Droning on about Drones

Dean  Hunter

I have received my August copy of RCM&E. Is it just me but drones seem to be taking over the pages? I accept that they are RC models but ..... there must be space in other magazines that cater for horizontally whirling propellers? Please less of them in RCM&E

Advert

Posted by Dean Hunter on 09/07/2015 19:10:48:

I have received my August copy of RCM&E. Is it just me but drones seem to be taking over the pages? I accept that they are RC models but ..... there must be space in other magazines that cater for horizontally whirling propellers? Please less of them in RCM&E

I think it's just you. There's one product review of a "drone" and an article on the Heavy Lift competition in my August issue. That doesn't look much like a take-over to me.

Elsewhere in this forum (and others) clubs are criticised for discouraging youngsters by negative attitudes to "drones", and if you acknowledge that they are RC models, why should they be banished to "other magazines"? (And what other magazines?)

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, when I first started buying RCM&E it had articles on model boats and cars as well as aircraft - so I'm happy for a bit of variety.

Edited By John Privett on 09/07/2015 19:35:23

If it flies and is radio controlled - I'm interested in it!

I don't do gliders - but I'll read about them. I don't do PSS but I'm delighted to see a beautiful model on the cover - the fact that its PSS is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned it still striking, a great model and a brilliant photograph.

The problem is if we start saying "the magazine must only contain what I am primarily interested in and everything else must be banished else where" - then:

1. It's going to be a very thin magazine

2. It probably wouldn't be commercially viable

3. None of us would ever be exposed to something new.

Surely three good reasons to "live and let live" eh? smile Hell, you might even have a go at something you haven't tried before - now there's a rush of blood to the head!

BEB

I first encountered the term drone when I heard of a motor boat called Queen Bee that was a full sized R/C boat used as a target "drone". Then I read of aerial versions. Why is a quad-copter (for want of a better term) called a drone?

MrTin

I'm afraid I am in the no drones camp too! It strikes me more and more with each issue....

I can accept that other readers have more dispersed tastes than I do (I'm into fixed wing only & preferably though not exclusively IC) but the increasing variety of different RC flying platforms and people's varying preferences must make the editorial decisions on content each month very difficult

Don't jump on my back and start to rant but I don't think it's wrong to pose the question as to whether it could be a sustainable business idea to start to segregate magazine content between different magazines with a more specific readership in mind?

If David Ashby picks this thread up perhaps he could comment?

Though I have no intention of owning a drone I find Shahid's 'Heavy Lift' article very interesting and instructive.

His overall approach to design, safety, servicing and practicability could apply equally well to fixed wing machines.

So I'm all for articles like that.

there have been mags over the years for all the sub groups, not "drones" I suspect but everything from f/f to all forms of rc, and most of them have slowly disappeared I suspect through lack of readership, so I cant see how it would be any different now,

cj

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/07/2015 21:58:20:

<SNIP>

3. None of us would ever be exposed to something new.

Surely three good reasons to "live and let live" eh? smile Hell, you might even have a go at something you haven't tried before - now there's a rush of blood to the head!

BEB

Too right It's a big world out there!

There are a few drone specific mags about. Most of the other RC mags I read (heli ones) are also reviewing drones, in the same way rcme is. It could help expose someone who only has or wants a drone to the other aspects of the hobby so it is also good from that angle.

I must state again that I am not ant-drone.....in fact if my club is anything to go by, where we have had a decent number of new members / enquiries from people who have caught the drone bug,,it is clear the drone craze is increasing the ranks of the RC flying fraternity and I'm delighted that this is helping to swell our club's numbers too...but looking at the pics from the Greenacres fly in on the relevant forum posts there does not seem to be a drone in sight. Autogyros yes but no drones that I can see...perhaps there are there but not yet pictured?

If there were no drones at Greenacres why is this?

Is to because drones appeal to those who can fly singly in pretty much any location (not necessarily legally? Is it because there are fewer experienced done pilots compared to fixed wing and therefore attending a fly in could be too uncomfortable? Or......?