Mark's Ballerina MK1

Mark Elen

Hi Peter,

No, not as much fun, but just as rewarding when it's finished. So tonight I got home from work, had a couple of hours on the bathroom then managed an hour on the ballerina. I'm loving this Oracover, you can really whack the temperature up and it shrinks beautifully.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not much to show for an hours work, but it's coming along slowly.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks very much for your kind comments gents.

This is my solution to plugging the two aileron servos in correctly each time the wing goes on, I found these boards online at Nexus Models for the 6 pin Multiplex connectors. A couple of minutes tonight with the soldering iron and they're ready to take the servo leads.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They are double sided boards with good size solder pads to take the servo wire, once they are done, I'll heat shrink the boards and servo wires.

Thinking about it, you could run 4 servos off these using the 2 outer pads (available both sides) for pos and neg, then each of the four middle pads (2 each side) for the 4 signal cables.

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 05/10/2017 22:59:36

Hi John,

The Ballerina is much more interesting. I now have a target, as I've bought Tony N's Hawk Plan, CNC kit and most of the bits for it, to be honest, I was pondering how to wire up all 4 servos in the wing on that, along with the retracts, that was where the Multiplex plug idea came from. I've promised myself that this must be finished before I start on it. Been having fun with this getting my flying up to scratch ready:

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Beautiful workmanship Mark, impressive stuff. yes

I can see the TN Hawk being very popular but with the EDF/ESC, retracts and LiPos, it's quite a pricey project. I have some 6s LiPos so may go for a lightweight version at some stage, but not in the middle of a house move! Looking forward to your build blog.

By the way, did you make a start on the Denis Tapsfield Grumman Cougar you mentioned a while back?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 06/10/2017 08:39:28

Hi Piers,

Thanks for your kind comments and I hope the house move is not too stressful. The Cougar has gone on the back burner for now, its still on the build list but after seeing Tony's small Hawk, I was in two minds about building that before the Cougar. As soon as I saw the bigger version, my decision was made. You're right about it being pricey.

I've also got the plan for a Scottish Aviation Bulldog that I bought the Fibreglass Cowl and the Canopy for back in the 80s, back in the MAP days. I have visions of that with the Swedish Splinter Camo Scheme - now there is a challenge.

image.jpeg

I fancy having a go at that with cloth and poly-c to learn something new, then spray and mask after scaling the masks above up.

Too much to do.. so little time. Really that is my next five years of modelling mapped out.smiley

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 06/10/2017 11:42:05

Edited By Mark Elen on 06/10/2017 11:44:41

I had the day off work today, so after spending most of the day working on the bathroom, I managed to get the other bottom half of the wing covered.

image.jpeg

Another couple of hours should see the top covering done. I still need to do some work on the Fuz before it's ready for covering but that's for another day.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Today at work I've been racking my brain as to how that sliver of blue got under the covering and if it was worth either cutting and trying to remove it or taking all of that section off and re-doing it.

It suddenly hit me, the last job on the bench involved black heatshrink and I had to cut a tiny sliver off. Yup, that is definitely where it went😁

Anyway, I've managed to resist the OCD urge to recover that panel and it will have to do.

I'm pretty pleased with how it's finished up and it all seems to line up pretty well too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for your generous comments.👍

There is around 10 hours work there. After lots of ideas and at one point deciding not to do the scallops, a plan was formulated and drawn out using the pencil in the circle cutter. The blue was pretty easy to cut out, the White was a little harder as I couldn't see the circle centres through the covering. I ended up trimming the white back to reveal the centres then it became much easier. I just used the circle cutter with the point straight through the plan and into my plasterboard building board.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm still amazed that it all lined up so well. One or two of the scallops are not exactly central on the ribs, but they are pretty close.

I'm glad now that I decided to go have a go at this, it has pushed me to learn something new and for that, Peter, I am most grateful👍

Cheers

Mark