More Flooding

scott finnie

Advert

About 15 years ago Reading council approved plans for a car park at a new cinema wich could also be used as a 'park and ride' car park Many locals warned against this as the site was known to flood regularly. The council, in their 'wisdom' granted permission. not long after it started to operate there was heavy rain and local radio sent out a call for motorists to come and rescue their cars. I doubt if any council heads were sacked.

Posted by Mowerman on 29/12/2015 16:37:17:

About 15 years ago Reading council approved plans for a car park at a new cinema wich could also be used as a 'park and ride' car park Many locals warned against this as the site was known to flood regularly. The council, in their 'wisdom' granted permission. not long after it started to operate there was heavy rain and local radio sent out a call for motorists to come and rescue their cars. I doubt if any council heads were sacked.

Swmbo remembers her dad ( who used to work for Thames Water when was alive), talking about this. It should never have been.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 29/12/2015 14:28:55:

There are loads of photos of the floods, but this one is the scariest. Just thinking how that window is holding the water pressure back, and how watertight is the building...

2fa5ed0800000578-0-image-m-15_1451344664221.jpg

Is she cleaning the windows or waving for help ? I don't think I would bother cleaning if water was halfway up my windows unless there is a variety of fish to watch thinking

We had our bad time in the South over Christmas back in 2013. Not as bad as this I grant you but Tonbridge and the surrounding areas suffered quite badly.

Much of the problem as I see it is not failure to get the water into the rivers.We are now building and paving large areas which is putting the rain at high speed into our drainage systems, what should be happening is it should be draining down through fields to replenish our aquifers which is why we are short of water in our boreholes. The accelerating program of building on flood planes is just making the problem worse from both sides.

Shaunie.

Unfortunately it is not only the flood plains or housing situated near rivers that can be affected.

I used to live in a Cumbrian hillside village, where I still have an interest. During the last heavy weather ( about a week back) both ends of the village was cut of. The cause in one case was due to the stream/brook backing up at a bridge in the village, which has an impact upstream, the brook flooding onto one of the roads coming in and also flooding houses by the brook. The other end is just a case of the brook over flowing, which it has done on a frequent basis, flooding houses each time. This is a problem that is so frequent it desperately needs addressing.

One of my neighbours moved from our village into Cockermouth, so that her daughter could have something approaching a social life as a teenager. Her house on Goat lane has now been flooded 3 times, each time I see her on national and local news, saying very similar things.

From what i saw a week back, the Derwent did not seem to be running as high as previously, so maybe the EA has done some good. Although i suspect they could and should do more.

This last bout of rain has left a lot of the Fylde covered in water of various depths, which i witnessed visiting and staying with my daughter over Christmas. This area seems one good down pour from disaster.

The EA needs bringing into line by the government and it being made plain to them, that the prevention of flooding of properties, is more important than wild life habitats. Only after successfully completing the main task as the majority of tax payers will probably see it, can they divert their attention to their pet wild life projects. Or better still, the wild live and conservation projects, are managed within the main objective, not an end in themselves.

I can see the sense of diverting some of the Foreign Aid programme this year into UK community flood projects, although as a Christian, we cannot ignore the truly in need in countries with little resources, which is not India and similarly placed countries. Yet although some countries can spend a fortune on rockets and similarly vanity projects, can we just ignore ordinary citizens in need, even though their own governments choose to ignore their plight..

Which brings us back to the UK, neither should our government of whatever colour ignore the plight and well being of its own citizens.. As yet we do not know how much the present government will do. The troubles in Cumbria occurred under the last Labour government, as yet non have done enough.

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2015 21:33:56

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2015 21:34:19

In August we were badly flooded, about 9" of sewage and filth. It was utterly disgusting, upsetting and exhausting in equal measure. Few people realise when watching the floods on the news that its not river or rain water, its sewage water.  

After that I bought a pump. a proper Honda petrol powered jobbie, and it has paid for itself several times over already by diverting rising water. We're fully prepped for tonight, fingers crossed that it doesnt come in faster than we can pump it out!

Cheers
Phi

Edited By Phil Green on 30/12/2015 11:46:40