RCM&E Autumn Special 2015- New 72" Mossi

My plan, vac form set, cnc pack, retracts and pilots arrived earlier this week. But I was disappointed to see no wing joiners and, when I checked with TN, he said they're in the wood pack, which I hadn't ordered. I now have to order them separately direct from SLEC.

I've suggested to TN that he removes the "... plus much more" part of his description for the cnc pack for, as far as I can see, it doesn't contain anything more that the specific parts described.

• 2 months later...

My build is going quite well, just installed all the hinge blocks and servo rails in the wings this afternoon. Before putting the bottom skin on I decided to just reassure myself that both sets of joiner tubes were in perfect alignment, so I cut the SLEC aluminium joiners to the lengths given on the plan, and used them to connect the two wing halves, without the fuselage. They went together smooth as butter, but it was then that I realised that with the fuselage in place the main joiner would not be long enough to go all the way into the wing tubes, as indicated on the plan.

Measuring on the plan it looks like 460mm will allow the joiner to reach as far as rib W3 on each side which, from an engineering point of view I think should be okay. Can you confirm this is the intent?

• 1 year later...

p1010347.jpgp1010340.jpgI love the shape of the mosquito and built a BT one a few years ago and converted to electic. I build and fly for the fun of it so I do not go overboard with detail as I want to be able to enjoy the flying aspect as well. I kept the weight to minimuim to improve the flying side as in Johannesburg we have fot and high conditions. My final weight was 5.5 kg which was a little lighter than BT's one. Flew very well from the first flight and showed just how good the real aircraft was. Martin, I am sure you will be rewarded with great aircraft.

_dsc3386.jpg

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately mine died today on a test flight prior to the club scale day next weekend. Ideal conditions but it swung left on take off and could not be corrected with rudder. It lifted and went in before I could react and shut the motors. I can only think that the left motor suffered a power loss. Probably looks worse than it is but I doubt that I shall have the heart to repair it. I`ll get the motors/esc`s/batteries on a test bench to see if I can find any fault.

That's bad news mate. My old man has just gave me he's 72" Mossie built from the old CAP plan in the very early 80's. It has never flown because it done exactly the same thing on take off on it's initial test flight too. He did repair it, but it is such a rough old dog it will probably take more effort than it is worth to get right. plus the nacelle's have been cut away quite badly to take two Enya 35s. it weighs a ton too, which ain't great on a narrowly tapered wing. Think I'm going to just build Tony's one from scratch and get it right from the off.