list. A good thread on RCG deals with the development, and I've been keeping this thread updated when possible too.

Please also note that OpenTX appearing in "two years if ever" is a bit misleading - the OpenTX devs have been saying that they would support it as long as they had access to hardware.  

FRSky are trying to hit a wider audience with this radio, so no OpenTX at release is the safest way to go - they are trying to hook people used to menu driven programming (Futaba, Jeti etc.)

If you really want their new product with OpenTX, take a look at the X9E.

Edited By Andy Meade on 23/04/2015 13:55:33

I heard on an American podcast, where they interviewed the FrSky guys at the Toledo Show, the FrSky are releasing the protocols to enable third party development.

It may become the new OpenTx,

And with apologies to Josip, the photo in post #1 does not do it justice.

Edited By Kevin Wilson on 23/04/2015 19:16:57

Just been on FRSky site for a better look, you are right, I stand corrected, this looks a neat piece of kit now I can see it properly, colour shouldn't matter....but it looks much better in black. Question please, anyone have an idea how compatible it will be with other makers RX, like Spektrum?

Edited By Steve T on 27/04/2015 13:25:07

Probably much the same as current FRSky protocols - none. It's a totally separate brand with their own take on frequency hopping etc., so don't expect anything else (other than a FRSky telemetry enabled RX) to work with it.

Which is no bad thing of course! Full range, high quality receivers are quite cheap with FRSky.

Shame though, never mind a DX6 may have far less channels but I suppose I will be a little more confident with Spektrum, no problems with any of mine so far, and I did have a FRSky that wouldn't bind with it's own rx so replaced the lot with Speky gear.

Posted by Andy Meade on 23/04/2015 13:50:21:

If you really want their new product with OpenTX, take a look at the X9E.

Edited By Andy Meade on 23/04/2015 13:55:33

I wish they had put the LCD screen at a high level. I am also a little puzzled about the switch placement - 2 rows of 5 x 2 - looks rather easy to select the wrong switch by accident, especially operating by feel.

I do like the tray and the slimness of it.. I suspect that £=$ parity will apply so expect it to be £250+ - which still looks very good value

Martyn

I like the tray layout. Having moved to using a transmitter tray, I am all for having a tray integrated. I also like the aluminium top panel, that looks very hard wearing to me.

+1 for the new design - I would be happy with it, just cant afford it

Martyn

• 2 months later...

FrSky X12D "Horus" released for sale! Well not really.

If you head over to the FrSky product page for the radio here: **LINK**

Take a look in the upper right corner at the "Buy Now" button!

That links to this web address:

http://shop105609777.taobao.com/index.htm

Looks like a free shop account...?

Problem is that it NEVER loads...

So close and yet so far...

The FrSky forum was quoting a late June release, now they are quoting a forth quarter release.

I'm gonna wait until Christmas or maybe longer, as it will take them at least that long to iron the bugs out...

I do agree with Andy, are there any good looking Txs out there?

Most moulded cases are full of ribs, very few flat faces, due to the practicality of of the moulding process. That flat faces tend to show up any shrinkage issues etc. The much vaunted, that is by some Jeti, is so blingy that it offends.

I also have the same general reservations of Martyn, that the arrangement of switches, not only on the Huros, but in general, seem to owe more stying or maybe production needs than ergonomics.

Yet at the end of the day, we quickly come to terms with both the looks and operability of our sets. In some cases to the extent that they become perfect and are worth dying in a trench to defend.

The irony is i am still debating if and when I will buy a Tarnis, never mind a Huros. It will certainly have to better than a Tarnis, what ever better actually is!

Edited By Erfolg on 13/07/2015 21:33:33

Posted by Erfolg on 13/07/2015 21:32:40:

I do agree with Andy, are there any good looking Txs out there?

Most moulded cases are full of ribs, very few flat faces, due to the practicality of of the moulding process. That flat faces tend to show up any shrinkage issues etc. The much vaunted, that is by some Jeti, is so blingy that it offends.

I'd be interested to know your definition of "bling" Erf, I'd have called the Jeti understated rather than blingy! It's easy to clean,solid and practical, to my mind.

The only bling is in the price of the 16 channel versions - but the even more understated DS/DC-14s are considerably cheaper.

Our cousins across the big pond do get rather excited by the less restrained special versions championed by the US importer but the standard versions in black and aluminium grey continue to impress with their restrained "engineered" lines!

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/07/2015 12:57:26

Martin

That is the thing about appearance, one persons tasteful is anothers outrageous bling, tack.

When I think of good aesthetic design, I really do think the principles of Bauhaus. That the design is simple, stripped back to its basic of form and functionality.

When I see Jeti, i see awkward shapes, unsympathetic use of colour, the same ergonomic issue of the row of buttons as on the Huros. In fact can I differentiate between the two?

A immediate question mark arises to the position of the trims. Requiring a braille approach to locating the button wanted. This contrasts with locating each trim logically adjacent to each stick movement.

I assume that both have adopted the flat front in part as a consequence of the materials used in the fascia.

The positive is the screen in a far more viewable position and orientation.

As to my favourites, I would go way back to RCM&E kitted radio, or a few Microns.

But at the end of the day it is all opinion. I guess that Jeti and potentially Horus floats your boat. You are are potentially one of the thousands that see the txs a little differently to myself and Frsky are appealing to.

I fall pretty much into the same camp as Andy, I am more interested in the Ergonomics. That is the feel and balance of the Tx. Which in conjunction with the location, sizing and functionality of switches, all determine as to how I see the Tx.

It is obvious that up to a point, that at any time, the more you pay for the Tx, the greater is the capability of the system. That is until you consider the present Frsky equipment, which currently provide more reliable bangs per buck than any other supplier. Is this really the Frsky unique selling point.

Posted by Erfolg on 14/07/2015 14:17:45:

Martin

That is the thing about appearance, one persons tasteful is anothers outrageous bling, tack.

When I think of good aesthetic design, I really do think the principles of Bauhaus. That the design is simple, stripped back to its basic of form and functionality.

When I see Jeti, i see awkward shapes, unsympathetic use of colour, the same ergonomic issue of the row of buttons as on the Huros. In fact can I differentiate between the two?

A immediate question mark arises to the position of the trims. Requiring a braille approach to locating the button wanted. This contrasts with locating each trim logically adjacent to each stick movement.

I can't argue that taste is personal but I think I should correct a few misapprehensions...

The row of buttons are used during menu navigation and not in flight. They are "soft" buttons which adopt functions depending on the use at the time and are clearly identified on the screen.

While the trims may look odd, they are actually quite intuitive - especially easy to use when assigned as cross function i.e. use the left set for the right stick and vice versa when you don't have to feel for individual trims (and with the amount of different transmitters I use when test flying I think I'm fairly well qualified to comment!) although I use the auto-trim facility extensively which almost makes them redundant.

Perhaps I'm colour blind (actually, I know I'm not) but the use of classic white lettering on a black background hardly seems unsympathetic to me - unless you're referring to the small splashes of colour in the manufacturer's logo?

Quite honestly, I'd have thought the simple and functional styling (shamelessly copied by FRSky and yes, they have blinged it up a lot) would have appealed to your Bauhausian principles! A couple of posts back you were complaining about the proliferation of ribbed fascias and now a flat face is simply a limitation of manufacture and not a virtue?