First build guidance

Tim Maton

Hi guys

It might seems like a very Bobby basic question (and it is but I'm just a bit unsure), I'm about to start my first ever build on an rc plane (a Chapter One) using the pre cut wood pack an extras but don't really know what/where to start first?!

Do you generally start with wings first or fuselage? And if I'm just working from a plan (ie no step by step instructions) is there anything I need to particularly look out for/remember to do whilst building?

Thanks again in advance for any tips and advice!

Tim

Advert

hello tim...........,build the fuz first...take your time...check 3 times cut once......you'll make a couple of mistakes -but so what...easy done again...what is the model...may get you some feedback from people who have built it before you....enjoy gluing your fingers together and cutting bits off them...all fun which its supposed to be...fire away with as many q's as you need to.

ken anderson...ne...1..... glue and chopped fingers dept.

If you haven't got your eye in, a fair place to start is the tail surfaces. To watch for is handed items, ie a left and right wing, a left and right fuselage side. But you do, I think need a set of building instructions, even from something vaguely similar, because what you are asking is in what order are aircraft assembled, and that is a set of instructions.

Also remember, a first effort won't look as good as the next one will, but don't be ashamed of that, you have taken the effort to start getting the skills. When you drool over a masters efforts, he started somewhere.

And never be afraid to spend on tools. But before you start, welcome, but you do realise that you are buying into a vale of tears and frustration, with the odd mind blowing high. It is not a hobby for the dilettante, especially the build it yourself route. But at least you can tell St Peter you did something.

The tailplane is probably the easiest component to make, its smallish and usually of a pretty simple construction method - and thats a good thing, it will give you motivation to carry on when the "mid build blues" set in and you wonder if this thing will ever be finished.....

But there is no set way to do it, whatever suits you best....

Hi Tim, I assume that you have no knowledge of plans/drawings,so the first thing is to read all notes on the drawings and try to learn the terminology and protocols.bold continueous lines usually mean it is an outline of a part or assembly,A dotted line indicates an underlying/ unseen/ hidden detail.on our model drawings the parts could well be numbered e.g W1 indicates wing rib no.1 F 1 indicates fuselage/body part,T 1 indicates tail part. Make sure that if there are 2 components which are left and right handed in orientation you make one of each. always double check to make sure you dont glue something that later you find is wrong hand, upside down or back to front. At least you have a good start by getting a wood pack as all the bits are cut for you.If you are in a club enlist the aid of an experienced model builder,they are normally happy to guide you in the right direction.What area do you live in Tim, sometimes it,s far easier to show you how, than to tell you how. Dont hesitate to post any queries on this forum, tons of experience

dave

The Building Instructions were in a series of articles in RCME called 'Build a Plane Workshop' starting June 2014 and continuing on to November 2014.   Back issues are still available here

You could also find most of the info you need ( although not the latest electric power stuff ) in one of the books by David Boddington  like the one here available secondhand for 1 penny plus 2.80 postage.  a real bargain at that price. 

Edited By kc on 18/08/2015 16:06:58

And keep plasters in the work area, reduces the bloodstains on the airframe. And when you cut yourself, make a decision, carry on or sort the cut out. If the former, toilet paper acts as a temporary blood barrier between you and airframe. You have been warned, giving up smoking is easier.

No fast and hard rules regards the order of battle. Sometimes I do the hardest part first... or maybe last.. or next time I may do it in reverse order!

I suppose if I had to advise a beginner, go for the tail surfaces first, for a quick win. Should any major mistakes happen, it's easy to cut some scrap balsa (you do have some, don't you?) and re-make it.

Loads of advice on here so ask away. Also whereabouts are you? - I'm sure there's a mentor waiting in the wings

Posted by Donald Fry on 18/08/2015 16:51:20:

And keep plasters in the work area, reduces the bloodstains on the airframe. And when you cut yourself, make a decision, carry on or sort the cut out. If the former, toilet paper acts as a temporary blood barrier between you and airframe. You have been warned, giving up smoking is easier.

I wonder if there actually IS a self built model that doesnt have a blood stain somewhere in its bowels - I know ALL mine have........

Interesting take.

I guess I'm used to it? Building direct on the plan until something doesn't fit, then fettling away or redesigning something until it does... I think I now accept that practice without thinking. Don't go for redesigning or adding that scale detail just yet Tim.

Or maybe you want to? That's the beauty of plan building;you make it your own (but not necassarily on your own!)

Posted by Tim Maton on 18/08/2015 12:44:28:

Do you generally start with wings first or fuselage? And if I'm just working from a plan (ie no step by step instructions) is there anything I need to particularly look out for/remember to do whilst building?

Thanks again in advance for any tips and advice!

Tim

One of the greatest joys of aero modelling - one I fear is unknown to the artf generation - is the leisurely perusal of plans before a build

Spread it out, make a coffee, take your time, look at it and think things through. You'll come across many questions, quite a few of which you will answer yourself with a little further thought. Some of those questions will lead to others, and you'll think of solutions for those too.That's all part of the process, and the enjoyment

There is no "right or wrong" order to any build.

First thing to do is to cover the plan with some plastic film so that you don't glue the parts to it!! After that build it in any order you fancy, although of course the build order might be guided by what is drawn on each side of the plan to save keep turning it over.

For me it would be wings, tail then fuselage - or tail, wings then fuselage. I like having the flying surfaces to hand when seating the tailplane and fin.

The main thing is to enjoy the build and not fret about the myriad little things that don't quite work as expected, you will find work-arounds or ask here and someone will jump in with advice.

I refer you back to Cymaz' response above, with the additional clause: Enjoy the experience and the pride you get from converting a tree into a flying machine.

Start on the tailplane then the fuselage and get some experience working with balsa and glues etc before making the wing which is a bit more critical.

In addition to the Boddington book which is still offered for 1 penny plus 2.80 post I notice that a reprint of Boddingtons article on a rather similar trainer is available from MyHobbyStores for a couple of pounds here It's the article which I read when I started 31 years ago! But little has changed in balsa model construction so it's still relevant. Only electric flight has changed and laser cutting has made things easier.

Agree with the comment from IanN, I sit looking at a plan for hours, sometimes over a couple of days, building it in my head, it is very relaxing and really helps once you start butchering the balsa. Then again I was an Engineer and loved pouring over blueprints. It's by far the best way to find the little awkward bit before it suddenly bites you!

Hi guys,

So, 1st of all thanks for everyone's advice and tips, I'm overwhelmed at the response! Sorry for the delay I posting back here, I've been away on business and only just got some time to make a start.

I've started with the tail section and stuck the first parts of my Chapter One together, so onwards and upwards (with plasters!), I'll move onto the wings next but have to get a few more bits and pieces, like spare balsa and ply as the pack I got seems to be missing a few key bits.

I've got the RCM&E articles on building the plane, so thanks for the those of you that suggested that.

Stevo - I'm in Four Marks in Hampshire, I've done a bit of googling and I think there are few club locally but I don't really have the spare time to go and indulge at the moment as I have a young family! Will hopefully get to soon though.

Thanks again everyone and I'll be back soon!

Cheers

Tim

I built a Chapter One with my 8 YO son George....it's a great flyer & very easy to fly too....George managed a take off after 2 flights (whisper it but it just about takes off on it's own....shhh don't tell George....wink 2)

Here he(it) is after the first flight....

1506270014.jpg

As the other have said, take your time, try & keep everything straight & true, ask lots of questions & above all enjoy it...it's a hobby...thumbs up