Blohm & Voss BV215 for PSS

Harry Twist

Hi All, it's a a wet Saturday afternoon in Derbyshire so .....

I thought I would share some progress so far of what I am hoping will be a worthwhile PSS project. I have long liked some of the Luft 46 designs and especially like the B & V 215, so thought I would try a PSS version.

From the start please can I add this won't be a build blog more an occasional posting of progress and sharing pictures!

I have used as a basis for the design - a copy of and old RCME plan for a depron BV215 ( thanks Glenn Block!) plus an Outerzone freeflight plan also - both modified but great as a basis for dimensions and plan form.

Structurally I have used a 3mm ply keel plus ply formers for the core - then 3mm balsa planked the fuz.

My wife thought I was building a sailing galleon at one point! (I suppose if it doesnt fly I could revert to that).

I am now at a point where I have basically made a kit of parts. Control will be by elevons and the servos are fitted outboard on the wings.The model will be two piece with a removeable wing.

Decided to try to lighten where possible - hence the cheese holes! So far I am up to just over 1 lb for wing/winglets/fins and fuz combined (including 2 servos!). Hoping to be around 2lbs all up.Span is 46".

Few questions I still need to settle in my mind - I want to make the anhedral tips knockoffable/removeable, so any ideas welcome! The depron plan calls for a GWS P-38 canopy - cant seem to obtain one - so I will probably make one up.

Finishing - not sure- possible lightweight glass fuz and solartex wings - then paint all over - (but dont really want to cover up all that woodwork!).

Will keep pushing along and post as I hopefully progress!

Regards H

p1050465.jpgp1050466.jpgp1050469.jpgp1050483.jpgp1050489.jpgp1050492.jpg

p1050493.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 28/11/2015 14:59:37

Edited By Harry Twist on 28/11/2015 15:01:04

Edited By Harry Twist on 28/11/2015 15:06:03

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the positive comments!

A little more progress to share - fuselage fully planked in and sanded - yes - I did need a little lightweight filler - and may yet need a little more when we get down to the fine finishing! Elevons and winglets sellotaped in place to show the overall look.

I have added short carbon fibre rods in a couple of what I think are vulnerable places - first to strengthen the extended wingtips and second for the "cut back" section near the wing root.

I am planning to add a small flat turret behind the cockpit as per original.

Making servo boxes and covers took a while and not sure if I am overly happy with them so may rethink this part of the build.

The model is roughly 1:10 scale and I have bought a couple of latex German pilots (need painting) to go in my yet unmade cockpit.

Still debating in my mind on finish colours and method.

Best wishes to all.

Regards H

p1050495.jpgp1050498.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 21/12/2015 00:13:34

Edited By Harry Twist on 21/12/2015 00:17:45

Edited By Harry Twist on 21/12/2015 00:18:31

• 1 month later...

Hi All, Thought I would update a little more progress with my B&V 215. Model is now fibreglassed all over fuselage and wings. Winglets and elevons are solartex covered. Photos show the model with everything sellotaped together - (so ignore bits hanging off at funny angles!)- just done for pictures. Also ignore the yellow solartex - this will be overpainted. Canopy giving scratchy head sessions at the moment - I just cant seem to get a good fit!

Now starting to think about final finish - dont have spray kit so roller and stipple paintbrush may be my method.

I have decided not to have the full anhedral angle on the outer tips and will keep this to probably around 10

degrees below horizontal.

Also - anyone recommend a good CoG calculator for flying wings (with outboard anhedral winglets!).

Couple of photos attached!

Regards

Harry

p1050573.jpg

p1050577.jpgp1050575.jpg

I was just thinking about what I at first thought was a difficult problem,

From what I have read, I seem to remember that the winglets were actually set up as a short coupled tailplane rather than part of the lifting surface. At first I thought it was a book, then realised it was almost certainly a booklet "Luftwaffe, Secret jets of the Third Reich" by Dan Sharp. The model that it is covered is the B&V 212.

If on the other hand you decide to set it up as a flying wing, then i have no immediate easy solution, Other than treat each set of wings independently of each other and set the final CG by proportion of the relative areas.

Or make a profile model, with the wing and winglets at exactly the same incidences and test glide, whilst weighting until a satisfactory CG is obtained. Then again by proportion set the model CG. With a model you can try both approaches and see which works the best.

Thanks Erflog - I was going to make a mini -test model - but I felt that the chance of me making a mini model and getting all the various angles correctly set up such that the mini model gave anything reasonable that could be related to the real model was fairly small! So rightly or wrongly I rejected that idea.

So my plan at the moment is to use maths to get somewhere close - set up the Cog a little forward of what is predicted and test glide over a shallow slope and long grass - prior to launching off a serious hill! Even then I expect adjustments to be a made over probably ( if it survives!) several flights.

Just re read the second part of your post - actually a profile model may be a good move _I will look at mocking one up.

Regards H

Edited By Harry Twist on 22/01/2016 23:14:30

After posting last night, I did read the section on the B&V212,.

sic. This high sweep pushed the wing joint on the fuselage so far forward ..... The high sweep.....but on the other hand it means that the tail booms can be reduced to insignificant stumps, without affecting the effectiveness of the control surfaces.

The B&V215 was a scaled up B&V 212, into all weather night fighter.

As you can see below I tried the same or similar idea on a flying wing. The centre section being a std. E205, the outboard panels have a modified E205 to incorporate reflex. The model in this form handles well. Better when the same design was made with a all reflexed wing. It was a prototype for a BARCS Leauge unorthodox section. The full size at +100 was never built as i stopped aeromodelling, to concentrate on work place and family commitments.

As you can see when returning (to the hobby) I changed it into a electric powered glider.

I set it up using the same CG calculator that a link has been provided. The only difference is that I would just use it for the centre section. This at worst would be conservative.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Well all that lovely woodwork on my scratch B&V 215 has been covered over for good with paint! ( I reckon some day I will leave a model unpainted and fly it naked in bare wood!)

First primer/ undercoat added today. Must confess to being not wholly happy with the finish, but consoled by the fact that I will probably sand most of it of again!

I do like the look of the model in white - so I am thinking of winter camouflage as a possible final colour scheme - quite a contrast in temperature to my initial North Africa desert scheme plan!

I'm helped by the fact that none of these aircraft (thankfully) got to see service - so I reckon I am fairly free colour scheme wise.

Couple of pictures to show progress so far. Still much to do around cockpit and the (nightmare) outer winglets...but getting there!

The model is looking increasingly menacing however....!

Regards H

p1050623.jpgp1050622.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Rich, Thanks for your message ref the B&V215, basically I modified a free plan from RCME Jan 2011, which was for a depron pusher ( there are build blogs on here from around then, plus there is some YT footage of built pusher models flying). I have adapted this for slope and built it in balsa - basically the plan provIded a good outline shape for the fuselage and wing / winglets. I also used (as Mark has indicated above) the Outerzone plan to help with other details. For a 90mm edf I think the model would need to be scaled up- not sure to what span? The current wingspan is around 40 inches and the fuselage section approx 4 inches round ( its a flattened ellipse but approx 4 inches in section). The link provided by Martin (above) should also help in homing in on a plan. I do have the original RCME depron plan if that helps.

Attached are a couple of photos of the model as it is today. It took me three attempts to blow a canopy and I'm still not sure its right- so its just sat on top for now. Some detailing still needed ref decals etc but overall I'm happy with the result so far.

img_20180521_203750819.jpg

img_20180521_203759020.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 21/05/2018 21:11:58