Mark's Ballerina MK1

Mark Elen

A little more done tonight:

Starting with the u/c slots, I did wonder if I had put enough glue under them when I put them in.... obviously not😂 It worked quite well as I had decided to remove the balsa under where the saddles are going to fit so that it didn't squash down and wrinkle the covering. Then I flowed a little more superphatic between the ply and the lower sheeting.

image.jpeg

Also sanded the dihedral brace and epoxied it into one wing half.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Mark Elen on 26/01/2017 19:38:57:

A little more done tonight:

Starting with the u/c slots, I did wonder if I had put enough glue under them when I put them in.... obviously not😂 It worked quite well as I had decided to remove the balsa under where the saddles are going to fit so that it didn't squash down and wrinkle the covering. Then I flowed a little more superphatic between the ply and the lower sheeting.

Also sanded the dihedral brace and epoxied it into one wing half.

Cheers

Mark

I have now made a slight improvement to my methods. I put a layer of 1/16" balsa under the U/C mount which allows my to sand it to mattch the curvature of the skin.

Mark,

Nice build - it's coming along very well indeed. I am a big fan of the Great Planes easy sanders. I bought a few (12", 6" and the multi) whilst working/living in Canada and haven't looked back. They fit very nicely in the hand (not as clumsy as the Permagrit sanders) and work very well. I have used the multi on every build since, including 1/4 scale stuff. The only problem is getting the replacement rolls over here.

Oh and sorry for leaping on this late....

Ive just had my Great Planes "Contour" Multi sander (cat. no GPMR6190) delivered from SMC. Cost for this was £9.99 . I've also bought several rolls of the "Easy touch adhesive backed sandpaper" in various grit sizes . Each roll was £8.99 and these are items that they stock.(They are not listed on their new website yet . So you may need to send them an email or call)

Thanks for the comments👍

A little more done tonight. 1/16 ply plates made and glued on and a sacrificial plate made so that I can drill the bolt holes using my pillar drill. Hopefully then, they should be straight and not split out the ply😁

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The next bit should be fun😂

Cheers

Mark

Hi Chris,

That was literally 1/2 an hours work today. I did the measuring and marking out before work this morning, took the wing to work to use the pillar drill there and fitted it up when I got home.

It just seems like a big step forward. Not much left now, I got started hinging up the ailerons tonight, but no photos. Once that is done and the bevels made on them I can get the wing covered. Looking forward to that.

Regards

Mark

• 7 months later...