Help with difficult model choice decision

Help choosing.

I'm hoping to add a warmliner / hotliner / aerobatic type glider to my fleet but as always making the final decision is proving to be somewhat difficult.

I have narrowed things down to two models from Staufenbiel and a wildcard from Topmodel as follows.

Staufenbiel Spirit V Evo (2m)

staufenbiel spirit-v-evo.jpg

Staufenbiel Vegas (2m)

staufenbiel vegas.jpg

Topmodel Salto (2.2m)

ecotop_salto_2_26m.jpg

I have read the excellent reviews on the two Staufenbiel models by a certain Mr. D.Ashby and, I have the relevant pages of the mag before me as I type but, finding a clear cut winner isn't coming easily to me.

Any input gratefully received.

Steve.

Advert

I have the Vegas and it flies very nicely and goes pretty well, but the rudder is not very effective and stall turns are not very good, but then again V tails don't stall turn very well either! but it is a very slippy machine and I've managed to thermal mine as well.

The Salto does look good, but the wheel and larger fuselage will mean if has a bit more drag. (I also don't like scale gliders with a propeller attached, but that's a personal preference)

The plug in wings on the Vegas are a nice touch as it means rigging it up takes no time at all. There's a video of mine here

I have the Staufenbiel Cougar which is slightly smaller than the Vegas and Spirit, but with the set up I've installed it performs extremely well as a Hotliner, especially for a budget model. The Salto will never outperform the other two in terms of thermalling ability or being hooned around, so which do you prefer, vee or tee tail?

Many thanks for the replies gentlemen, lots of food for thought.

The model will definitely be for "hooning around" so perhaps the Salto wouldn't be the best choice here. I watched your video as part of my research Frank and the Vegas certainly slips around very nicely. While I normally like good rudder authority on my models, I think for the intended purpose of the model in my fleet I won't worry about that too much on this occasion.

Bill_B, I did consider the Cougar but it's really a tad too small, although I may add the slightly larger Cheetah to my list. And, to be honest, I do prefer Tee Tails to Vee.

John, in an ideal world perhaps.

Hi Steve,

I must be a bit of a Staufie fan as I've bought the Cheetah too. The model that goes in the car the most is the Vegas at the moment as it's heavier than the Cheetah and Spirit so carries a bit more inertia and flies on breezier days. It's a typical glider scenario in so far as they're all nice and slightly different. I'd suggest the Vegas or Cheetah though.

A certain D.Ashby smile

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/05/2015 09:32:57

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your input. I was kind of hoping that you'd chip in with your first hand experiences of the models in question.

I think it will be either the Cheetah or Vegas as I'd prefer to keep things simple and not have to bother with flaps, etc. And, as I said beforehand, I do prefer Tee tail gliders simply on aesthetic grounds.

Thanks again.

Steve.

David, I notice in your review that you sprayed the servo covers to match the trim (I love attention to detailthumbs up), and that you fastened them in place with trim material. I used to use the same method, but I now fix servo covers in place with a few dabs of UHU Por. I have used this method for many years now on various gliders, Funjets (7 to date disgust) and the like, and I've yet to have one depart in flight with the added bonus of them being easy to remove for servicing needs.

A brief update.

I finally opted for the Cheetah over the Vegas and placed my order earlier today. As well as the model I also ordered prop and spinner and a new Spektrum RX.

I have a suitable motor, ESC and servos ready and waiting in my spares box.

Several things influenced the decision, and whilst not the prime factor, a price difference of 70 euros between the two models did form part of the overall equation. And, as I needed to add a new RX into the mix too, The simpler 3 channel operation of the Cheetah permits me to buy and use a Spektrum AR400 as opposed to an AR610.

Also, the Cheetah will just fit in the back of the car fully rigged so less hassle at the field ( I'm becoming really lazy I guess ?). Finally, and I know this is going to sound really strange, and not exactly a reasoned approach to making a decision between two models, but I have this thing about symmetry, and the asymmetry of the wing decoration of the Vegas really does bug me.

When I have returned from seeing my psychiatrist and the model arrives I will report back.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 05/06/2015 19:07:19

Good choice, but there's now't wrong with a bit of OCD.....I think. disgust

My Staufenbiel Cougar really rips about with the motor combo I've put up front, so the Cheetah should be even better! Looking forward to your reports.

BTW, from my experiences with Staufenbiel if you've ordered today you should receive it by Wednesday and postage free of course. They use DPD courier service and they should email, or text you with a one hour delivery slot. thumbs up

Look what arrived this morning.

And, SWMBO was at work so it will secretly join the hangar along with the others and domestic harmony will continue.

cheetah 1 copy.jpg

Only had time for a quick peek at all the bits inside the box and very satisfied with the overall quality.

Build/assembly will commence next Monday and I'll endeavour to post some pics along the way.

Steve.