Sepp Blatter head of FIFA

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 29/05/2015 21:21:38:

I know football don't float some of your boats, but how is this man still at the head of world football ? Even if you accept he's done no wrong legally, under his leadership it's been one scandal after another. Why UEFA and America don't withdraw from the World Cup is beyond me, force the issue and watch the sponsors reaction. And he just got re elected again today.crook

John

He's probably a really nice blokey sort of billionaire, just like Bernie Ecclestone.

The only way this will get sorted is if the sponsors take action ... all the problems at FIFA are related to money and large amounts being syphoned off by corrupt individuals.

The only way to stop this is to stop the flow of money, i.e. from the sponsors.

I think if just one of the major sponsors was willing to take action the others would follow ... but no one wants to be the first to move.

For my money either McDonalds or Coca-Cola should be the ones to move first, they are consumer products aimed at families who should most be wanting to distance themselves from such a corrupt and deceitful organisation, as FIFA appears to be.

Edited By avtur on 30/05/2015 23:52:08

Posted by john stones 1 on 30/05/2015 08:36:39:

Premiership is throttling the rest of the leagues, wages are obscene and the ticket prices are way out of my reach now so I don't go anymore.

Agreed. That's why I've had a season ticket to my local Southern Premier League side fro the last three seasons. Filled a hole once my lad got too big for youth football, and actually great fun - you can abuse the players and have them abuse you back laugh

Re Blatter, I think its a bit simplistic to suggest, as a couple of comments have, that it's simply a case of a corrupt individual being supported by the most corrupt countries. He's a lot cleverer than that and owes his position to his use of patronage - an awful lot of world football's (genuinely needed) money has gone to places that now, because of that, feel indebted to him

But on the wider picture, it's hard to escape the conclusion that if he wasn't in on the alleged corruption, then his failure to spot or deal with makes him multiply incompetent and unsuited for his role

And what really sticks in the craw is the self importance and aggrandisement of FIFA. FIFA headquarters allegedly have a level of opulence that would make a sheik blush, and the way the executives/delegates seem to enjoy 5+++ star everything as a matter of course is surely at odds with the aims of encouraging the game at grass roots

The whole thing stinks

Posted by Owdlad on 31/05/2015 22:12:06:
What ever happened to the Corinthian spirit in sport.

Owdlad

Sadly, it died in many sports a good long time ago

In my refereeing days, which are best forgotten as (a) they were a good while ago and (b) I wasn't actually very good, one of the leagues I officiated in prided themselves on their "Corinthian values" and made great play of that. I issued more cautions and sendings off in that league than in all the others I participated in put together frown

Perhaps what is the most surprising is not that Joseph has decided to resign, it is where the pressures came from which were the instigator of the resignation.

Here is an organisation that is a company, which is also a charity (apparently), which has share holders.

The shareholders are apparently the various football federations.

It has been pointed out, that many of these shareholders benefit from patronage doled out by FIFA. Perhaps it is unfair to suggest that patronage buys votes. Although I can see that it is foolish to bite the hand that feeds you.

It is interesting that the voting rights are arranged that it can be seen that some have more influence than you might expect based on numbers of members in the various regional federations.

It was suggested, although I did find it hard to believe, that Charities in Switzerland cannot be investigated and prosecuted for corruption by the police.

Joe may have gone, yet, has anything really changed. More importantly will arrangements and personal change to accountable and fair structures and arrangements.

The present systems and structures are reminiscent of England in the middle ages after John 1. Where the King had to consult with the Barons to raise taxes, yet the Barons were dependant on the King to hold their lands and the King also had a big say in the status of whom were the Barons that mattered.

Of course the next and very real issue is that the present voting rights are very susceptible to ensuring control by a few groups, be it, by patronage, self interest be it a small group or individual and a whole host of other scenarios. Yet the voice of the majority involved in football have little or no influence. It appears each of the voting groups have a bias to reduce the influence of the larger football playing groups by those involved in actual playing at all levels, to increase the influence of some groups where football is not such a significant sport by involvement in playing.

It appears that there needs to be a root and branch reform.

Will it happen?

• 4 months later...