Mark's Ballerina MK1

Mark Elen

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your kind comments. Your ballerina looks great👍 We have yet to see how mine flys, it might be all show and no go😂

I've been pottering tonight, a little here and a little there. Made up one of the extension lead ends and covered one of the servo boxes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Peter👍

I've been plodding along this morning, but now I've got to go to work😞 Got the wing almost finished, both servo boxes are now covered, servos in and extension lead finished and tested, just need to hinge the ailerons and make up the control rods and it is done.

I had already shortened the servo leads so that there wasn't a load of lead to loose in the servo box, the extensions got pushed through the tubes with the pins sticking out of the connectors before the connector plate was pushed onto them, as the connector plate was too big to fit through the tubes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Very nice.

Just my personal preference but I like to use 1/2 paper tubes and extend the servo lead from servo to root without a break. but then I fit the Y lead atthe root.

Having said that, as most people will know I still like the central servo and bellcranks out in the wings.

And before anyone says "But if one servo packs up you still have one," I have news for you, trying to fly an aerobatic type model on one aileron will end in a nasty accident.

Thanks Peter,

I've got to admit that I did think about doing it that way and I don't like adding connectors for the sake of adding connectors. My reasoning is that should one of the servos fail, it will be a pretty easy solderless job to replace it, even if the excess cable gets stuffed in the servo box. Plus, I wanted to prove the concept as the plan that I'm formulating for the next build involves 4 servos in the wing, plus 2 retracts, I'm hoping to achieve this with 2 pairs of multiplex connectors, one set green and one set red. We will see how that works out in the fullness of time😁

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

A little more done tonight, this is always the bit I like the least, plumbing and setting up linkages. Put one last tank of fuel through the engine this afternoon, I'm happy it is run in enough to go in. Finished off the night with a bit of painting. I've still got some sanding work to do on the bottom of the cowl, but until I decide where the battery is going and glue in the bottom of the tank bay, the extra 'meat' is taking the dings as its moved around.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Another job that I've been putting off and pondering how to approach was rounding the fillets between the stringers on the top of the fuselage. I finally bit the bullet and made a start. That's one down and a few more to go. Sanded that down with a 6mm dia Permagrit fine file, it should fit all of the front fillets, but it ain't gonna fit the back ones.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Permagrit needle files I have are much coarser than that, I may end up wrapping some fine sandpaper around one for the back ones.

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 27/10/2017 16:56:31

"Next time" remains a super projection in any build process, Mark.

Not that you really need some 'progress' in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I'm more than ever convinced your Ballerina is going to be at the very top in the row. yes

I sincerely think you should be part of Danny's Fury Class Room next October 2018.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Andy, Chris,

Many thanks for your kind comments. I was trying hard to get those right as my plan is that they are going to be on show with the transparent blue covering them. Still not 100% on the final scheme yet, but I've pretty much decided that the stringers will be visible under the covering.

I've toyed with the idea of signing up to that build Chris, but I'm not really a biplane fan, and I've got the hawk lined up next, if it takes me as long as the Ballerina, I'll still be mithering over it in 2020! 😂

Regards

Mark

Hi Peter,

It's as much a curse as it is a blessing. Trouble is it takes forever to do anything and then it's never good enough. 😁

Today ive got all of the plumbing finished in the bathroom and had a few minutes sanding the fillets at the back of the Fuz. I'm pretty happy with these

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Hi Chris,

Don't twist my arm too much buddy, it wouldn't take a lot for me to sign up😂 In fact, I'll do you a deal.... You promise to post up your Baron/Vimicote log to here, and I'll sign up and build the Fury.....(Geez, what have I let myself in for now) 😂

Regards

Mark

Mark

For a few years I scratched a living making desktop models for owners, mainly sailplanes. There were 1/32 scale and hand carved in lime wood. Usually with cockpit detail.

Needless to say they had to be perfect. IT was at that point I gave up even thinking of anything like perfection on my own models

I was going to post a picture but it seems that the system has gone wrong

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the comments. I will get signed up Chris 😁

Managed an hour tonight, I'm wanting to get everything together now, so that I can test balance and decide exact placement of the battery, the photo below is my preferred placement, but it will fit below the throttle pushrod in the bottom of the tank bay. I really don't want it there, but if it balances tail heavy now, it's probably where it's going to end up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Hi all,

Quite a bit of progress, but not a lot to show. Got pretty much everything on and with the wings on, I've decided to fit the battery below the tank. It pretty much balances in the correct place with it there. There may be a bit of fine adjustment to do once the covering is done, but I'm happy we're in the right ball park.

Fitted the tank with silicon and the battery is well wrapped in foam, so got on with the final piece to glue on.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark