Slingsby T-31M ------ T31M Complete Set by Myhobbystore

Best of luck with the maiden - just make sure those screw fastening pushrods connectors are properly tightened and loctited (and rechecked regularly). Personally, I only ever use them for throttles...z bends or clevices for me...

Did you consider mounting the engine sideways and perhaps adding a dummy cylinder on the opposite side?

...and rather spookily, just 6 hours after posting the warning above, I was checking over a clubmate's new Piper Cub which had these devices on all of his servo arms. I took special care to check that I couldn't move the rods in the connectors and asked him to confirm that he'd done them up as tightly as possible.

We ran the engine for a while in order to iron out some flow problems and once satisfied that all should be well for the maiden, carried it out to the strip. As per my normal practice, I did a final control check for direction and movement before taxying out - and the elevator failed to move.

I stopped the engine and we took it back to the pits for examination. You're probably ahead of me by now - yes - the servo arm was moving freely up and down the pushrod...please check yours again very closely before flying (if you decide to stick with them).

Very neat build Edward, love the wheels too. On the subject of control surface clevices people sometimes slide a piece of fuel tube over them (once attached to the control horn) as a keeper, to stop them springing open in flight. Can happen, especially with an IC engine. Your workshop (man cave) is amazingly neat too!

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

I will take extra precautions with the push rod fastening screws, before every flight. Already they are fitted with loctite.

A couple of years back this FS 60 was fitted to a Piper J3. And it had a Dummy Cylinder. Hope you will like the pictures. I did not consider it with the Slyingsby, as the weight of the FS 60 alone was 200 g. more than what is recommended.

dscf1969.jpg

dscf1970.jpg

dscf1971.jpg

dscf1972.jpg

Thatbis great. When I was looking at the earlier pictures I was going to say that I thought that it might need some down thrust but obviously you got that right.

That dummy engine is beautiful, really looks perfect. I know just how hard they are to make.locamp static 011.jpg

I love those wheels too. I used to have a pair of Fulton Hungerford's wheels but they were a little smaller.

Nice tailwheel unit too.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 13/03/2016 08:34:32:

Lovely, a video with sound would be the icing on the cake yes . Is the OS61 powerful enough? reason I ask is I have an old Vega 50 horizontal twin, this could be an ideal model for it.

A video will be uploaded to the Youtube , and the link will be posted soon!!

I had only a few flights yesterday, and believe that the FS60 is delivering just the right amount of power.

I am not familiar with the Vega 50 horizontal twin. I would love to see a picture of it, if possible, please.

Posted by Edward Perera on 14/03/2016 03:55:18:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 13/03/2016 08:34:32:

I had only a few flights yesterday, and believe that the FS60 is delivering just the right amount of power.

I am not familiar with the Vega 50 horizontal twin. I would love to see a picture of it, if possible, please.

Here you go, but if the OS61 was just enough I don't think the Vega 50 will cut it, it's probably slightly less powerful than the original OS40FS, thanks.

vega .50 twin (danny.act).jpg

Posted by Martin Harris on 10/03/2016 23:50:13:

...and rather spookily, just 6 hours after posting the warning above, I was checking over a clubmate's new Piper Cub which had these devices on all of his servo arms. I took special care to check that I couldn't move the rods in the connectors and asked him to confirm that he'd done them up as tightly as possible.

We ran the engine for a while in order to iron out some flow problems and once satisfied that all should be well for the maiden, carried it out to the strip. As per my normal practice, I did a final control check for direction and movement before taxying out - and the elevator failed to move.

I stopped the engine and we took it back to the pits for examination. You're probably ahead of me by now - yes - the servo arm was moving freely up and down the pushrod...please check yours again very closely before flying (if you decide to stick with them).

Hi Martin,

I may have check the wheel collars as well !!!!

_mg_4837.jpg

We had to scan the landing area to find the lost wheel collar. And we found it !!!_mg_4841.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 10/03/2016 at 08:02, Edward Perera said:

Edward, I know its a long time since you posted this, but I have built or tried to, some models requiring struts, ( the securing method really) but have never found some thing I really like. Can you give me some detail on the fuse couplings, look really good.

Bas

• 7 months later...