Too Windy To Fly - Go Slope Soaring In Storm Desmond.

Advert

Phil - you got to remember I'm normally a club flying field man - we generally hate anything over 15mph and cross wind gusts can sometimes produce some blue air from club members...

BUT - Soaring -You lot tend to moan the other way around - when its calm and no thermals... sad

Just trying to generate some interest for people - something to extend they flying time... Regards Peter wink

I was in Derby and when going through a park, a person was trying to teach himelf to fly a quad. Was doing it all wrong facing downwind and he hasn't flown anything before and trying to fly it in a gale force wind downwind is not a good idea.

I had a chat with him and told him it's way too windy to fly - then a gust picked up his quad bag and blew it 1/4 mile down the field, sending his tools, transmitter and bags scattered all over the field.

I got the bag back for him, he realized it was silly - but he wanted to fly it, as he works all week, and every day is raining and/or windy...

That, I told him is how it goes.

Hi Phill. smiley It truly seems the weather patterns are changing and good flat calm field flying days have not been as common (sadly) this year...

My old slope soaring foamies had been in the shed for a few years and after digging them out I dusted them down and took them to the slope again - enjoying it so much - don't know why I stopped.

As I am seeing an extension to my flying time I felt it was a good idea to try and pass on the good news to others who perhaps are doing what I was starting to do "moaning about the bad weather" so why moan when you can use what God gives you.

As some would say " he works in mysterious ways" Regards Peter

Hi Chris. It's interesting to see from where all the slope soarers pop up from - far and wide and it's amazing how many are out there. The original thread kicked off with a vengeance and I just wonder how many of you are out there.

Today at Detling some guys had traveled over from the relatively flat County of Essex to fly...

Shows how popular this is so I wonder how many are out there?

More coming out of the woodwork - if they are local to you have some fun wrap up warm and go along....

Remember Zagi flying wing £40 and some parcel tape £2 two old servos out the box and hey what about one of your old 35 Mhz Rx!

One of the lowest costing planes you can buy - and hell of a job to break i...

How many more sites out there?

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 05/12/2015 21:13:04:

More coming out of the woodwork - if they are local to you have some fun wrap up warm and go along....

Remember Zagi flying wing £40 and some parcel tape £2 two old servos out the box and hey what about one of your old 35 Mhz Rx!

One of the lowest costing planes you can buy - and hell of a job to break i...

How many more sites out there?

I'm sorry Peter I can't agree, that is the first step, and you'll soon be needing that mouldie that you can ballast up and really scorch around, and then another for the light thermally days........................wink

Hi Frank. More models = You could well be right... Currently have a Zagi, Wildthing and a big foam wing and I could perhaps try the Multiplex Calaris. Also have a Balsa glider I renovated some yeas back but I have only used that a few times because when its good weather I tend to fly scale biplanes if I can at our flying field...

Slope soaring is a great aspect of our hobby which I am sure by the interest the two videos have generated does get a bit overlooked by many "flat fielders" (like me). I have also found that flyers on the hill are very welcoming when you turn up to fly which is very warming to any person wishing to try slope soaring...

Like many others (I suspect) I was getting into a rut moaning about the weather patterns this summer - blown out weekends & wet and dismal days spent looking at the models in the shed - but it all goes to show that

"One mans poison is another mans medicine" however, if you "jump" from one flying discipline to the other the bored situation would often not apply! = more flying / stick time having fun.

I also post these videos onto our club Blog site to see if I can generate any further interest - will see if I get any!

Regards Peter

Caught the tail end of Desmond today.

Had a brief spell of rain and low cloud and the wind started at about 25mph then dropped off to about 5mph when it went dark!

20151206_153431.jpg

Would have been better if there was somebody else there too but I was taking a chance and flying between spells of light rain so can understand why some would prefer to stay at home!

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/12/2015 11:54:25:

Hi Frank. More models = You could well be right... Currently have a Zagi, Wildthing and a big foam wing and I could perhaps try the Multiplex Calaris. Also have a Balsa glider I renovated some yeas back but I have only used that a few times because when its good weather I tend to fly scale biplanes if I can at our flying field...

Regards Peter

Maybe a Phase 6 next, I can never understand why Ripmax have not ARTF'd this.