cordless drill

Phil 9

Advert

I bought a Bosch one a few years back and I made sure it took the same batteries as my Bosch hedgtrimmer. So I have extra batteries for each and they are all in use all the year round ( otherwise hedgetrimmer etc go dud in the non gardening season) Chargers are also compatible so 2 available and also there if one fails ( chargers are often a weak point with any equipment) Latest Lithium cells may not suffer like that but NiCad certainly do.

Ryobi sell drills etc with matching batteries for many other tools in their range - you buy just what you need.

What work do you mostly need it for Phil?

I have a Bosch too, it was a two drill set with a smaller drill for mostly lightweight work around the place, including modelling the other drill is more robust/heavy and has a hammer drill function for going through brick work if needed..

Cant complain about them for DIY use, not a used every day... Big selection so I guess its down to primary uses..

The question that you ask Phil, is the same that I have asked in the past from trades people.

The answers were nearly always much the same. That for a reasonable days work, they needed a minimum of two battery packs. There was also an underlying theme, that if the battery packs are no longer available at reasonable cost, that after about 2 years of trade use, it was often cheaper to buy the latest model, as the screwdriver/drill would often be on its last legs any way.

In short, they found all the brands to be OK, dependant on purchase price.

Which? give Best Buy status to Bosch PSB Li 2 at 90 pounds. All the other Best Buys are over 150 pounds! Seems a lot of money even at 90 pounds for just occasional use. For light use a cheaper drill might suffice but for heavy use then I would follow Which? advice.

It depends on what you want it to do.

For modelling work I have a Draper 14.4 volt from Wilkinsons and a Parkside 14.4 volt 2 speed from Aldi.

Both were about 25 quid and the Parkside is the better one (I also use this for winding up/down the corner steadies on my caravan)

For general D.I.Y. where Masonry drilling is needed then you are looking at much more expensive units.

The drill that I use most is one of these Makita 10.8v ones

**LINK**

I have had it for about three years now and is the best drill I have ever had! For such a tiny drill it really packs a punch. The down side is that it only has a chuck of 10mm, but it is very solid and light and worth every penny.

For drilling masonry I have got an 18v B&D, also a 12v Ryobi which is more or less redundant since mr makita turned up and a corded B&D SDS drill for the really heavy stuff and chasing out walls. Oh and a Wickes 800w one for mixing plaster as well!

Cheers, Simon

L

18 volt Makita for me. Had others but always went back to Makita. I suppose it depends what you want to do with it, but then I do a lot of serious DIY, woodworking, making furniture etc .... as well as models. So I also have other Makita tools and they are great. For light occasional work I guess many of the cheaper drills will do the job, just be careful not to work them too hard.

Ronaldo

DeWalt or Makita for me. Have a variety of their tools and never been disappointed.

Bought a Bosch professional drill/driver when the Dewalt's NiCds would no longer hold charge (needed a drill and it was on offer somewhere); I was not impressed.

Doesn't have the build quality of the others IMHO.

Got a Dremel as an Xmas present last year for model use.

Norm

I have found my Hitachi drill to be excellent. Screwfix are doing the Hitachi 18 volt drill in a case with 2 lithium batteries for under 90 pounds at the moment. This has hammer function and a light for drilling in poor light conditions. A very robust drill of professional quality. There are no doubt many others that are good too, but this works for me.

As with all things you get what you pay for.

I had to replace a DIY one of random make last year and I bought a Makita similar to the one WF links to. Its solid, powerful, has a much superior chuck, uses a Li-Ion battery (common fitment to many different makes) and recharges in an hour. Yes it was over a hundred quid but I wondered how I ever managed with the old one.

Ian

Late to this, but my offering:

I've owned cordless drills by Hitachi, Bosch and Makita. They were/are all very good. My Hitachi used Ni-cads which is a huge disadvantage these days: I found cheaper non-Hitachi replacement batteries on Ebay, but...

I have a Bosch 18v and it is excellent like every other Bosch item I've had - except that the chuck is maddeningly crap, continually works loose, really bad!

More recently I bought a Makita 18v on special offer at B&Q for around £90, great value: like a couple of other Makita items I have, it is superbly well made, robust, reliable, great ergonomics - and the chuck stays tight...

I'd get another Makita anytime.

rgds Tony

ps Been looking at Dremel cordless miniature drills, the 8200 - interested to hear others' experience of this.

Can "us modelers" justify buying an expensive cordless drill when we only use it for "the hobby "

yes I have a bosch for heavy continuous work , but for general garage work I have an Aldi special 18v at £20 and I have yet to find anything wrong , My JCB still works well at at least 10 years old and again cost me £20 .

so ??????