Extra 300 scratch build from plan.

Glyn R

Advert

I can't help thinking that both the construction of the engine box, and it's mounting to the firewall should include some form of mechanical retention i.e. slots with tabs and/or nuts and bolts with washers at both ends. I would be worried if the only thing preventing the engine from flying off was glue.

I agree now with hindsight. My plan is to redesign with substantially more reinforcement of the box itself and the fixing to the bulkhead. It will certainly include nuts and bolts. The original had 25cc 2 stroke glow but this is not really of significance,probably less vibration. It was obviously flown there is a build article in the magazine wuth photos.

To me this looks like a really flawed design. Most models of this genre have the engine "box" continuing back through the main bulkhead former for one or more formers back into the fuselage often interlocking with the wingtube and landing gear mount as well. You were lucky you never got round to the maiden

Edited By Ultymate on 04/09/2016 11:42:16

• 3 weeks later...

Now fixed and ready for test run in the plane.

20160922_142803.jpg

20160922_142753.jpg

I used 1/2" spruce as reinforcers and epoxyed them in place with 3mm bolts though in 2 directions. I think the whole front end will fail before this joint. I added some screws to the firewall to strengthen this a little more. Although it seem adequate as is.

The cowl is now being rubbed down ready for final paint.

When I build my next one it will be very different in this area.

Edited By Glyn R on 23/09/2016 09:44:36

Edited By Glyn R on 23/09/2016 09:46:56

Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 23/09/2016 11:08:27:

While the design does seem inadequate from the picture this also looks like a case of dry joints. The wood looks dry with inadequate evidence of glue and there is hardly any evidence of wood fiber being pulled out from the ply firewall.

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 23/09/2016 11:09:10

Maybe so.

• 1 month later...

Finally got back to it. I have given up on trying to get a good red match for the cowl. I am back to basics with a plain white gloss finish. I have run the engine in the model and everything seems fine. Once the white cowl is on I will need to balance and Hey presto.

20161121_114635.jpg

The white gloss arrives on Thursday.

I seem to remember this was a quick build to fly this summer. Looking out of the window perhaps next summer will be OK.

Still back to the Sea Fury for the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Its together now. All the controls work. I have the ignition and choke on the receiver.

20161130_154144.jpg

20161130_154228.jpg

I may put some club decals and lettering on after the maiden.

I have left it a bit late, still a suitable day will appear.

You can see the ignition light is on in the second picture.

Edited By Glyn R on 30/11/2016 17:26:36

I just rechecked the balance with the cowl on. It's bang on without any lead.

It is a remarkable coincidence. I changed the covering, changed the engine type and used 1/16 balsa sheeting rather than 1/32.

I intend now to check the total weight and static thrust before I attempt a maiden.

I can't think of any more safety checks I can do before I commit to air.

• 1 month later...

A really annoying problem arose. The new AR8000 Rx I bought turned out to be faulty. I don't like to blame the equipment because it is so rarely the problem. I bought another Rx and fitted in its place and it now works perfectly every time.

The fault with the Rx only arose after it had been bound and setup, when I left it unpowered for a day or two it seemed to lose bind. I sent it back to Horizon who are going to send me a new AR8010 in its place.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Would you believe I spent this summer with a heart problem. I ended up with bypass surgery. I was not allowed to drive for six weeks. I had just begun to get back to normal when this started. 3 months went by before I was able to do anything. The last 12 months have been a nightmare. Still I'm OK now. Must get back to flying again.sarcastic