Plane not heavy enought to take A certicitificate test! Help

Charlie Knill

hello Charlie- from my point of view I would say your choice of model isn't fit for your intention of taking the A test...if it isn't heavy enough it doesn't qualify/as set down in the rules of the test.....buy something that is more suitable..........

ken Anderson...ne...1 club examiners dept.

Advert

Ken, not everyone has a car. I think the situation may well be the requirement for a model that is both light enough not to need a car for transport and is suitable to learn on then pass the A.

Posted by kc on 30/05/2015 09:57:02:

Ken, not everyone has a car. I think the situation may well be the requirement for a model that is both light enough not to need a car for transport and is suitable to learn on then pass the A.

That maybe the case and for a club solo test it would be fine (if very wind affected) but it would not qualify as a model for a the A Test, the criteria is clearly stated "over 1kg" the A Test is a national standard and not subject to local variances

Yes its only 50g under weight, but if you allow local variances where do you stop? 100g, 200g? 500g?

I think common sense plays a large part here. I have yet to see a model actually being weighed with a calibrated set of digital scales prior to a test and I would like to think that if a model was just a few Grammes under weight that the examiner would not be so pedantic as to not allow the candidate to continue. I think I'm correct in saying that the weight limit was introduced to prevent folks from taking their test with a shockie or indoor type model.

Posted by Bill_B on 30/05/2015 10:31:18:

I think common sense plays a large part here. I have yet to see a model actually being weighed with a calibrated set of digital scales prior to a test and I would like to think that if a model was just a few Grammes under weight that the examiner would not be so pedantic as to not allow the candidate to continue. I think I'm correct in saying that the weight limit was introduced to prevent folks from taking their test with a shockie or indoor type model.

Lot of good sense spoken there Billsmiley but I best not agree or i'll be in bother wink

John

Dave, the discussion is not about cheating with the weight but rather about increasing the weight to over 1k by using a slightly larger Lipo and so fully meeting the A test requirements.

Rules are rules and should be complied with.

• 3 months later...

Hi Charlie,

in all the discussion about weight another (very significant) issue seems to have slipped through almost unnoticed! If I understand correctly the Glassair has "flying aids" and while these can be reduced they cannot be completely turned-off - a residual stabilisation stays active. If that is so then you can't use the model in this form for the A-test - even if it is over the minimum weight threshold.

This could be overcome by fitting an alternative Rx which does not have stabilisation features. I could be wrong - I am only going on my understanding of the Glassair and I have never flown one so that's not first hand knowledge. But I think you need to look into this quite urgently I think. TBH its probably more significant than the 50g under weight which is easily fixed.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 31/08/2015 19:40:46:

Hi Charlie,

in all the discussion about weight another (very significant) issue seems to have slipped through almost unnoticed! If I understand correctly the Glassair has "flying aids" and while these can be reduced they cannot be completely turned-off - a residual stabilisation stays active. If that is so then you can't use the model in this form for the A-test - even if it is over the minimum weight threshold.

This could be overcome by fitting an alternative Rx which does not have stabilisation features. I could be wrong - I am only going on my understanding of the Glassair and I have never flown one so that's not first hand knowledge. But I think you need to look into this quite urgently I think. TBH its probably more significant than the 50g under weight which is easily fixed.

BEB

Will look in to this. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 31/08/2015 20:54:33:

Hi Charlie - you might not have seen this document. It is published by the BMFA and is for use by both the examiner and the candidate. It's well worth downloading it, printing it out and then reading it. You will find it very helpful as you train for your A.

Peter

Thanks Peter smiley

Have downloaded as recommended.

What a strange attitude!

The A test is an "achievement" - in order to demonstrate this achievement there must be some limits otherwise it has little value.

In my personal opinion, the weight limit is actually too low - I'm fairly sure that the A certificate was based on a typical 50 - 60 inch span i.c. trainer which has a lot more kinetic energy than a typical marginal 1 kg electric model. These models need far less precise control in order to land on a given area - most can simply dive off extra height without resulting in excessive speed.

However, that's the figure that has been decreed and there is no latitude for exceptions - if the model weighs less than 1 kg it doesn't qualify for the scheme - a simple and easily measured (in the case of dispute or doubt) parameter. Why make a fuss? Charlie appears to have accepted the situation and any examiner knowingly passing someone on a non-qualifying model is devaluing the scheme.

You could argue allsorts of future events that may happen, someone may use his A gained on a little model then go fly a 30cc petrol job at a show/fly in, that he's not safe with, same could happen with someone who passed on a 6lb I.C trainer, There never will be the perfect cover all set of tests. It all rests on us taking our own responsibilitys seriously, you're attitude shown when flying day to day means more to me than 50g (and yes I accept it's the rule). Are we all sure our scales are not 50g out, have they all been sent off and calibrated and all read exactly the same. Concentrate on the safe and in control bit, let the Examiner worry about the 50g bit i'm sure they'll manage to work something out.

John

I think Charlie is one of the newer members of my club and I have a set of digital luggage scales verified by the Essex CC weights and measures Dept! ( you dont need to send off the scales, here in Essex they came round to my house by appointment - good service )

But that's not really the point - it's just important to have a plane that satisfies the BMFA Examiner on the day. Whether the Glasair also has a Rx that has some aids that prevent it being suitable for the A test is the question. Presumably just replacing the Rx with a normal Spektrum Rx would solve the problem.

Posted by kc on 02/09/2015 12:09:54:

I think Charlie is one of the newer members of my club and I have a set of digital luggage scales verified by the Essex CC weights and measures Dept! ( you dont need to send off the scales, here in Essex they came round to my house by appointment - good service )

But that's not really the point - it's just important to have a plane that satisfies the BMFA Examiner on the day. Whether the Glasair also has a Rx that has some aids that prevent it being suitable for the A test is the question. Presumably just replacing the Rx with a normal Spektrum Rx would solve the problem.

What a small world! At some point I will discuss with Pete about disabling of the gyro stabilization on my plane!