solafilm painting test.

mightypeesh

Hi folks. Just a quick one here. I am just planning a WW1 build and for the first time I am going to want to paint solarfilm as I usually fully sheet and glass my wings. I thought I would see what a difference wiping the film with Prymol makes to adhesion of the primer as it is what is always recomended, and I do not believe anything that I have not tried myself!

_mg_0609.jpg

Made up a scrap test bed

_mg_0619.jpg

aswell as a test strip as a control. Very technical - Prymol at the bottom nothing at the top.

_mg_0617.jpg

It stinks to high heaven so use in well vented area and use gloves. I just wiped it over the surfaces with a bit of kitchen roll and let it dry - takes minutes!

_mg_0630.jpg

I sprayed it with bog standard Halfords black primer and left it over night. I first put cheapy masking tape on it. As expected the untreated film paint came straight off. the Prymol side faired a lot better although you can see it has pulled speckles of paint off of the 'wing test'. The more expensive low tack Frog tape faired a lot better and left pretty much all of the paint behind on the Prymol treated bits.

So in conclusion with this quick test - the Prymol pretty much does what it is meant to - I will try giving it a couple of wipes when I use it properly though - and quality masking tape is also the order of the day. I think by the time it is primed, painted, distressed and fuel proofed it will be fine.

Cheers, Simon

Advert

OK .... I will add a wet and dry rub to the test. Tony does tend to fully sheet without the ribs sticking through though!

My thinking is that any abrasive over a thin bit of plastic shrunk up to a rib is asking for trouble - its how I cut off overhangs of cloth when i clean up a glassed wing - and seeing how the covering adds to its strength......

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 16/10/2015 20:00:50

Edited By mightypeesh on 16/10/2015 20:01:26

Thanks for all the input chaps. It is all a bit 'horses for courses' the method you like to use - as I have not used any yet on a live model I thought it would be an interesting little test to do. I dont suppose I will find much difference between a manually keyed surface ie. scotch pad, and a chemically etched surface - the Prymol. The main differencewould I think be the ammount of input and time taken to prepare the surface - me being lazy a quick wipe with a bit of soaked tissue would be my chosen method...... if it is any good that is! Also I could get into the little nooks and crannies eisier with the Prymol.

Ok results time for Hobby King Film - at just under 7 quid for a five meter roll.....

_mg_0631.jpg

Bit of orange this time. Same set up as Solafilm but with an added test of some plastic primer I have had laying around for ages.

_mg_0636.jpg

_mg_0634.jpg

Hard to see but the Prymol is on the right giving it a slight rainbow haze look

_mg_0639.jpg

Looks like Prymol and the plastic primer have had a major falling out! It would only add weight anyway!

_mg_0642.jpg

Also added on the 'sanded' section. I used 1200grit wet and dry.

_mg_0643.jpg

Ok drum roll........

_mg_0644.jpg

Eeeerm. Now that suprised me! The only sections that I can get the paint to come of from are the ones with the rubbish primer on! The other sections with prymol, sanding or no treatment at all are stuck fast!! I thought at first that I had not stuck it down properly so rubbed it down again and again and still cannot get it to lift.

I used the same paint and preparation- the only difference is the HK film as opposed to the 'real' stuff.

I am guessing that the HK film is not so chemically resistant - maybe not as fuel proof as solarfilm - so the primer is etching itself and bonding to the surface better. The fuel proofing is not relevant to me because the whole point is that I am going to paint and fuel proof on top.

I might give the solarfilm another go later just to check the results and to do a sanded vs etched test, but my results here have sold me on HK stuff!

Cheers chaps, Simon

• 5 months later...

Thanks so much for this test and info. Simon, very helpful indeed.

I've just bought some Silver covering film from HK to use as a metal looking skin which I can distress the paint back to. Hopefully my project will look great with this HK stuff, and at £11 for 5 meters delivered you can really go wrong!

Cheers

Ben