Craig's first build Ballerina

Advert

I have flown with reversed rudder but not ailerons or elevator... yet!

I have however had quite a few instances where I've set up a model correctly at home and found ailerons reversed at the field before flying. Check your preflight before every flight! I make a point of checking correct direction first then free, full movement second.

A quick note on maidens Craig. Post flight checks are more important after the first maiden flight. Check everything is still tight and secure including the motor mounts and that the battery is still where you put it! That first flight can introduce vibrations and bumps you didn't get on the ground during testing.

Don't feel ashamed to let better pilot do the maiden either, Many times I've let my mate Paul maiden one of my models as he's a much more experienced pilot with better instincts. On most maidens he's stood with me to offer advice or even take the sticks of a misbehaving model.

From your build blog your Ballerina looks right and should fly exactly as Peter has described. If there was anything very wrong one of us followers would have pointed it out by now!

Good luck and enjoy the maiden. The Ballerina is a nice flyer. yes

Posted by Craig Thomas on 03/05/2016 21:47:02:

Thanks Lucas. I'm afraid I'm a none volentary member of the ailaron club. My membership began when I thought it would be a good idea to have a play with Flaparons on my Acro wot. 😋

The club has no volentary members that I am aware of. But many, includinng yours truly, were dragged in in a moment of negligence. I even made an honorary mention when, while talking to a buddy, putting the wings on an F3A trainer and -stil talking- taking off. Only then I became aware of a complete lack of aileron action. A slow roll ended in a small tree when i could find out none of the aileron leads where in their sockets......

Enough of this episode of "the confessional". Good luck with your maiden Craig. Most of them do actually go fine!

Lucas

I remember not too long ago - with a new model - asking a clubmate to check throws directions etc. We both became instantaneous member of the Aileron Club - at my expense. I still cant understand how we both got it wrong.

Say to yourself 100 times and practice it while you say it: Roll-right Right-Up

Martyn

Well, I've just returned from the field. It's had its maiden. First flight was a bit hairy. Once airborne it neededicated some ailaron trim. But at this point I found out that the trim switch was not working properly, then the engine cut out plus the wind was around 15mph which didn't help. But managed to bring her down safely. Messed about with the transmitter and managed to bodge the switch, and tried again. She flew lovely. Nice and solid in the air, although she didn't seem to like the gusts of wind. Only managed 3 flights as was having difficulty tuning the saito. Will send transmitter off to Horizon tomorrow to replace the trim switch and hopefully get a video of her flying. All in all I'm really pleased with myself. Thanks again to all you people who helped me through the build. Couldn't have done it without all the support and guidence. 👍✌✈✈✈ I've got some still pictures that big can post later on this evening and will add them to the finished ballerina thread.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys. Hope your all well, Ive got a bit of an issue and am looking for some advice.

A couple of weeks ago, Gravity finally won the age old battle. The Ballerina went in. Turns out one of those cheap Hobbyking batteries were to blame. A loose battery pin in the plug caused me to loose all control. I've finally got round to looking at the damage. The fuse is fine, just a bit of Epoxy will sort that. But the wing is another matter. My question is, should I repair the wing if it's at all possible or just build another. Only issue I have now is that now our new baby is here (3 months now) time is very hard to find as you can imagine. The wing has separated slightly at the leading edge and several ribs a are broke along with a spar or too. I'll add a couple of pics and await some much needed advice.

wing damage 1.jpg

That looks repairable and it will be easier than building a new wing. Models fly better when repaired too -- you don't worry about them so much so it's more enjoyable.

First thing to do is to inspect the spar - if it's not damaged then everything is much easier. If the spar is broken then it's a matter of deciding what to do. Give us some info on the spar and someone will give you some ideas on repair.

As for the broken ribs it may be easier to just put a new rib alongside - perhaps just a part rib up to the spar.

Balsa sheeting probably needs a new length let in with long 'scarfed' joints ( angled not butt joints). Maybe a tiny piece of sheeting underneath the join to reinforce. I suggest removing the ply wing bolt plate and starting the new piece from the centre joint.

Edited By kc on 30/09/2016 19:28:05

Looks repairabe.

Spars would need a double over the break. Ribs can be patched with pat ribs glued beside tyem or grafted in.

Trim the sheet back so that theyare not close to a rib, and at an angle. Glue a but strap to the inside of the sheet. so that half of it extends out nto the open. THis will give a surface to glue a patch to. and provide solid wood across the join.

I use wood about 1 " wide for the butt straps. so 1/2" under the original wood and 1/2" under each aise of the patch.

THis was the method for patching full size aircraft skins.

Replace the centre section sheet completely, it is easier.

Edited By Peter Miller on 30/09/2016 19:41:19

Thanks guys. It was such a shame as I really enjoyed flying the Ballerina. Next time I get a min I'll take another look at the wing, strip some more of the covering off and sheeting and see what's what. I'll keep you guys posted on what I despise. But if the wing is worth repairing then that's what I think I'll do. Will be a lot cheaper rather than buying a load more balsa and starting again. 👍🏻👍🏻👍