Space in your car?

Foxfan

Hi all, the Mrs. has just fallen in love with a Peugeot 206CC and we've replaced the Focus with it!

No more collecting greenhouses in component form in this baby!

And probably going to be difficult to transport the Super 60 in it too, even with the roof down. Oh dear!

I'll find a way, but no 1/4 scales for me

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 06/08/2015 11:36:11

Advert

At one point she was after a SMART car! But repair costs and poor reviews put us off that one and, much as I love the SMART Roadster, I couldn't get out of one of them when I was young and fit!

Percy, I had a 1.4 Focus and heaven knows that was slow enough! I can't imagine how slow a 1.0 must be. That's a big car for a 1 Litre to lug around.

The Pug has a full service history to date, which always helps. My old SAAB 9000 had an FSH and was the best car I ever had. Just never went wrong and I bought it with 193.000 miles on the clock, loaded it up and drove it in one hit to Bavaria to start work. Sold it to go and live afloat and it still looked and went like a new car with 246,000 on the clock!

I reckon what'll fit in an MGF will fit in this.

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 06/08/2015 15:54:45

Posted by Foxfan on 06/08/2015 11:35:39:

Hi all, the Mrs. has just fallen in love with a Peugeot 206CC and we've replaced the Focus with it!

A tragedy. Still, at least she will be able to buy you a model or two from the proceeds of her new hairdressing business! wink 2

Only joking - I am just preparing for the inevitable banter that will occur the first time you turn up in it at the club field...

PS - I own a VW Passat estate, a car so bland and teutonically efficient I sometimes lose it in car parks or forget I even own it. You can get a lot of models in though!

Edited By MattyB on 06/08/2015 16:44:56

PS - I own a VW Passat estate, a car so bland and teutonically efficient I sometimes lose it in car parks or forget I even own it. You can get a lot of models in though!

Edited By MattyB on 06/08/2015 16:44:56

Plus one for the Passat Estate. It''s not the volume that is important, it's the usable load area.

A car is a tool not an ornament.

I still have me Vectra Estate. Don't know what to do after this, apart from trying to get a late model Vectra Estate, it's a car I like, nice to drive and roomy.. My current one is 10 years old and getting long in the tooth, but might keep that going until it can't, although had a little problem with a split pipe and leaking injector washer, which was causing turbo no power and starting problems - which another has surfaced, but still runs ok.

If I drove a Passat, Estate or otherwise, I'd be dead from boredom before I even got to the field! The company I contracted to in Germany used to have them as pool cars. I hated them so much I thrashed the nuts of them until my German passengers all started calling me "Hell Driver".

I am determined not take banter at the field from old farts who talk incessantly about their damned pensions.

Me and the Mrs. don't live like other people I think!

And I've done all the fancy sports car thing before I was married. Now we just want something fun and drop-top without it being some overpriced fussy "classic". Done that game too.

Not that I give a toss what anybody thinks, but if they want to talk car turkey they'd better realise that I've had everything from Jaguars to Trident and Piper, including 15 Triumphs, Austin-Healeys,, etc. I would have liked that MX5 though, but it was too low, dammit!

Just checked and actually, I can almost lose the Super 60 in the back of the CC behind the grown-ups' seats.

Phew!

Cheers,

MrTin

Well, my brother used to get his son and their tandem inside a 2CV so where there's a will there's definitely a way

I find all modern cars quite boring. As far as I'm concerned they're a useful domestic appliance more akin to the fridge or cooker than anything to enjoy. I did enjoy the 100,000 miles we did in our 1967 AH Sprite and, of course all the motor cycles I owned, but generally cars are just useful to have around. I quite fancy a van next time.

Geoff

Posted by Foxfan on 06/08/2015 19:31:51:

If I drove a Passat, Estate or otherwise, I'd be dead from boredom before I even got to the field! The company I contracted to in Germany used to have them as pool cars. I hated them so much I thrashed the nuts of them until my German passengers all started calling me "Hell Driver".

Can vou briefly explain what is so exciting about vehicles that are not named Passat?

Edit for spelling mistake.

Edited By Tony K on 06/08/2015 20:14:21

SWMBO had a 206CC a few years back. Awful thing. Roof leaked, weighed a ton so even with a 2L engine it was sluggish. The gearchange was like stirring porridge - there were gears in there, but you never knew which one you were going to get. She traded it for an MGF, which was also pretty poor, but way better than the Pug.

Oh and like you Mr Tin - I've had many many cars, some of them very good, some of them very bad, none of them called Passat. The best were the ones I built myself - two Westfields, a Rickman Jeep and an SrV8 Cobra replica. Got models in all of them.

Compared with my Focus it's not at all sluggish, but that's unimportant round here as long and straight as the roads might be, but you can't do more than 60-65 on them without possibly bouncing into a dyke!

Our roof doesn't leak a drop. It peed down when we got it home and all is dry.

However, the gearbox is crap, you're quite right. But then I come at it from a Ford with the usual silky short movement stick. Odd how the humblest of companies have always made the nicest 'boxes.

I too have built cars, indeed it was my job to build prototypes for the (mainly) Germans. Now all the patternmaking and modelling is done by computers, so I make little ones for a living. I no longer have a garage to build stuff in, but I've built a couple of Burlingtons and fully rebuilt a Piper GTA. However, the back doesn't bend anymore as it should and even my every day car has to be fettled by the son-in-law, which is why I had to sell two projects.  Indeed, my SWMBO said as I sold the Austin 7 Special, "There, dear, now you can do your aeroplanes"<G>  Bless her!

Funny how people share interests in the same fields.

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 06/08/2015 21:22:27