Craig's first build Ballerina

Today I've finished putting the plane together. The alloy spinner has turned up so all is complete. Finished work and thought I'd have a bash at balancing the plane. From what I can see from the plan and after measuring. The cg is 75mm back from the leading edge. Working as that as a starting point, it's gonna need around 50g of Lead under the read stab to get her balanced any where near? Does that sound about right? I've ran out of stick on lead so willoyd have to use a piece of roofing lead. Is it a bad idea to add the lead role the rudder? I'm thinking it probably is.

Advert

Hi Craig.

Well done! 2 ounces is not thing to worry about. She will not notice that little bit extra.

I would carefully lift a little of the bottom sheet under the tailplane and epoxy the lead to the fuselage side in there.

The lifted sheet and then be glued back and no one will see it under the fuselage.

It is what I do normally. My last time was on the new Super Marauder.

Thanks Peter. I just wish I had balanced other before covering her. I'm going to have to gut the covering and through the balsa roxanna get inside the fuse. That's another lesson learned during the build. I'm hoping for a maiden this week if the weather says calm. I'll keep you all updated. 👍

Well, to be honest, Craig...

I didn't had the impression to understand all of it properly... But then I thought it just was my latent English language ignorance...

So I'm glad you pointed it out as being slightly 'different'. All good then with me now... wink

I just hope your 'lead' positioning gets more effective than your 'auto-correct' though... angel

Plenty of luck with your CoG... yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Slang control

Posted by Craig Thomas on 29/04/2016 21:57:11:
My God. I've just read my last post. How did you make sense of it peter. There was that many typos it bearly made sense. Predictive txt has a lot to answer for. 😂😂😂

My typonese is just about as bad...and that is just my hurried typing and failing to check what I have written before submitting it.

Add to that I answered just before going off to bed so pretty tired

As t,he building work is finished I've spent the afternoon doing a bit of titivation on the ballerina. I've added a screen. I took a photo copy of the screen on the plan and folded it in half and cut it out. But proved unsuccessful as a screen as it wasn't really wide enough, so had to make one add hock. 2 small screws hold the edges down, then have ran canopy glue round the inside to sel the screen.

screen.jpg

dash.jpgThen I added the cockpit dash. I took a copy of Chris's photos and scaled it on the printer so it would fit. Then I cut a piece of balsa so it would fit, stuck the paper dash on with pritt-stick, stuck sellotape over the paper and stuck the whole thing into the cockpit. Looks OK for a first attempt I think.

I'm also in the middle of madding a head rest. But for this I've opted to have a bash at making it from carbon fiber. I bought a bit sheet of it as was gonna have a go at a carbon fiber cowl but bottled it. So I might as well have a go. Once the resin is dry I'll post a picture. If all else fails I'll use leather the same as the side pads. 👍😋

Thanks Andy. I used paper as a template. Turned out well I think. Will have to see what the side padding turns out like? I see Chris Barlows goes all the way round on the cockpit. Will see what it's like once painted. I had to fit a remote glow lead aswell yesterday. Of all the things I didn't check, I couldn't get the glow heater onto the put due to the angle of the head. So it was a case of un plumb the tank again and fit one. All plumbed back in again now, just need to paint the padding and she's ready for her maiden tomorrow weather permitting. 👍😬🛫🛫🛫✈️✈️✈️🛩🛩🛩

carbon2.jpgcarbon.jpgMy first ever attempt at using carbon fiber. Not particularly successful I fear but never the less., it has made its way into the ballerina. Really glad I didn't attempt a cowl, it would have been a disaster. The battery's are on charge ready for a maiden tomorrow. If I'm honest, I'm a little nervous. I've only ever maidened one plane before, I usually get a more experienced pilot to have a go first wish me luck guys, it have been a little over 4 months work and many ££££,s to get to this stage. It could be all over in a matter of 😩😩😩

Asking an experienced pilot to do the first flight is nothing to be ashamed of Craig. You can film the flight yourself then and do the next flight yourself knowing that the model is trimmed and fine.

Including someone else on the pre-flight check before the maiden is just good practice. Including.... the direction of all surface deflections. The "aileron club" has many members, including quite a few that do not want to admit it.

Good luck, Lucas