Peter Miller Retrospective - Build-off Challenge 2016

Tim C

Peter Miller Retrospective – Build-Off Challenge 2016

Well, interest in the MASS build 2016 is muted to say the least, I am proposing another alternative build contest with a slightly different set of objectives and rules which may have some appeal. (given feedback and comments posted already) , this can run separately from the traditional MASS build. I have borrowed some ideas from similar successful contests run on RCGroups.

I suggest a start date say 1 Dec 2015, and close date for entries of 1st April 2016, Close date for judging TBC, but before Greenacres (say beginning of June 2016). There will be two winners, the overall Forumites' Choice winner and Novice Class winner.

Clearly if any contestants will be at Greenacres 2016 , there will be the opportunity to network, compare notes and fly the models and the obligatory Group Photo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

Participants will build a powered Peter Miller design radio-controlled airplane model and demonstrate that it is capable of controlled flight. At the end of the contest, modelflying.co.uk members will be invited to select “Forumites’ Choice” winners from completed and flight-proven models.

Build-Off objectives are to:

Foster interest in building Radio Controlled models.

Promote the modelflying.co.uk forum as one of ongoing interest to builders and flyers.Practise our craft,

learn from others and do the best we can.

Have some fun.

Build-Off Rules:

Models entered (“entries  must be a Peter Miller design ( a list can be found in this thread http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=95387  and past Build Blogs in this Thread http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/threads.asp?t=109.

Models can be freely modified from the original plan, IC power systems can be changed to Electric, plans can be enlarged/shrunk etc.

In keeping with the nature of the Build-Off, plan outlines may be changed within reason to improve flight characteristics or for ease of construction.

Building and covering materials may be of any type the participant chooses. (e.g. Balsa/Ply substitution, use of foam/depron etc. are all permissible)

To be eligible for consideration as a “Forumites’ Choice” winner, entries must demonstrate that they are capable of controlled flight before the Build-Off closing date. Photos or videos of the entry in flight will be considered proof of flight worthiness.

Already started builds may be entered providing they have not been covered or painted by the start of the Build-Off.

Entrants may ask the moderator to be considered part of a special “Novice Class” intended for builders who are building their first or second model.

Participants may submit more than one entry.

Any disputes will be brought to the attention of the moderator by private message, who will resolve the dispute at his sole discretion.

Coordinating Instructions:

Registration for the Build-Off will be by posting participant members’ modelflying.co.uk user name, any requests to be considered for the Novice Class, the model to be entered, and a link to a build thread on the modelflying.co.uk forum.

Build threads will be entitled using the following format e.g. "Peter Miller Retrospective 2016 – Name of plane" e.g. "Peter Miller Retrospective 2016 – Midget Mustang"

Registration for entries will open and the Build-Off will start on 1st December 2015.
Registration will close on April 1st, 2015.
Build-Off will close on July 15th, 2015.

Prizes:

If we smile sweetly at Beth at RCME she may be able to come up with some suitable RCME goodies as prizes

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/10/2015 12:25:21

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/10/2015 12:28:30

Posted by Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/10/2015 12:24:25:

Any disputes will be brought to the attention of the moderator by private message, who will resolve the dispute at his sole discretion.

Will this just dilute the mass build, or encourage extra participation? No idea .....

Seems a bit "rule heavy". And dispute proceedures ....... ? I thought we did this for fun surprise

Hi Flyer,

Err no, the idea is that late entries can be added after the registration date of 1 Dec, 1st April is a notional cut-off for entries, build can start any time, in fact can be under way already, 1st Dec just a notional finger in the air date to allow for discussion, clarification of the proposed rules before freezing the contest rules

OK with me. I can't see the difference between this and the normal MB except for the mandatory completion date. Models need to have been maidened before GA (self declaration), but I will take part in this as MB alternative - or will take part in both if I can use the same model.

Always like the idea of a competition as well

Martyn

I like the idea Tim but I would suggest the No 1 objective is to provide a tribute to Peter Miller and his fantastic contribution to aero modelling however you measure it. I agree with Martyn that there is no real difference between this and the traditional mass build except the finish date (although GA has been the main target) and the competition element. The competition element may be exactly what is needed to break the muted response for the traditional MB. My vote would go to making this the 2016 Mass Build format.

All it would need is a statement from RCME that this is the way it goes this year. There will always be personal reasons for not wanting to join in and as far as I can see this has boiled down to choice of a particular model. Although I believe Peter has some way to go before he tops Boddo's tally there would be an enormous choice of models and variations that could apply.

So Peter if you please, hurry up and design some rockets, paper darts, drones and hot air balloons, whatever to get all bases covered.

My biggest problem - How long does the model have to be in controlled flight?

Well done Tim

I have just checked out the other related posts and Tim's idea looks like having jumped the "yes" block from 18 to a potential, and impressive 24 overnight. Once a decision is made I am sure a number of "maybe"s will commit as clearly there are a lot of PM fans out there will be more as a result of this competition.

As there seems to be no other contenders other than the PSSA alternative maybe it is time for Beth to switch the vote to see how many will directly support Tim's idea or simply make the choice and start the thread on who will build what aircraft and crucially where. For those of overseas and perhaps unable to get to GA (me for instance) perhaps we can arrange mini GA lookalikes to make it truly international.

May still need a vote though on accepting entries from Oz!!! wink 2

Posted by Jim Carss on 30/10/2015 10:34:09:

Bob

better keep your cheque book handy,I asked them to quote for a rib set for Peter's Tigercub,I'll leave it there, cut them myself.

Don't scare me Jimsurprise - my (virtual) cheque-book has a delicate constitution!

I've also PM'd Dylan about the possibility of cutting a kit but I'm not sure if he's been on the site lately. As you say - worst case I fire up the copier and get the knife out.