The Guppy

Stephen Jones

Hi ,

The holiday season has allowed me some spare time to work on one of my many unfinished plans.

dscf1690a1.jpg

I have finally finished this plan.

Unfortunately i still can not take pictures so i have drawn over the outline so you can see it.

The wings i have CAD drawn and the rest is hand drawn.

It has a wing span of 44 inch and a semi symmetrical airfoil so hopefully it will cope with windy conditions.

I am thinking on powering it with a ic engine .15 to .20 so i can just fuel and fly and just fuel and fly and just fuel and fly ................ you get the idea.wink

It will also be easy to power it with electronic set-up and there is easy access for a 4s 3000ma Lipo.

And as for the name i was thinking maybe Fish Tail or maybe Dolphin..

Steve

• 3 months later...
Advert

Nice. Looks right so it should fly right thumbs up

That underfin thingy might be a bit vulnerable when landing, though?

Although the benefits of electric are manifold, there is a huge amount to be said for "fuel and fly, fuel and fly, fuel and fly". Some of my very best days at the patch have been doing exactly that

Hi,

Some nice suggestions there thumbs up.

Ok, not been able to do much as work and Swmbo has kept me busy , cut a few pieces of wood and had to give up or get my ear chewed off.

Anyway here is some background on what and why i have gone about the design.

The under fin will be ply sandwiched between two sheets of balsa and will be dual purpose .

It should help keep the nose down on belly landings and if i go for adding wheels should then work as a tail skid.

The elevator hangs behind the fuselage so that the control horn can be fitted to the top of the elevator but will also be able to retract within the fuselage to help streamline.

The rudder will have a toque rod fitted so that can be streamlined within the fuselage.

The ailerons on the wings will also be operated by toque rods to one standard servo mounted in the Centre of the wing which in turn will also help streamline .

The wings i have decided to go with a thin semi symmetrical wing and the aerofoil will be a rg15 .

fish wing.jpg

Oh nearly forgot to mention there will also be 2.5 degrees of washout. smiley

Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 23/04/2016 23:57:03

Posted by cymaz on 24/04/2016 06:46:42: Keep at the build, I'm in

Thank`s thumbs up

In regards to the under Fin i have built Many models with the under fin and had no problems.

My Racer

Short Circuit.

Southerner 60

My son

My Sports 40.

Excuse the old poor Pictures without taking new pictures of the fins . You get the idea.

Steve

Ok i have completed one wing panel.

wing.jpg

Started cutting the spars, leading edge, sub trialing edge for the next wing panel then had a look through my stock only to find i have run out of 1/16th sheeting.

Then it dawned on me that i had forgotten to fit the webbing between the spars blush on the wing i have already completed.

I have checked my wing panel for strength and i do think it needs the webbing .

So do i scrap it or do i try and cut a 1/16th slice either side of the bottom spar and insert some webbing , Anyone else made this mistake ?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

Managed to do some work on this one today ,

Completed a new rhs wing panel with the webbing in place this time blush that will teach me for going too fast without thinking .

Anyway happy with the new panel ,

ftwing1.jpg

ftwng2.jpg

I have tacked the Aileron in place for the time being and will cutout after the LHS has been completed.

ftribs.jpg

ftwing.jpg

In regards to the 1st rhs panel i will as a experiment cut some holes into the top and bottom sheeting and fill with expanding foam to see how it turns out , has to be better than just chucking it in the bin . One never knows it might turn out ok , a foam filled wing in reverse.

Steve

Posted by mightypeesh on 08/05/2016 08:45:43:

Hi Steve. Please post your results re the expanding foam as to whether or not it rips it apart even with exit holes! I like a bit of foam but have not got around to trying it yet.........

Cheers, Simon

Will do,

I think i have some expanding foam left after fitting a new patio door if not i notice Lidi are currently selling the stuff at £2.99.

Steve

Hello again,

Ok so have been building the 2nd wing.

wing2a.jpg

As usual been having problems taking pictures, So this picture shows how the ribs sit on the building board and has the top skin fitted as when i tried to take pictures of the ribs and leading/trailing edge pined to the plan the picture looked Crap.

wing2c.jpg

The building tabs help build in the wash out.

wing2b.jpg

Here you can see the wing is mounted upside down on some more building supports, of coarse the tabs now need cutting off from both the front and back of all the ribs it then needs to be pinned down Via the leading and trailing edge so that the bottom skin can be fitted.

Steve

OK

Using expanding foam to fill the void within a built up wing.

foam1.jpg

I covered the lower sheeting with masking tape then made some holes , using a light i could see through the wing and determine where the ribs and spars are.

foam2.jpg

1. two hole where made in opposite corners.

2. two holes made in the middle of the ribs.

3. three holes made in between the ribs.

4 varied the amount of foam injected into the holes

foam3.jpg

After injecting the foam into the holes the foam was slow to start expanding , and when it started to expand was very rapid which was fine as it oozed out of the holes and i had too allow it to pour out onto some plastic sheeting .

This made it difficult to gauge how much foam was needed in each segment of the wing and awkward to work on the next segment until the expansion had slowed down .

By holding the work upside down to allow the excess foam to pour out i was able to manage the build up .

Once the foam had stopped expanding i scrapped off the excess foam while it was still soft but no more foam would ooze out of the holes .

All looked fine and dandy for a while then i started to hear a loud popping sound and could not work out what was going on .

After a while all was quiet and so i removed the foam from the holes and the masking tape , it would appear that once the foam has stopped expanding it begins to harden up around its external surface and then expands a little more and with greater force and i assume that the popping sound i heard earlier was the balsa skin being forced off the ribs as there are waves in the sheeting .

The wing is now rock solid and the foam has added 40 grams to the overall weight , was 49g now 90g

Steve

It could  be ribs breaking away from the wing skin 

As you know, you can't put foam in every hole at once and definitely not the exact same amount. This would cause different expansion in each wing bay....just a thought.

Edited By cymaz on 11/05/2016 01:13:37

Edited By cymaz on 11/05/2016 01:16:26

I like the look of this Steve, the design should work and the wash-out is good. Not sure why you were worried about the webbing though. On a fully sheeted wing like this it won't make a scrap of difference. All of the bending loads are transmitted longitudinally through the top and bottom skins, tensile in the lower and compression in the top. Reverse when upside down. As long as the join between the two panels is secure you'd never get that to bust in the sky.

Hi mightypeesh,

i would not call it a success, as i would not use the wing with ripples in it .

It does look ok but when you run you're hand over it you can feel the ripples and when you look at it side on you can see the ripples.

I could of just squirted a little foam in near the spars and then it may of been better or kept the wing compressed .

Maybe some further test should be conducted at a later date.

Steve

Watching with interest Steve. I like how you have done the joinery on the wing.

With that layout and wing section, it looks like it could quite slippery and aerobatic with the right power plant. You want a fish with attitude, how about Mako or Barracuda?

Posted by Fredrum on 19/05/2016 14:01:11:

Watching with interest Steve. I like how you have done the joinery on the wing.

With that layout and wing section, it looks like it could quite slippery and aerobatic with the right power plant. You want a fish with attitude, how about Mako or Barracuda?

Thank you thumbs up.

I have now completed the wing and i am very happy with the way it looks and feels, very light at 225g yet is very ridged and strong .

I am hoping for a nice slippery acrobat, it certainly looks as though it will be, lets hope it doesn't turn out as Terbour has suggested CODs wallop wink

Steve