One ninth of a Canberra

Scott Edwards 2

Welcome to my first attempt at a build log.

If you're looking for beautiful model that looks like its been carved by Michelangelo, and painted by Salvador Dali, then take a look at Matt Jones Sea Vixen.

If you want to watch an English Electric Cranberry evolve on the cheap from a pile of old balsa wood and a gallon of PVA, then look 'ere

The subject is a Cranberry B2 built from the most excellent plan from Andy Blackburn. Only doubled in size (obviously) to make it 86 inches span. This will involve quite a bit of jiggling about, and rethinking how to do things along the way.

One more thing - I bought a new house recently and the modelling budget is up there with the Greek deficit. Consequently, this project is Austerity PSS !

On with the first photo .... The classic 'before' shot .....

1.jpg

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 14/08/2015 11:28:05

Advert

Fuselage is conveniently round, which makes knocking out the formers something my mum could do after her evenings sherry ration. Made by laminating two sheets of 1/8 balsa together with their grain at 90 degrees to each other.

I've got a band saw How anyone survives without one is beyond me ! One should be issued to every child on their 5th birthday.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Even though the fuselage is round, its a complex curve on both ends, so the most realistic and cheapest option for this size is planking. Some people hate planking, others love it. I'm somewhere in the middle, but do enjoy seeing beautiful curved shapes emerge from flat balsa.

I'm building the fuselage in two halves split vertically, like a giant easter egg. At this scale there is always a bit of shape variance from the plan. Therefore, I build one half as accurately as I can, and then draw around it to use as a template for the second half. This will hopefully minimise differences when they are mated together.

5.jpg

6.jpg

The colour scheme jury is still out at the mo, possibly light stone, maybe sea grey/dark green camo, maybe silver ... I'm sure it will emerge with time !

Knocked up some tailplane halves. 2.4 mm skin over 3.2 mm ribbing. Nice and light ! My regular slope is Ivinghoe Beacon, the big slopes like the Orme are a very rare treat, so this things gotta be light. I'm aiming for under 12 lbs, so that's an airframe weight of under 10 lbs plus the inevitable lump of 24 carat lead up front.

Tailplane halves have significant dihedral, so have to be built in two halves with an angled ply joiner inserted vertically. I'm trying to make them with elevators that I can cut out, so trailing edge is elevated by half the rib width. Havn't tried that before .....

7.jpg

Andy Blackburn, him who designed this plan, and thoroughly top spiffing chap, has not only redesigned the wings to work better at x2 scale, but also printed me off a set of double sized wing rib patterns ! To ice the cake, he even delivered them personally to me on his new Triumph Bonneville (which I am not jealous of in any way incidentally)

You meet the most fabulous people through this hobby, you really do

The re-designed wing is an Eppler 205 centre section and Clark Y outer panels. This makes the whole wing flat bottomed, which for an intermediate builder like myself is ace.

So, I've spent some quality time with my band saw. Did I say I've got a band saw ? I might have mentioned I have a band saw. I like my band saw. I may have mentioned that.

8.jpg

If its a Cranberry, does that mean it will be ready for Christmas as sauce for the Turkey - it obviously won't be a Turkey, so as I am a complete ignoramus and don't do plane spotting even in Welsh valleys at 3am, can I please have a full size picture of what it will look like?

This sounds very interesting and something I want to see at the Orme in October? But which year?

I said earlier that I didn't mind planking. I wish to withdraw that statement. It's sending me ever so slightly (more) nutty now.

About half way through the right hand fuse half. If anyone tells me I've built two right hand sides haha that's not funny. I know. I've done that before. I've built two right hand wings before too.

9.jpg

Last week end, at Lyrham St Annes, there was a WW2 type event, where to 2 replica Spitfires were displayed, along with a collection of old cars, a Military version of the Hughes 500 and Bell Heuy from the Vietnam conflict.

All very interesting, but not as interesting as a BAE tent, with a collection of boards of the history of Warton, Salmsbury and Preston ex EE factories. BAE are to be commended in that there representives (or at least one) talked me through the early history in aviation. What really was interesting, was how a company that had been essentially a aviation sub contractor managed to break into the Tier 1 business, when the aircraft industry was contracting . There first order being the Canberra, under Petter as Chief Engineer and how the political game was played to achieve this task.

Braddock, i have considered a Martin B57 derivative of the Canberra. My motivation being the bigger wing and bigger wing nacelles. The Bigger wing and nacelles, seem ideal, reducing wing loading, and permitting the possible use of some big DF or easy pusher props, where again the big wing is more favourable to big Lipos.

As for the build, it is really good, and I will continue to follow it with great intrest.

Edited By Erfolg on 18/08/2015 14:03:43