Saito 180 prop help

Mr.B.

I'm building the Flair 1/4 scale Tiger moth and have a 180 Saito to go at the front. What prop should I start with? The manual states this engine will pull a 18x6 in a scale application. This has the advantage of being pretty much scale size. Any experiance with this engine or thoughts on brand of prop?

Thanks

Advert

I have a 1/4 scale Pup, with a Saito 180. I run a 20*6 prop on 5% ProSynth.

The Saito is a bit of a beast, but I have found that converting it to spark (Note: Spark ignition but still on glow fuel) has tamed it for starting, but I'm guessing with a fixed timing position has improved fuel economy too.

Andy

A very neat installation Andy. So far I have never got the MIG welder out for a model build! The 180 is a beast you say. What should I expect? While a wooden prop would look spiffing my chosen prototype has a grey painted prop. Also I think it would benefit from a bit of fly wheel effect. It will be a while yet before the Tiger takes to the air.

Hi Andy . Nice installation , very neat. I would like to point out one thing I have gleaned from experience. Your pup has a large open radial cowling but very little air will flow over the cylinder with that set up and your engine will cook. You will find that the air will take the easy route out and go straight out of the bottom of the cowling leaving the top ,where all the heat is being generated in stagnant or very little air flow. Fit a dummy engine in front of your Saito and leave a slot/opening in front of the your real cylinder preferably with some ducting to guide cool air over the cylinder and through the fins . The air flow through the slot in the cowling will be increased due to the partial vacuum formed by the large exit at the bottom of the cowling .

Regards

E.D.

Hi Mr B if you are going to stay glow ignition you have made the right choice to stay with a heavy prop, as Andy says the 180 is a bit of a beast and can "bite" when starting it if you are not careful also stay with the 18/6 it is perfect for this motor on glow, if you decide to go spark with glow fuel you will find it an entirely different creature a 20/6 wood prop is fine and hand starting becomes pleasant. I ran my 180 ( before spark conversion ) on Saito/Ys 20/20 fuel ran very well, after converting yo spark fuel was mixed to around 5% nitro 9-10% oil and it ran just fine with no problems also it was far more economical I suspect because there was more actual fuel and less lube and nitro overheating was never a problem even in a fairly tight fitting cowl of the Curtis P6E it was in. you will enjoy this engine once you become accustomed to it.

Hi Andy glad to see you changed your 180 to spark very nice install I might add, I eventually swapped mine out for a 4 stroke petrol with a Walbro pumper carb as syphoning was a problem with the Curtis tank position, it was way to high and could not be altered, no issues with the Saito, I am sure I will find something to fit it in

Just re read ED's post regarding the overheating issue, my engine was mounted inverted with the head slightly exposed and a small opening in the front of the cowl and a huge opening in the lower rear of the cowl ( purely the design of the model no expertise on my behalf ) so this may be some thing for you to consider during your build.

Good luck and enjoy..

Edited By Tony Richardson on 04/11/2015 17:51:44

• 5 months later...

Well the 180 powered tiggy is finished and flown. I went with the 18x6 as per the engine manual. I feel the engine could swing a bigger prop so may experiment. The 180 is real sweety. It starts and idles well.

Who knows where I can get a new single sub C cell for the on board glow?

dsc_9035.jpg