Ripmax Acro.Wot Mk2 XL

Advert

I would have thought 5-10kg would do the job, maybe a bit more on rudder if you are intending to be a hooligan with it. One elevator servo or two? If it's two, you might even get away with using 'standard' servos except that metal gears are generally recommended for petrol motors.

Like Bob says, i'd go for 5-10kg. I'd go for Hitec 645mg on 5 cell on the surfaces. Just out of interest Graham have you built/assembled an aircraft of this size before?

What engine are you going to use?

Cheers

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 07/07/2015 17:44:52

Thanks for your recommendations guys, I was thinking myself 9 Kg/cm for rudder & elevator, 5-6 Kg/cm for each aileron with using 5 cell power.

For your information, like the Wot 4 XL I have, the elevator on the Acro Mk2 XL uses only one servo and one for rudder. I am going to install the OS 33GT petrol in this one. CB,I have built and flown this size before and even had my own aerobatic design published many years ago in one of the magazines, not RCM&E though. named PACER, you can google it I think.

Thanks again Bob & Chris.

Is that the same Pacer as sold by Maher's in ARTF form? I have a Thunderbird from the same stable that, I think, shares the same 84" wing. Mine has a Zeoah 26 for power. I was hoping to take it to the fly-in this week end but, as it hasn't been flown for a year, I wanted a few flights under my belt this week and the weather isn't being kind

I have separate servos for the two elevatore halves and a beefy 1/4 scale servo I'd intended to convert into a sail winch for the rudder. It's getting a bit tatty now and could do with recovering.

I've flown it a lot in the past and it's a very nice aeroplane. I assume the Pacer would be similar.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 07/07/2015 19:58:59

Nice one Graham. I fancy the Acro XL myself and an OS 33. Have you run the engine yet? What are your thoughts on it and the quality of the kit. I'm currently putting the Wotty XL together and overall i'm impressed, although some of the fittings could be better.

Cheers

Hello Graham,

I have just been reading this post and I see you are the designer of the Pacer I thought the name rang a bell.

I am building the Pacer at the moment, I did put a build blog on about this model but I've been having health problems as well as doing alot of renervation work on are house here in France, the model has had to be put to one side. I am starting again on the model after some time, so it's blow the dust off and get cracking again. So far I've joined the wings and glassed them, the tail plan is glassed and now I'm on with the fuselage. As I said in my blog it's a great looking model.

Cheers Alan

Edited By Alan Pennington on 07/07/2015 23:31:42

Edited By Alan Pennington on 07/07/2015 23:33:28

I have just completed the build of the Acrowot XL and have chosen to use Hobbyking sourced Towerpro 996R servos all round. I have used these in quite a few models and have had absolutely no issues with them.

The XL is fitted with a DLE35RA and needs no additional weight to achieve the CofG.

Assembly is straight forward. My only hiccup was with the elevator push rod which can be installed upside down. It then won't line up with the servo arm!! The tank fitting also needed a little thought to stop the tank going too far forward and interfering with the choke butterfly on the rear carburettor of the DLE.

It looks one heck of a model on my driveway and if the weather relents it will be maidened before the week is out.

Today the weather has been superb and the Acrowot XL has had its maiden flight, which was absolutely drama free. This model is a keeper as it flies superbly and has a great deal of presence in the air.

Graham, you will be well pleased with it when you get it assembled.

Hello Colin, thanks for your good news with the Acrowot XL, very encouraging. I was out myself flying yesterday with the Wot 4, was a great day, the last flight was a bit dramatic when one of the main undercarriage wheels dropped off during flight. Pleased to say landed safely in long grass.

Must get on with assembling the Acro, thanks again for your feedback.

Posted by Graham Tungatt on 10/07/2015 10:26:15:

Hello Colin, thanks for your good news with the Acrowot XL, very encouraging. I was out myself flying yesterday with the Wot 4, was a great day, the last flight was a bit dramatic when one of the main undercarriage wheels dropped off during flight. Pleased to say landed safely in long grass.

Must get on with assembling the Acro, thanks again for your feedback.

The wheel or the plane? devil

Posted by Andrew Ray on 13/07/2015 13:40:24:

I have just been assembling my fuel tank and realised that the bung is a black rubber bung just like those supplied for glow fuel, has anyone else noticed this?

A few years ago a couple of club mates had their stock bungs tanks leak badly. I always put a Dubro tank in a plane

• 2 weeks later...

I gave in and bought the XL along with an NGH GF38 four stroke and a matching Just Engines muffler assembly. TowerPoo 996R and HX12K metal gear servos for the control surfaces, 517 on throttle and an A123 receiver pack. The tank came with Viton style black rubber fuel tubes and solder on barbs for the pipes but plain clunks, so I fitted a sintered clunk on the engine feed. If you get the petrol bungs from HK they are also black, others I've seen have been red or brown, so I don't think colour is anything to go by.

With the GF38 up front and the batteries at the rear of the tray it's balancing on the front limit of the recommended range at 4 1/2". Now I just need some decent weather to try it out.

One thing I found was that the wing tube was too tight a fit at one end so I had to ease it by sanding down the outside diameter - anyone else found this? The supplied rudder cable is also heavy duty and a very tight fit through the supplied brass crimps.

Taken all round I think it's a very good value kit for a 2M model, even the fittings can nearly all be used though I did change the clevises for known quality ones. I liked the metal pin hinges supplied, much better than the more usual hairy mylar types. The covering looks the same as that sold by HK, RCLife etc in that it leaves a white adhesive edge when it shrinks back.

One question though - when they go to the trouble to fuel proof the front of the engine bulkhead, why can't they fuel proof the tank bay and any other exposed wood?

The GF38 is mounted on standoffs, it's a perfect fit with the prop driver exactly 175mm from the bulkhead. I'm not using the supplied spinner as I don't have an adaptor to match the engine so the substitute Irvine plastic one probably saves a bit more weight. My batteries are also behind the balance point (not much though) and the ignition unit at the back of the tank which has to help. I'm thinking that elevator servos mounted in the tail wouldn't be a bad idea on this one.

I've got the wotty Xl and I'd give it a 7 out of 10, not too bad really.

I can't understand why on earth the manufacturers choose to use a mixture of imperial and metric fittings...absolutely ridiculous!! UC Bolts and elevator pushrod metric and aileron pushrods were imperial, I don't mind which but to mix them is stupid! The instructions are a little out of date, as they show pre-installed captive nuts for the engine, although mine didn't have any, or holes, or even marks and its no wonder they don't describe the installation of the elevator pushrod.

Is the Acro Wot the same?

I replaced the aileron push rods and the pins in the clevises fell out as soon as I fitted them to the horn, so they went as well.

Cheers

Edited By ChrisB on 27/07/2015 21:35:45

Putting mine together now... Just ordered some more servos - hitec digitals/mg jobbies for the ailerone/rudd and doing away with the one servo they suggested and using a split elevator/servo arrangement. Makes sense, if you lost one servo, then at least the expensive Saito 182ft should be ok. Ask me about losing my Saito 60 ft on a elevator servo or "up" failing on my spacewalker...

dscf9089.jpg