Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan

Richard Harris

RCM&E November 2015 free plan will be my Cruiser autogyro design which is a development of the original built a few years back. A light weight, traditionally built up sports model that has been re sized to use all of the Atoms electric set up etc.

Slightly bigger than the Atom the Cruiser has turned out to be a little cracker being lighter loaded with a little more vertical area. Testing has gone well and it has been flown most of the summer, so much so it spurred me on to get on with my bigger version which flies just as well.

I have been asked to make a materials list in readiness for those wanting to build this model so they can go shopping at a  certain model event next weekend. This I will do in the next few days, added are a few photos and video taken this summer.

As with the Atom just ask away any questions, I am also happy to have anyone over to my clubs field to help trim any Cruiser's.

I do hope you enjoy the build and flying as much as I have. List to follow.

img_5755.jpg

img_5757.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 12/10/2015 19:48:48

Cheers Steve, it is quite something watching others enjoy flying your model.smiley

OK, a bit of a shopping list for those who intend to give this one a go:

Motor: EMAX GT 2215/12 (mine pulls 150 watts at full power off a freshly charged battery)

ESC: 30 amp (mine pulls 15 amps off a fully charged Lipo )

Prop: 10 x 7 APC

Head servos (2 off): Corona CS-929 MG's (or equivalent size/torque)

Rudder servo: 9 gram standard type

Battery: 3 cell 1300 - 1550mah Lipo (bigger may fit it, I just haven't tried)

Airframe Material List

Note: All balsa sheet sizes 100mm x 915mm

1 off 1.5mm thick hard balsa sheet (this is important!)

1 off 1.5mm thick medium balsa sheet

2 off 3mm thick medium balsa sheet

1 off 6mm thick soft balsa sheet

10 off 3mm square medium balsa strips

1 off 6x13mm spruce strip

1 off 3mm lite ply sheet (300mm x 600mm)

1 off 3mm diameter piano wire (1/8" or 10g)

1 off 0.8mm thick Fibre Glass sheet (100mm x 300mm)

Hobbyking C30 rotor head assembly

2 off lite foam wheels ( 40mm diameter and thin if going with the spats)

1 off 2 litre pop bottle (preferably ale or cider wink 2)

Balsa blocking (to make canopy mould)

Covering, wheel collets etc

Blades are available via AJ blades ( 44mm x 450mm) but if making your own you will need:

2 off 6mm thick medium balsa sheet (check that it is free from warps with a nice straight grain if possible)

3 off 6mm x 10mm spruce strips

I will pass on my drawings to Malcolm at Coolwind who will make up some cnc cut parts of the fibre glass parts to make life easier to those who don't fancy tackling these.

I think that's it, if I remember anything else I will post.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richard

your auto gyro designs are really tempting and i always fancied to build and own one, they seem so fun to fly.

i saw your video of the cruiser and i really liked it, stupid question tough. is it normal that it flies on a nose up attitude all the time? do you hold the elevator stick all the time? i might seeing wrong, maybe its the camera, but for me it looked that way. anyway thank you for your auto gyro designs and bring us so many options to choose from.

kind regards

Daniel

Daniel,

Thank you for your kind comments embarrassed, they are fun to fly and do make a change from the norm. Luckily we now have a great wealth of knowledge on these flying machines and any questions are sure to be answered on this forum. I say have a go wink 2

As for your question regarding the nose high attitude, it's just the way I am flying the model I think.

Rich

Daniel,

I have tried most types of covering which work fine, of late I tend to use self adhesive vinyl. It's each to their own really, but the most important thing with any covering is to make sure your finished over lap faces towards the TE. If its facing towards the LE then there is always the chance of it lifting (don't ask me how I know this!embarrassed)

MP,

Yes, most flying fields tend to have a customary 'aircraft magnet' situated somewhere along the flight line. That said the oak tree in question is a considerable distance away.

Rich

Simon,

The head is home made from bits of aluminium with a gearbox mounted on top for the rotor spindle, very simple.

img_4870.jpg

I did alter the wood thickness's to suit and it also has a built up lifting tail but it is pretty much 1.5 times everything.

A photo next to the Panther to give you a better idea of its size. The hardest part to make was the canopy, 3 litre cider bottle shrunk over a wooden plug. Because of its size I had to add a wire frame inside so as to keep its shape.

img_2940.jpg

Rich

That`s good to hear i have only given the mag a quick glance through so far ,

But this one looks more substantial , and with the larger body should be easier to see .

My broken atom has been awaiting repair for some time now so i think i will just salvage the bits out of it and build this one ,

Probably best to start a fresh anyway.

Cheers Steve

Stephen,

Yes, it is easier to see.

Managed to slip out away from the endless decorating Saturday and pick up my copy from Smiths.

I notice that it it mentions left thrust is needed on the motor, this is wrong, it needs right thrust as per the plan. It must have slipped through the editing net some how.

I always like to see the 3D cut away drawing of all models published, it is unique. But, can anyone spot the un obvious mistake of the Cruiser cut away?

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Malcolm - coolwind.co.uk on 02/11/2015 17:06:38:

This of course now means Rich is going to have to also work in mirror image and start using Throttle on the left!!!laugh

Malcolm

I will be doing no such thing Malcolm, I'm not  caggie handed! wink 2

Mike,

1mm or 2mm doesn't make any difference to the way the blades perform, what you do need to steer clear of though is having the CG behind the mounting bolt centre.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 11/11/2015 22:54:12

Edited By Richard Harris on 11/11/2015 22:54:27