The Guppy

Stephen Jones

Posted by trebor on 20/05/2016 07:37:11:

How about, Omega 3 yes

It's slippery and fishy.

Edited By trebor on 20/05/2016 07:40:09

I like that one, trebor

and i know i was set on going ic but i have just been looking at my electric motors and i have all the gear to go in .

Omega 3, would suit an electric version .

HUmmmmmm dont know

Steve

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trebor,

I am hoping it will be fast as i chose the RG15 aerofoil from a free pull out from one of the magazine .

I don't know which mag or year as their is no page numbers or year or magazine info.

It reads , A set of fast flying efficient aerofoils chosen for their performance at the World Championships.

F3B aerfoils

The pull out give lots of aerofoils and wind tunnel test , coefficient drag and so on.

Lets hope it doesn't turn out to be as you say CODs wallop, wink

Steve.

Although i have designed this model to be multi purpose not ( multi porpoise ) a model that can be flown with ic or Electric or even a Slope soarer,

Although not finished i have only pinned the tail plane and fin in place and the good news is that without a motor on the front and with the battery and servos up front it will balance at the suggested Cog point for a Slope model.

And with a Electric motor up front and its battery Esc will also balance correctly.

Where as with an ic engine and tank the servos will have to be mounted in the rear compartment .

And as a one piece model i can get it, in and out of my loft, Phew !!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to do some more work on this one,

fish1a.jpg

fish2a.jpg

fish3a.jpg

fish4a.jpg

fish5a.jpg

I have the linkages and of coarse the covering to do yet .

I am pleased with the way it looks now the build is finished, i was concerned it was a little Fat.

As i meant to use two and a half inch wing bandaged but all i had was 3" .

Steve smiley

Hi Piers Bowlan,

Omega G for the glider Version sounds about right,

The body is 4" at it`s highest point and three and a half inch at it`s widest point and so looks proportionately right.

I will see how well she flies and then decide if i need to make any changes.

I have already changed the width of the body and the area of the fin, as they did not look right to me.

I have made several models with wide bodies all have flown fast one has a Very bulbous body yet it flies very fast in fact i have to keep the motor running slow on landing as without it`s breaking effect she comes in very fast picking up speed on the way in.

Their are very few formers in the body so it will be very easy to change if needed the center of the wing helps as a former too.

formers.jpg

Nice and simple just like me wink.

Steve

The sides are made from 2.5mm balsa with 1/16th ply doublers,

The doublers also provided the firewall with 3 degrees of down thrust.

doubler.jpg

And a standard engine mount fitted to 1/8th ply firewall.

enginmount.jpg

And washers fitted to the back of the engine mount gives 3 degrees of right thrust.

I will post some more pictures of the inside of the body tomorrow after i get back from Weston Park as i need to pick up some bits n bobs .

Steve

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 18/06/2016 21:01:15:

Perhaps the glider version should be called Omega G. I think it will need to go on a diet for that. Narrow formers for a skinny Fuselage to reduce the drag would be helpful in an un-powered version.

Hi,

Just had a re-think it would have to be Omega S for Slope version, Or Segi ( Slope Electric Glider Ic )

Steve.

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/06/2016 12:15:19:

It kind of reminds me of an old Radio Modeller plan I have tucked away. That one was a very similar size, and was named Piglet........

Hopefully not a swine to fly.......

Google is a wonderful tool , Just found these two, Piglet plan 143 , Piglet Mag 142

Hopefully you are wrong about it being a swine to fly.

I would`t want that .

And i don't think i will be painting it pink for sure.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 20/06/2016 23:40:02

Ok,

I have done some of the Radio installation,

smlthrottle.jpg

I could of had the wing positioned more central to the body, I over estimated the height of the wing servo and so there is plenty of clearance between the servo connectors and the top hatch.

smlbay.jpg

Here you can see the fiberglass and Epoxy pushed into the wing seat .

smlreciver.jpg

The Elevator and Rudder servo are mounted in the rear compartment. To keep push rods as short as possible and give strong positive movement.

smlservos.jpg

The tank bay is large and high so that the clunk will be level with the needle valve to help good fuel flow.

smltank.jpg

The ply hatch .

smlclosed.jpg

I still have to secure the throttle snake to the inside of the body, fit the power switch and the rear push rods.

Then i will need to fuel proof the Tank bay and nose area.

Then i can think about covering and color schemes.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

With all this bad weather i have had some time to spend on covering my model.

Not being very artistic i set about color in some pictures to see what i could come up with.

fshcolor.jpeg

And with some felt tip pens came up with this, I needed something bright and while traveling up and down are motorways in the rain, Motorway maintenance vehicles, lorries , Police cars all stood out clearly in the rain and mist.

This is where i am at so far,

colfish.jpg

Steve.