RCM&E Autumn Special 2015- New 72" Mossi

Thanks Guys, Great looking model Steve.......hope I can match your detailing in the time i have leftsmile o

I decided to build the model conventionally using a side centre section on each side of the fuse, clamped in a fuselage jig and the stringers added. Then planked.....not my favorite job but you can't not do it on a mossi!

I doubt the model will be more then 12lbs and the current airframe is only 3lbs with the wings now sheeted but still the nacelles to do

More up-dates coming.....

Can't help thinking two 70s might be a bit much. A while ago I built a TopFlite DC3, which is 82" span and weighed about 10.5lbs. It flew like a Mosquito on two Thunder Tiger GP40 two strokes, PLENTY of power. A friend of mine is building a 96" span Dragon Rapide, which will be between 50 and 20 lbs, for two Laser 70s.

Two 70's will be far too much you are right, even though the Dc3 and especially the rapide are much slower/lower powered aircraft than a mossie.

While on paper they are only a 140 (70x2) which for a single engine model of this span/weight would be about right, a twin has more power as the 70's will easily do 10k on 13x6 props but you would never get a 140 to turn a 26x6 prop at 10000rpm.

According to an online calculator the two 70's turning 13x6 apc's at 10k will give a total of almost 17lbs of thrust which would be fantastic for getting big scale loops.

I can also investigate using up some of my 'spare' power by sticking a bigger prop on it , perhaps even 3 blade, and not loose flying performance from the model while enhancing the appearance. even if the engine is not giving its best due to inefficiency of the 3 blade props or the lower rpm from a larger two blader. The spare engine performance might also come in handy if ever I should loose an engine for some reason. Its unlikely with the Lasers, but anything can happen.

In any event, I do agree that its overdoing it, but they are the engines I have available (laser don't make smaller ones!) so with careful selection of props and intelligent use of the left stick I do not expect any trouble

So wings sheeted and one nacelle done...

The nacelles were always going to be a bit time consuming but very pleased how they turned out....a lot of razor planing requiredsmiley

Bespoke electric retract should be with me next week.......

img_3172.jpg

img_3173.jpg

img_3174.jpg

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 29/05/2015 22:28:56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well happy to report she flew today...in her birthday suit on probably the windiest day I have ever flown in, let alone a test flightsurprise

Gusting at almost 30 knots and a nasty cross wind, I had decided to only do taxiing trials....At walking pace, the back end was off the ground.....However with a bad forecast for Sunday and being at Cosford next weekend, I thought to myself....i cant wait 2-weeks so I'll go for it. Not always the best approach to the first test flight but hey WW2 is my comfort zone.

Needless to say even with a cross wind she track straight and gently lifted off.....Only the slightest of trim changes and she was flying straight and level....even if the wind was kick her from all direction. Although it wasn't a pretty sight in the sky (scale wise), I didn't feel uncomfortable at any point.....oh apart from when I slowed her in a down wind turn and the back end dropped.....now she could have flicked at this point due to those sharp wing tips but her manners were impeccable.....fortunately for me!!blush

After only four circuits enough was enough...the wind conditions were foul....so bought her in without flap (just not needed in the strong wind) I had to keep the power on and driver her on to the strip..... literally landing at walking pace! but bucking and kicking with every gust....Got her finally down but bent one UC leg in the process (only a 5mm pin so easily straightened)......so clearly don't do as I do, stick to a nice 5-10 knot breeze

All in all not too bad bearing in mind the conditions and I have to say my poor 'out of practice' flying skills.....

Now to crack on and finish the model and some better weather!

Picture taken after the flight

img_3254.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/07/2015 22:31:59

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys......although this will be a free plan in the magazine, all the parts will be available through the TND web site, not myhobbystore.

Graham chambers who does the plan re-working for RCME and compacts the design into 4 sheets of A1 paper, is going to have his work cut out on this one!