Considering a trip to the spark side

Shaunie

Hi Guys,

I've just bought an ASP108 off EBay, when it arrived I found the front housing had been drilled for an ignition pick-up. I intend to put it in my 68" Seagull Edge 540. It currently has an RCV91 in it which is definitely "lacklustre" as the plane weighs 9lb. So my question is this, with the ASP on glow I think it'll go like the proverbial scalded cat, if I go to petrol how badly will the performance be hit? The impression I get is that the loss is less than going from a glow two stroke to a four stroke of the same capacity. Can I expect the performance of, say a 91 two stroke glow? I don't want to go to the effort of doing the job to find its not much better than the RCV.

I have a handy petrol carb from a 25cc strimmer which has the same size Venturi, give or take. I only need to make a boss adaptor and pick up the crankcase pressure. An ignition module is less than 25 quid and a suitable plug about 8 quid from Hobbyking.

It is quite an early ASP as it has a red cylinder head. So I don't know if they've been updated performance wise.

Shaunie.

Advert

I've only got two petrol motors, but I find them less fussy than glow/methanol!

2 stroke petrol motors seem to be roughly equivalent to a similarly sized 4 stroke glow, so I would guess your 108 would give a little more go than the RCV91CD (my own RCV91Cd seems a bit gutless though) but not much more. Maybe comparable to a decent 1.00 sized 4 stroke?

The little 10cc Evolution wouldn't last long on 50:1 Stu! I tried a bung in the vent (with a fluorescent flag on it) just last week and did notice a lot less of a whiff both in the car and in the garage where that one is stored.

Sorry - thread hijack - my DLE instructions state 30:1, do you run any DLE's Stu?

All mine are zenoha and MVVS / Graupner.

As for the oil, everyone has to make their own decisions. I personally have not experienced petrol going 'off' after a month or even a year. There are many oils, inc snake oil and rrsoil. I recon my chain saw and hedge trimmer has a much harder life than any model engine. I switched to the small bottles of stihl oil into 5 litres of super unleaded more than five years ago and have never looked back. There are still glow engines which reccommend the use of castor based oil which I stopped using 25 years ago, also due to the mess it made on both engines and airframes.

I have got my eye on a couple of DLE 20's for a future project and I won't be changing fuel

As I said above, I am a bit suspicious of snake oil 'wonder oil' treatments but one of the LMA guys wrote a piece for the journal in which he suggested that the use of super-unleaded gave a few hundred extra rpms when compared back to back with 'normal' unleaded. He felt that it also gave an improved starting performance.

I care nothing for the few extra RPM but the better starting did seem attractive. As my local garage has a S/U pump I thought that I might as well use it. Whether it does I really couldn't say but all my garden machinery dos seem to start well as do my aero engines, mainly by hand, so for the bit extra it cost, I have stuck with it.