A question for beginners

A structured training programme might be the answer to the new fliers problems. The British Sub Aqua Club use such a    programme to train recruits to SCUBA diving.

Each new member is issued with a log book.A course of lectures on diving theory is listed therein and new entrants must attend these lectures,usually delivered on the clubs social night.Any questions on the subject are dealt with at the end which gives the trainees a chance to clarify in their minds matters about which they are unsure.The ten or so lectures are delivered on an endless basis so that a trainee who misses one or more can attend when the missed lecture comes round again although hthey may have to wait a few weeks(which will encourage them not to miss lectures).The lecturer initials the log book as evidence that the trainee was present.

Practical training is delivered on training night,trainees at about the same level being allocated to a trainer.After training is completed the trainees take a written and practical test to prove they have absorbed the contents of the lectures and practical training.They are then awarded the equivalent of the `A' certificate and proceed to further training in open water and more advanced lectures before passing further practical and written tests to enable qualification as a sports diver.

A similar training program might advantageosly be introduced at model flying clubs ,perhaps starting with a simulator as the first step in practical training,to get rid of the hit and miss quality which seems to prevail in most clubs.It does entail some sacrifice by trainers and lecturers but  trainees might be better served in both theory and practice.

Their is of course  the possibility of the trainees paying a modest fee to club funds for each traing unit they attend.

PS  Seecomber 

I did my Sub Aqua stuff in a freezing cold outdoor pool in Matlock north of Derby  when it was snowing  in January .Never enjoyed a pint so much as after that  !  Next place I dived was St Abbs Head  ( Berwick - North sea ) Never dived since although I lived in Cornwall most of my life

I,m with Myron on this.

Bad enough at club level, we now have to take the A test before we can fly without someone looking over our shoulder.

Very little danger involved compared to SCUBA diving.

Bring back the 70's, life was more fun then.

Kelvin

We did what we wanted didn't we .No  cotton wool AND we're still here to talk about it .Abolish all suits I say . Even wet ones ( chicken Eh ! )

Grumpy Myron

On behalf of all those who have learnt & sometimes prospered by/&on their own  endeavours even in adverse circumstances well done ---& when I say prospered  I dont mean money ! Knowledge ? friends / satisfaction/ achievements in spite of more or less everything thrown at you/one.

Beginning to sound like Rocket Ron   Gud' lad " Man of the world " & that includes reality 

Off " thread "again I'll never "cotton "on

• 2 weeks later...

As a beginner, I had to make a choice concerning my first model. I think I made the right one. I purchased a Rond Loper, a complete model for £50 from SMC. Took the model to the only available site: deep valley with a 4-5 breeze flowing down the valley. Not ideal, as I wanted to launch across with the strong breeze trying to lift my port wing... I took a deep breath, heart in mouth, and went for it!! First flight: superb! I got a real high from this equal to sailing and better than the real thing.

Brilliant introduction to model flying.

Even though... I crashed...!!

So i thought why not join a club? Ha ha ha!! Anyone would think I was asking a bloke to marry me!! I don't know if this is just Isle of Wight syndrome or what, but trying to join a club without pretentious people is a joke. I'm a local and want to have a good laugh with my flying BUT NO!!!! I got a frosty reception and I'm a nice bloke!! Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please do tell. My mate thought this reception was pretty awful too... If anyone knows any decent places to fly on the island please please please let me know by posting a message. It was as if I were back in the playground- "You can't play in my gang!"

by Barry Biggles

Its always sad to hear when folks have these negative experiences with flying clubs. those affiliated to the BMFA have, in my opinion, a duty by association with that body to actively encourage beginners and it is always disheartening to hear things aren't so. and I thought people on the isle were such friendly folk too

• 2 weeks later...

hi all moved new house been a while

i was thinking of going electric,well i did i brought the hobby-zone spit, wow ,"heart over brain" i now sit in the back of the van. had 11 flights now .1 flight was hairy but hav`nt been that exited nervous or proud after i got her down safely  since losing my virginity,rest is improving all the time now landing at my feet so be it 20 ft last 5 flights brought extra battery ,sometimes getting 2 sessions a day 25min each.but waiting for that calm day in right locations is hardest .sat nav has many decent field saved to memory now and going up.had one near miss when wind took it towards tree tops .thank to hours off simulation flying i did`nt panic ,,a good learning curve that ,now look at tree tops instead of antenna ribbon  ,,but yeah brilliant 

still waiting to hear from local flying clud but again no answers ?

still can`t wait to get the i.c up though  

Hi All,

Having attempted to get into the hobby in my teens (crashed trainers and warped gliders) I have returned with vigour and determination. In the early days it was quite straight forward. 1 x high wing trainer, OS 25 and a Futaba radio. Join a club ,turn up every Sunday until the old chap with the cool Spitfire finally told you your aircraft was fit for purpose and he'd show you how to fly it. Attempt to fly, lose control, go home with bag of bits and ZAP.

I was a bit shocked when I started exporing the forums and websites, at the sheer number of choices you are faced with. Having decided to go electric and 'green' I was then faced with the joy of desyphering all the acronyms and electricery that is involved. Do I go Lipo and risk blowing up my shed ? Do I stick with Nimh for cost issues. To brush or be brushless! Having decided to go light and slow I've opted for a Slow Stick to start things of. The friendly chaps at Steve Webb saw me right with choice of battery, receiver etc and I'm hoping to get up to the park as soon as the weather is better. I'm going to attempt to teach myself through FMS sim and slow gentle flights although a few fliers in Richmond park have offered to help with the first steps. Wish me luck!

Cheers Fraser

Hi Fraser,

You could invest in a model aircraft flight sim to help with your flying skills.

I have the Real flight G-3.5,this is a bit on the expensive side, a lot of sims are very low in price and worth every penny.

I returned to R/C flying after a 30+ years gap and it helped me get back in the groove, I would have crashed on my first flight had I not practised on the Sim first .

Good luck

Kelvin

I'm not the first to mention it in this thread but the hardest aspect for me as a beginner has been finding a club and somewhere to fly.

I might have a bit of a head start flying models, as I have a fairly good idea of what they should do, how to trim an aircraft etc, so teaching myself to fly a small electric foamy like the HZ Cub was easy enough with the help of computer sims. Soon the Cub became an aileron trainer, moving to low wing such as the PZ Trojan was a natural progression (but not the PZ Mustang, that was a bad experience it was just too big a jump at the time).

I read for years in magazines, that the best option was to join a club, get an instructor, etc. I'm sure it is great advice but it was something that just never actually happened and  it won't be until January 2009 that I will be considered for my local club. Not a great start, it is easier to get into a full sized flying club, there all I need to do is get out the credit card  

- so as it is I fly just with my 10 year old in any space we can find and learn by mistakes, not that many of them really considering I'm entirely self taught and one badly trashed model out of 5 is better than waiting for a year before getting a chance to try (even that one has since been resurected for less than £40)!

It has made me wonder if I want to bother joining a club now that doesn't seem that eager for me to become a member, negotiations with the local farmer to secure a private model flying area seem in order.  

Just glad you guys are here to make up for the fact I can't ask club members for advice!

Gemma, sounds like you're doing very well but a club can offer a lot of help and inspiration that solo flying by nature simply doesn't. Try going a long to some of the local club flying sessions to see what you think before you pay a joining fee. Get a feel for the ambience so to speak. You can see what people fly and whether you want to follow say, the i.c. route or stay with electrics perhaps. You can see how may instructors there are too....

Hi Dave (Adhby)

I am totally new to model flying and in fact have not even received my Multiplex EasyCub in the post yet (from sussex-models). For me the hardest thing for a beginer is the sheer volume of products and technologies that are all competing for your investment. I found it very hard to konw what to by - glider, IC, electric, EDF etc. etc. Then there are all the different types of construction: balsa, plastics, foams. After deciding which general direction you want to go in then you have to try and decide on brands and models etc. As a newbie to this hobby there is alot of work to do in informing yourself of what is out there and trying to make and educated guess as to what will suit a learner best - I hope I have chosen correctly!!