Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan

Richard Harris

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum thumbs up,

Sorry for any confusion on the blade dimensions, I have had a number of PM's and phone calls regarding this from builders.

To clarify, the 44mm x 450mm blades are that of the AJ blades if builders are put off by the thought of making their own. The wider 60mm blades will give the Cruiser a touch more lift and were added to the plan at short notice by myself for builders who want to make their own.

Both blade configurations have been fully tested and work well, though the wider blade does spin up quicker. That said, the choice is of course up to the individual which route they take smile

Nice to here you have made a start on your Cruiser, any questions just fire away.

On another note, as I have a canopy plug sat on my work bench I was thinking of shrinking a couple of bottles to those who may be interested? (I can also add them on Ebay). Obviously they will be free of charge though I would like postage costs covered, but please bare in mind they are bottle shrunk canopies!

If you are interested please shout out and I will get postage costs.

Rich

Brian,

As I was lucky enough to have a set of 450 mm x 60 mm given me by an old friend they looked to me like AJ Blades, sure enough in checking their site, they do that very size as replacements for the 'Humpback & Scout. cost £20., So if you do not feel like making a set AJ is the answer

Bert,

This is the section, Do not round the LE

000_0147.jpg

'

Well Rich, after the success of molding the canopy - my first attempt at molding anything. I thought it was easy and I could mold everything. So I built a plug for the spats and spent a day experimenting with various plastic bottles, meat trays etc, Because of the deep draw of the spats I couldn't get anything to work as the plastic split or burnt through. I needed something thicker and delving in the garage found some 3mm plexi-glass (from B&Q many years ago) which had a wider window of flexibility when heated.

I heated the plastic until it started to haze (I was painting them anyway so they didn't need to be clear). I still had the difficulty of forming without creases or folds so I made the former to guide the plug through the material. The former hole is 3mm bigger than the plug with a beveled edge to make it easier to feed the material in & move through. I did need to make a few adjustments to the shape of the plug and finally had a 50% success rate!

I ended up with a bin full of rejects and 2 good spats, and a satisfying day. Hope this enlightens you.

Yes but I will wait until after the new year before getting down to the job in earnest .

When building the Atom I sent Rich a drawing of slightly different shaped flex plate which Rich put on that build blog as a PDF.

My reasoning for the reshape was because the required shim had only a minute area in contact with the flex plate

I contact Malcolm of "Coolwind Models" and over a cup of tea he kindly obliged to cut my reshaped Cruiser plate In receiving my plates I made contact with Rich to see if would mind me adding. the picture to this blog. I got the thumbs up. I thought my design is not a MUST but a second option

The new shaped plate will be available from  Malcolm of  Coolwind Models.

Terry

.000_0295.jpg

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 22/11/2015 07:33:03

Posted by Steve Jones 2 on 21/11/2015 16:33:26:

So who else is building a cruiser Autogyro ??smiley

Steve

It;s that time of year Steve, when we get dragged from shop to shop and have all the build in us drained out, lost souls around shopping centres! But there are a few builds going on as I am making up canopies today for a few folk. That said, it would be good to see a build log going on as I haven't yet seen one, that always seems to get folk motivated.

I will be interested to see how Terry's head plate flies, may just order a couple.

Rich