Interesting Tiger Moth kit from BangGood

Geoff S

I've bought a few indoor 'toy' helipcopters from BangGood (v911) and been very satisfied with them with lots of flights in the local village hall and even in the house Now they are advertising a Tiger Moth laser cut kit here: **LINK**

It almost makes me wish I wasn't 99% through completing my DB Tiger Moth that's only very slightly bigger (1.5 metres v 1.4). At less than £80 posted from China it looks worthwhile looking at. I would think there's quite a lot more to do (working out battery installation for one) but it could be the basis for a very attractive model. Not only that, they sell 5 metres of covering film for around £10 posted! Not Solartex type but pretty good value.

Geoff

Advert

I know it's all been chewed over before on these forums but I have to ask.

I am thinking of ordering something from Banggood valued around £100.

I fully realise I will be liable for VAT but my question now is what other on charges may occur. I'm thinking of customs handling and also Parcelforces excellent money making enterprise (con) of charging express parcel forward from point of entry.

Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 16/11/2015 13:58:02:

Same as this

Yes, I thought I may have seen it before and probably about the same price once it's in the UK warehouse. I just think it's both interesting and a good thing that suppliers of ARTF kits are now seeing a market for kits and supplying it. I think there are others.

Andrew Price: I've never been charged for anything I've had posted from China, including BangGood, though none of it for as much as £100. I have been charged for things from the USA but not all. In fact I received a FrSky X8R non-EU receiver and a current telemetry module from HK's International warehouse this morning with no problems. Actually I'd happily pay duty and VAT for imported items if there was a simple way of doing it. The only reason I bought the receiver from HK is to avoid the hassle of reprogramming a new one bought here.

Geoff

From my limited experience you are allowed to import goods worth (I think) £15 from outside the EU & these would be duty/VAT free. Beyond that there should be import duty (depends on the goods) & VAT payable plus probably an admin fee from the carrier which ranges from around £10 to £25 depending on which carrier, phase of the moon etc etc. You may be "lucky" & the goods will arrive without any extra charges being levied but this is unlikely with large items....

The Banggood Tiggie looks just like the one from HK & is available from the UK warehouse for just over £70 so ordering it from China seems to make no sense to me you could buy it duty paid from the UK & avoid any hassle.

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 16/11/2015 14:35:07:and also Parcelforces excellent money making enterprise (con) of charging express parcel forward from point of entry.

No, they are charging you for handling on your behalf the matter of collecting and getting to the right place the VAT and customs duty payable on your offshore purchase.

If you don't like this, then buy direct within the EU zone.

HK say it's in transit to Elmslett and they are quoting a price (including VAT) is a couple of quid less than banggood's price (which doesn't include VAT)

Dave: as for the parcel force rip-off, they charge you 8 quid for handling an item which may have only incurred a small CAT charge (which includes being charged VAT on postage) but if it's sent EMS they slap an extra fiver on that for doing EXACTLY the same thing and don't deliver it any faster. Now if that isn't a rip-off I would like to know what is.

Other companies can (and do) charge you a percentage value of the VAT

Hi to all,

I wanted to order the HK Moth from the EU warehouse, being quite a bit cheaper than the same one from Banggood.

After looking at the comments, I (unfortunately) decided to pass on this one.

There seems to be some basic problems w/ that airplane - i.e. some labeling engraving has been 'overdone' and cutted through the wood in the middle of some parts & other pieces are unusable as the laser software went a bit 'mad' and cutted something like a centimeter into some formers.

Please have a look at the comments from 'Robbie' (in the EU warehouse). He also posted some 'great' pics in the Files-tag.

Happy Tigering

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Certainly there look to be some cutting errors but if that's all there are it wouldn't stop me buying the kit. It wouldn't be too difficult to make new pieces. What I didn't like was that the undercarriage in the photos of 'Robbie's' build isn't the same as the one shown and is nowhere near scale. It's not as though this is a tiny model when scale isn't perhaps so important (I'm thinking of the little foamie Tiggie GWS sold which only vaguely looked like a DH Tiger Moth).

It seems there are more kits to build in the EU warehouse than in the UK one.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You're totally right. Buying some balsa sheet & re-cutting the bits wouldn't be that hard (but then, how many of them parts are in the same condition?).

Also, the u/c seems to be quite unusable (out of scale!)... and that ali one seems totally 'off' as you wrote.

I must admit though, if I could find a (belgian) Stampe SV -4B at the same conditions (& €,-), I would buy it right away...

Happy hesitating

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

I have one of these Tiger's on the bench at the moment - bought from Al's Hobbies at the LMA Cosford show in the summer.

It's an interesting build; some bits very good, some simply awful.

The parts fit quite nicely, but they don't all match the printed leaflet. There's no plan or written instructions, but a large exploded view instead.

There are a couple of major errors that need attention;

The supplied undercarriage is made of welded mild steel, and is the wrong scale entirely. The model is 1:6.3 scale, and the u/c is larger that 1/5! I've made a new one from scratch.

The wing tips appear to be reversed when viewed from above, so I've flipped mine over.

I've added riblets between the main ribs, and then added capstrips on the wings and tail surfaces.

I've thrown the supplied snakes away, and fitted closed loop controls.

The supplied interplane struts are nasty, clumsy things made form black plastic/carbon, so I've made my own from piano wire, with balsa fairings.

The kit contents.

img_7998small.jpg

The grossly oversized undercarriage.

img_9104 small.jpg

Riblets, capstrips and reversed wing tips.

img_9308small.jpg

The supplied interplane struts, as opposed to mine.

img_9364 small.jpg

The story so far.......img_9391 small.jpg

img_9398 small.jpg

img_9367 small.jpg

Tim, I think I remember you mentioning the Tiggie kit when we spoke at Cosford.

You seem to be doing the obvious changes.

If I built one, I'd use the DB method for theinterplane struts which is very quick to do and involves fitting spilt cotters in the wings (for the eyes) with a hook at one end of the struts and another split cotter eye at the top. Then it's just a matter of hooking on and then sliding a 2mm rod through the top secures with an elastic band (I used a 14 gauge spoke). Very quick and easy.

I like the riblets. They are included in the DB version but there are no cap strips on the any of the ribs and I Ieft it as designed by Boddo. The ribs are quite thick (over 2mm, whatever that is in old money).

How are you fitting the flight battery? I've been puzzling over it today and finally decided to cut a hatch in the fibreglass cowl to gain access to the fuel tank bay. I think it will work - fingers crossed!

I'm sure it will make a fine model in your capable hands but I suspect it's not a first time builders kit.

Geoff

Geoff,

I did agonise over the battery, and also considered cutting the cowl to insert it from the front. However, now that the airframe has been assembled, I've slid the 4S 4000 battery in through the front cockpit, and the model balances at my calculated CG point.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. The kit gives the CG at the leading edge of the lower wing, whereas I've worked it out to be 40mm aft of that (which corresponds to where the rear cabane enters the centre- section, which seems to tally with other Tiger builders).

tim

Tim,

My battery access was going to be through the front cockpit right up until 2 days ago Then I decided it would be easier to go through the front. It isn't as easy as I thought but I've managed it. I've made the battery tray etc but I've yet to bite the bullet and take a hacksaw to the cowl.

You're right obout the CoG. On the DB Moth it works out to be back from the L/E of the bottom wing about 40mm. My CoG is in the right area but as there are other bits to do I'm not sure. I hope not to need lead anywhere because moving the battery around isn't an option.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by GrumpyGnome on 26/11/2015 13:44:21:

Hi Tim,

Just ordered one of these from HK (£66!) ............... did you discount 'tying' the wing joiner tubes into a spar - they seem to just go through a few balsa ribs .......

GG

GG,

No u/c template, I'm afraid. I just made it up as I went along.

Re the wing joiners; I've cut the supplied tubes into three pieces each, and permanently bonded these to the ply ribs to spread the stresses, and then fitted smaller diameter tubes within these.

The actual rigging will take most of the flight loads, leaving the joiners to act merely as incidence pins.

tim