Multi bolt prop what do you do?

Rich too

My next project will have a DLE 30 and this will be the first engine I have bought which has the multi bolt hub. I don't really fancy drilling the props for it, and I know there are options of a single bolt adapter - which involves modifying a new engine, or buying pre-drilled props.

I am tempted by pre-drilled props, are there any UK suppliers though?

What do you guys do?

Edited By Rich2 on 05/10/2015 11:15:31

Advert

I have a Mackay 30cc petrol engine which has multibolt prop fixing. I drill the props and attach them with HT cap head bolts which seems to be the proper thing to do. I do find it a bit of a bind and much less convenient than the single bolt fixing that my Zenoah 26 uses. Neither has ever come off.

Until that recent report in the BMFA mag, I assumed the multi-bolt method was more rather than less secure. Perhaps it is. I've had glow engine props come off on 4 strokes when they kick back though not at high speed, fortunately and usually when starting. Have there been occasions when singe bolt mounted props have caused serious injuries as aseems to have happened in the reported incident?

Geoff

PS I also use the prop washer as a guide and use my pillar drill.

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 05/10/2015 11:25:19

Not had one of either sort come loose myself, I borrow a jig off one of lads for multi bolt types, then ask him to drill it for me on a pillar drill wink it's easy to get it slightly wrong on each hole when doing with a hand held drill, then you might bend the bolts when tightening up, I use biggest washer I can on the bolts so it doesn't crush the prop, and I thread lock them as well.

John

I am fortunate to be able to make my own jigs for such things, and I would indeed recommend using a jig, as has been said just using the prop washer could lead to out of alignment as you go through due to the drill wandering off line if its not supported square, a 5mm thick prop washer could allow it to wander as the holes on washer will be a clearance on the drill of a few tenths of a mm and even a small amount out on all 4 or indeed 6 holes will cause all sorts of problems, if you cant screw the bolts in through the washer/prop and into the driver with minimal effort with fingers then its out of alignment somewhere, always use a pillar/bench drill or attachment to your trusty b and d again to keep it all nice and square, also I don't understand the need for large washers under your bolts john as surely there is already a prop washer twixt bolt and prop to give even pressure across the prop boss,

one of these might be a good investment if your really keen on keeping it all nice and even,

**LINK**

cj

I've never used a multi-bolt fixing but I do recall reading some advice somewhere about the orientation of the holes - i.e.

.                        o              o                                                             o

.                                                                                          o                        o

. ==      o                 +                  o       ==     OR      ==                   +                  ==

.                                                                                          o                        o

.                        o             o                                                              o

...which I assume is to do with grain orientation / strength...anyone know which is correct?

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/10/2015 19:25:00

I use multi bolt props for my DLE55RA.

I use a drill jig and pillar drill and have never had a problem.

Positioning of the holes is important if you plan on hand starting, to make sure the prop is at quarter past nine position (or ten past eight position if you prefer) when turned up to the compression position. Just needs a bit of forward planning of the hole positions before you drill. Not sure whether pre-drilled props will take this into account.

The prop washer that goes on after the prop has 4 bolt holes plus the centre hole, so the bolt washers aren't pushing directly against the prop.

Posted by Martin Harris on 05/10/2015 19:09:13:

I've never used a multi-bolt fixing but I do recall reading some advice somewhere about the orientation of the holes - i.e.

. o o o

. o o

. == o + o == OR == + ==

. o o

. o o o

...which I assume is to do with grain orientation / strength...anyone know which is correct?

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/10/2015 19:25:00

I can see what your ascii art is now that you've finished it.

Hole orientation is just for the prop position for hand starting.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 05/10/2015 19:46:26:

I can see what your ascii art is now that you've finished it.

Hole orientation is just for the prop position for hand starting.

I'm only going by memory from something I read years ago in passing but it seemed to suggest it was for strength reasons. Looking at pictures of full sized props, they al seem to be oriented as per the first example - perhaps it reduces the chances of cracking across the grain with the longer lateral distance (I assume the grains of the planks are oriented generally parallel unless they make full sized props out of very fat trees!)...

I hope we find out the cause of the reported incident without delay - I do a lot of noise tests at our club!

• 11 months later...

Flying my Seagull Edge on a RCG 30 it suddenly stopped moving forwards very much and would not respond to throttle, also a large object was seen to fall off. On landing the prop. and spinner were missing. All four M4 bolts had sheared. When the remains had been dug out of the prop. driver the bolts were replaced with proper high tensile ones. Something to think about if you have Chinese bolts.

I've finally done it. Not without a bit of messing about, and I would not attempt it without a pillar drill. I had a problem in that when I used the ream to drill the centre hole out to 10mm, the prop still would not fit on the crank. Obviously some definitions of 10mm differ to others! So I had to use a 10mm drill to finish the job off.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg