Old Glow Fuel

Mark Stringer

Hi All

Having been electric for many moons after a bit of a show career I have some glow fuel stacked up and wondered if it would be any good or what I could do with it.

I have several plastic 5 litre cans of straight, 5% and 10% glow fuel .. all about 15 years since they were used.

Will they be any good?

Can I revitalise them?

If not where can I dispose of them?

Thanks .. have a couple of I/C planes I was thinking of digging out and wondered if I could use any of it.

Advert

I once asked the owner of Southern Modelcraft Fuels about extended shelf life of glow fuel and his opinion was that provided its been kept in a cool and preferably dark environment, with the container tightly sealed against moisture, then its life should be indefinite.

Have had fuel that's six years old, stored as above and it ran perfectly well.

Edited By Cuban8 on 15/05/2015 14:10:52

It depends largely on the type and how it has been stored, but my own experience is that old fuel goes off after 3 or 4 years. That's not to say it all does, but I found mine unusable even after keeping it in the dark and tightly sealed in its original container.

Having said that, you've nothing to lose by trying it. Worst case is that it doesn't run.

Good luck...

I have a stash of Southern model craft 5 and 10 percent, bought in 1994, and re found recently. Stored in a cool, dark, but damp place. Not ideal, but unused gallon tubs. Engines run fine on it.

The best answer is as above, get some fresh fuel, tune the motor on it, and then try it on the old. Certainly unused old tubs will probably be OK.

Re disposal, you can try the council but the easiest way is to burn it in a metal tub, but be very careful. It is quite wooshy if warm, and burns hot, and with very little colour so you can't see if it still burning or not. Recipe for bad burns. Do not ever put more fuel on a started fire. After it goes out the residue is waste oil. It gets rid of old fuel, but I say again, be careful, it's not as bad as petrol, but in the same ballpark.

Don't do what I did and surreptitiously pour it on the garden, when I had about a third of a gallon of contaminated fuel

It killed some plants, didn't touch the weeds, and my protestations of innocence cut no ice at all blush

I suspect the issue is the plastic of the container.

Whilst absolutely water proof some plastics can be slightly porous to some hydro carbons which over a long period may alter the fuel/nitro/oil ratios slightly.

In this respect metal cans are better as long as any rolled seams are perfect but of course they do eventually rust!Nitro is hydroscopic!

Its contents (half full?) had completely disappeared over the course of 35 years leaving just an oil stain!

Re my post of 15:30:10, I see I have uses the same term tub for a fuel container, as for an open container like a dish to burn fuel off in. Just in case anyone is confused, for gods sake don't try to burn fuel in anything other than a dish. Put a flame to a fuel container and you have a bomb. Sorry about the useless choice of English.

Anyone who watched IndyCar racing will have seen the awful invisible flames from Methanol. Just spilling methanol onto a hot exhaust caused an invisble fire. The procedure was for any person on fire to flap their arms around to get attention as nobody could see the flames, then buckets of water were immediately poured over the driver or mechanic - usually took 3 or 4 buckets to douse a person. Because of the instant reaction from pit crew and water buckets on hand everywhere I dont think there were any serious injuries in recent years. But it's horrible to watch.

Deliberatly setting fire to glow fuel (methanol) seems crazy to me!

Posted by Donald Fry on 15/05/2015 17:23:05:

You were a hooligan with that motor stuck up the front of that poor little thing.

Very true .. first time i got it run in and on song it just did a wing-over from launch ... scared the hell out of me .. the one with the spitfire was a dream. .. got on on the side waiting .. BNIB as they say smiley

I had a 3/4 can of Glow fuel (think it was Southern Modelcraft 5 %, but not sure) that was about 15 years old when I tried to use it and my OS 40 FS ran awful on it. I was probably getting half power, two thirds at best. Still got a bit of it, starts bonfires a treat though (usual safety caveats apply!)

Perhaps sometimes it will keep in perfect storage conditions.

Shaunie.