Maplin giving multi rotors a bad name

Andrew Russell 2

Hi guys I thought i would just air some frustration about a maplin store. They have been flying quad copters in the car park of the retail centre where they are based in the middle of a very busy town some times within feet of people and cars. Its been going on for the past year and despite promises from maplin head office that the practice would stop they have been spotted doing it again at the weekend. It has been reported to the bmaa and caa but nobody seems to care.... Is it a double standard for large companies and model flyers? I'm geussing if a member of the public reported me for repeatedly flying like that i would at the very least be getting a stern talking to from the caa. I can only see this practice taring the rest of us with a bad name when the inevitable happens and it hits a car or a person.

See the attached video for some of the photos and videos members of the local model flying club have taken.

ahh that's better rant over for the day.

Andrew

Advert

Perhaps if Maplin were to read the complaint as "Staff giving Maplin a bad name" their PR might take more interest.

Perhaps it would be worth giving the local paper a 'free story' and and opportunity to educate the public.

Also an opportunity to publicly distance ourselves from such iresponsible action.

I am no rule book evangelist but that is a sizeable quad to be flying in an RF confused environment.

Edited By Kevin Wilson on 25/11/2015 10:59:01

It's advertising. I am not sure how it gives multirotors a bad name though.

I am not pro Maplins - before I get a good old tarring with a large brush, but I don't think that the company has any more influence other than a strongly worded email. In order to get folk in the doors the best way is to show folk what you've got. Seeing a multirotor flying around a car park does that.

Unless the CAA gets involved directly with that store there will probably only be lip service applied to the regs.

Having said that, in Milton Keynes shopping centre there is a stall with multirotors there being flown just, at times, inches away from people!! At any one point there's probably twenty to thirty people walking past within a couple of feet of a guy showing how he can make it do flips!

We might know the rules and regs but, in general, folk don't and are not immediately interested.

Best way forward seems to be to report it to the Police. The CAA don't have the resources to deal with this and I believe the system now in place is that above 400 ft the CAA get involved and below that it's the Police who do the enforcement. Question is, is it true and will the Police respond to a complaint especially of continuing breach of the rules.

Trouble is, while we may see the dangers in the situation, does Joe Public? While there are specific limitations applying to FPV and data gathering SUAs, if these quads are being flown as simple small unmanned aircraft then unless an accident occurs then I would suggest that the police would be unlikely to take the lead on something subjective. Of course, articles 138 and 166 of the ANO will apply, but unless something goes wrong, the operator can argue that the flight was considered safe.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 25/11/2015 11:48:33:

E-mail it to the CEO of Maplins ; Mr Oliver Meakin at [email protected] and cc it your MP and the CAA . It should then get the appropriate attention.

............................................................................................................................

waste no time and do as engine doctor has said...if not he'll do some damage to someone/thing.. kulou

ken anderson...ne...1........ tell maplin dept.

I don't think there is anything truely subjective here. Its a Phantom - so it has a camera. Turned on or not it still falls under 166 and 167 as it is a SUSA. The list of regs he's breaking is impressive:

Failure to be reasonably sure the flight can be completed safely (ANO 166). No reasonable person could describe that flight in those terms. Congested area, no observer etc. etc.

Flying within 50m of structures etc. over which he does not have control. (ANO 167)

And possibly even, undertaking a flight for the purposes of valuable consideration without a Permit for Aerial Work. (ANO 167)

And caught on film doing all that! Actually putting it on YouTube with the CAA's name attached is a smart move - the CAA do monitor YouTube for instances of breaches so its quite likely they will come across it.

BEB

I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge here BEB - I didn't realise it was camera equipped!

(and please don't think I condone this operation in any way - just pointing out that the Police would be unlikely to want to get involved unless an accident had occurred if there was no specific measurable offence committed.)

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/11/2015 15:13:15:

I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge here BEB - I didn't realise it was camera equipped!

(and please don't think I condone this operation in any way - just pointing out that the Police would be unlikely to want to get involved unless an accident had occurred if there was no specific measurable offence committed.)

There have been several cases recently where no specific accidents occurred yet the Police took action and secured a conviction of breaches of the ANO

This is why we have to be burdoned by legislation that reasonable and sensible don't need. Time it was enforced, especially in the light of the alleged promises from Maplin head office.

I shop at Maplin from time to time, well I did. This thoughtless and stupid behaviour will probably change that.

Ian

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 25/11/2015 17:14:00:

There have been several cases recently where no specific accidents occurred yet the Police took action and secured a conviction of breaches of the ANO

Just to clarify Dave - the specific distances etc. apply to SUSAs and FPVs not "normal" RC models where the requirements are for the operator to have satisfied himself that he can complete the flight safely (very subjective where no incident has occurred)...I was under the impression that the quad being flown in the car park was not camera equipped.

I believe the prosecutions were for those types covered by the SUSA/FPV legislation?

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/11/2015 17:55:56:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 25/11/2015 17:14:00:

Just to clarify Dave - the specific distances etc. apply to SUSAs and FPVs not "normal" RC models where the requirements are for the operator to have satisfied himself that he can complete the flight safely (very subjective where no incident has occurred)...I was under the impression that the quad being flown in the car park was not camera equipped.

I believe the prosecutions were for those types covered by the SUSA/FPV legislation?

I was thinking of the numptie that flew an FPV Fixed Wing very low over a road bridge then crashed into the Nuclear Submarine Yards at Barrow - No damage was inflicted but of course flying into a area covered by nuclear authorities causes an instant sense of Humour failure.....

Also the very recent prosecution of the guy from Nottingham who overflew football grounds in Manchester and Derby and did some filming in central London

But as you say both of these would qualify as SUSA/FPV

Though no doubt they could also be done under the catch all criteria of Article 166.2 (Line of Sight) rules anyway

circa 2006...i had to go to the local A/E with my dad.....on christmas day.....time we were waiting there- several kids comming in with nasty injuries to arms legs etc...i asked on of the nurses what was wrong with one of them and she told me that christmas day was a nightmare...parents buying kids mini motor cycles .....one had gone straight down the garden path...couldn't stop and hit the gate...part of the handle bar/brake had gone through his calf ...so moving on to today's times...we may see a few injuries from the current craze for the quadcopter's....as we all know ...most get them out the box put in the batteries and bingo......

ken anderson...ne...1 christmas dept.

Several years ago small IR heli's were all the craze, some of which could be paired and used for dog fighting type games. Now it seems to be quadcopters.

If I were to see someone in a shop flying one I'd have no hesitation in telling them exactly where they are going wrong and if met with the inevitable "I just work here" type reply then id play hell there and then and report them.

The CAA don't have the resources but the Police need to be careful as if a bobby were to interfere with the pilot, who may have control of the aircraft and as a result of the officer snatching the TX away the aircraft crashes then that officer would have broken the law. Much better for the aircraft to be in control with no accident but be in breach of the law than be uncontrolled, an accident occur and be in breach of the law.

Maplins should get a formal warning from the CAA and be monitored.

Out of interest does/has/will the BMFA be introducing some sort of scheme which informs retailers such as Maplins, BHS, Debenhams, Menkind, The Gadget shop etc etc, perhaps by a publication, leaflet, email etc?

Obviously the CAA have produced the 'drone code' and although it has been published and somewhat advertised through press reports have there been any active communications with retailers? The CAA is seen as very high level. Perhaps the BMFA and us as its members should be more proactive in spreading the word. Like Percy says we have a responsibility as it could quite easily come back on us.

Interesting debate, but I fail to see why the BMFA should have to spread the word to prevent air law or codes being breached.

The CAA have taken a pretty active stance on things so far and I have read articles in newspapers and bbc website etc giving a "how to operate a drone and be legal" type guide, so the message is getting there.

I really don't think the BMFA's resources should be used in engaging with retailers to try and get John Q Public to obey the law.

I would contend that the prosecutions carried out so far and the media reports of personal injuries have probably started to spread the message quite widely.