Me163 from Cyril Carr!

Phil 9

• 1 month later...
Advert

Is there no one building thereads for the Cyril Carr 163B?

I have been investigating using the plan to build a 163C or a Ju248/Me 263. The wing is the same, the body is longer and smaller dia (as yet not calculated). More importantly they have tricycle undercarriages.

Edited By Erfolg on 17/09/2015 16:29:12

I got really excited when the issue dropped through the door and I saw the Komet in the corner (does not take much!). It is definately on my build list and it would have queue-jumped all others until I saw it was not a 'trad build' - sorry Cyril!

I am not averse to a bit of foam bashing and hot wiring, I am not sure however how many builders have access to a hot wire big enough to cut the wings, and for this reason it may make it a non starter for many as a project. On the plus side it is good to have a decent sized plan of the 163 which looks to have a pretty good scale outline. I still feel a build coming on, but maybe a combination of built up sheeted wings and glassed foam fuselage using the plan as a starting point.

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 18/09/2015 09:36:15

In my opinion there are two principal components.

• The body
  • Wings

In the case of the body, I do believe that the use of blue foam is the most appropriate material. My reasoning is that it produces a very robust body. It is also very light. There are additional advantages in that there is no need to hot wire cut. The material responds extremely well to sawing and sanding to shape.

However the wings as drawn are designed as wire cut items. For those (which includes me) who have no experience and probably no equipment to perform such an operation. This feature is a Mighty obstacle. As I think you allude to Mr Peesh.

I have seen blanks produced in blue foam by a method which achieves the end result but with a lot of work involved, although works better with flat bottomed sections. Templates are made as per hot wired, complete with percentage length marks. A longer than the blank piece of light section straight timber is obtained. Std, hacksaw blades are then attached to the bar with small screws. Cuts are then made from percentage length station to the next. The wooden bar prevents any great depth being achieved. The excess is then cut of using a electric carving knife. Then the process repeated until the templates are reached. Then a long piece of timber of good width has a strip of aluminium (coarse) carbide roll is stuck to the wood. The lathe is then used to carefully sand down to the marks and templates. It really is a lot of work, but does work.

I am thinking that designing a built up structure is possible, if the section is known. The intermediate ribs being produced by Profi, or similar programme.

Probably the best solution would be a set of blanks from MyHobbyStore if they were to become available. Although without demand I guess they will not be interested.

Years ago there was a free plan design ME163 which was all built up, designed for a Cox 049 iirc. That used an all built up wooden construction and made a much more practical build for someone like me as carving blue foam looks to be more a matter of sculpture than construction. Unfortunately at the time it was beyond my flying abilities so it didn't last long.

Now if the fuselage could be supplied as two vac formed or fibreglass mouldings then I'd have a go at this one. I don't mind a bit of carving and sanding, but this is a step too far.

I'm outlaugh

I think some photos of the construction of this model would have helped. The quality of the mag. is second to none, but I've been irritated for some time that the reviews of kits/artfs have only shown the completed model and flying shots. Difficulties in construction mentioned in the text could be usefully illustrated. With a plan feature covering such an "unconventional" method of construction, it's a bit poor not to have photos.

Never mind, about £50 to Hobbyking gets you an unpainted Me163 kit, complete with magnetic drop for take-off dolly for those who want an easy build. Moulding quality is superb, too. Bit smaller than Cyril's though.

I suspect it was in direct response to the HK one that this appeared - complete with the jetpack option. It would have been good to have some build photos too, as there do not seem to be any on 't' web either. If I get around to the build I will post any drawings I come up with on here, just a pylon racer, e-glider and others to get through first...... then there is the 1/4 scale DR1 and the F4U to get onto...... So many planes, so little time!

Cheers, Simon

The 163 was no end of WW2 project, its history, that is inception is prior to WW2, I just see it as a very small cockpit, something akin to a DH Vampire.

A flawed concept in most respects, from unstable fuels, under many conditions. Limited duration. A weapon system that was suitable for a much slower, typical WW2 fighter.

I personally do not see the body as an issue. It is the wings, foam cores could be the answer. Although MHS seem to prefer items where good margins can be built in, rather than standing out ike a soar thumb. My Cloud models 163 kit was less than £50, that is with moulded body, foam veneer wings, laser cut reenforcements and balsa stock items.

• 2 years later...

I know that it is some 2 plus years since this thread was added to, but I have just purchased one of these planes , it was built by a fellow club member who was a profesional model maker all his life, anything from drones for the MOD to air powered V6 engines, his modelling talents are second to none, he has built it as per the plan, all in blue foam, but he has shaped the wing ,not by hot wire cutting but by cutting and sanding, the result is an unbelevable model, covered in brown paper and finished as the example in the Cosford museum, he does not fly, but gets his enjoyment from seeing the models he has built fly. I am wondering if any one has actually built and flown one of these planes, Cyril is a bit vague regarding the motor he used, he gave the spec. of the motor as 28 mm. dia. 2000 - 2500 kv. 2 s , and 6x6 prop. if you have built one of these planes and its got a good performance, could you advise what motor you used, or if anyone has any suggestions as to a suitable inrunner I would appreciate any info. regards Geoff.

• 1 month later...