Baby Ballerina

That's some machinery you've got there for a model plane John! surprise

Nice dimension saw and is that a Wadkin planer/thicknesser???

The square block is for a spindle molder, or could be from a for/six sided molder. Nasty things if not respected and had a reputation for taking fingers off whole in one go! BTW it also looks like you have the collets for a wobble saw weighing you sides down too!

Hi Chris.

The weights were odds and sods accumulated over years from an old school workshop and were in a scrap box to be thrown out.

I had no idea what the cylindrical wedges were but now I know. You know your machine stuff yes

The planer is a classic 16" Sedgwick MB model. I've also got access to a nice Felder spindle moulder which I'll use to make the leading and trailing edge stock, overkill but fun

Regards

John

Posted by John Milne on 30/01/2016 23:49:08:

Hi Chris.

Possibly but I'm not sure what a square block cutter is, could it be a type of spindle moulder tool ?

I'll definitely try the alternating 45 degree grain formers next time as it seems logical to me as it introduces the triangle aspect.

I'd be curious to see what Peter's thoughts are on this. Hope you don't mind me dragging you into this Peter

John

Don't know about 45 degree grain. does not seem to solve anything.

If I want to stiffen formers I just glue two strips of 1/8" X 3/8" across the back of the former.

Posted by John Milne on 30/01/2016 22:28:47:

It's funny, every time I tried to decide which was the correct orientation for the former grain I could convince myself both ways were correct. So I've come to the conclusion that next time I'll cut with a 45 degree grain alternating left to right on successive corners, seems logical to me 😁

Fuz taking shape. I left off the fuselage doubler as I've no thin ply in stock so I'll go easy on the lomcevacs !!!

John

Probably with small electric power you will nlt need a doubler anyway,not even for a .10 engine although a balsa doubler would be good in the latter case.

Weights looking good AndyD, not quite indoor stuff but hopefully good in a 5/6 mph..

Needed to find a former to shape the front turtle deck prior to fitting, miraculously I found an Old Peculiar which had just the right radius, I had to empty the contents before I could safely use it devil.

img_20160131_223313.jpg

I know I would be if it was my design BBC..

Thanks go to the mightypeesh for this idea, I used to hate doing them but I've never had so much fun doing ribs since last summers maple and chilli barbecued ones.

A little spare time this lunchtime I made up a jig on a table router and glued on the abrasive paper. The whole jig is machined from a single block which keeps the raised profiles parallel.

The only real variation from MPs version was that I found I could place the master rib into the jig with the slotted blank then lift them out together, place on the cutting board and scalpel round the master.

20 ribs done in an hour. ( apart from the hour and a half making the jig) but they are the best ribs I've ever made.

Hope the pictures make sense.

Regards

John

img_20160202_190248.jpg

img_20160202_190319.jpg

img_20160202_192526.jpg

img_20160202_201944.jpg

img_20160202_202009.jpg

Edited By John Milne on 02/02/2016 20:56:40

But I bet your models fly better than my jigs wink.

Ribs all done just need to cut the ends off for the flaps and ailerons.

Last picture is the tail feathers faring. Usual method involved tack gluing some pieces the same size as the stabilisers together with the fairings themselves. It's all been sanded ready for separation.

img_20160202_214143.jpg

img_20160202_214114.jpg

To keep the outline of the nose as close as possible to the plan I've reduced the first former in width to negate using as much balsa block to get a nice profile.

Top decking which forms the cockpit edge pinned in place.

Now, there is no rational reason for the last picture other than I enjoy removing redundant material and any weight saved can be added as detail to the airframe later.

Apologies. Pics are in reverse order.

img_20160203_220938.jpg

img_20160203_221001.jpg

img_20160203_221028.jpg

e

Edited By John Milne on 03/02/2016 22:36:38

Thanks AVC. (if I took a picky tonight the true horror would be revealed)

I'm loving building this lovely design, it's pretty much my perfect powered aircraft shape, era, style along with things like the Turbulent, Fly Baby et al.

The Shed/Workshop is approaching 18 months old and I'm getting close to be able to lay my hand on most things fairly quickly now. Things are slowly falling into a natural order but there are times when I know I have for example a prop reamer, but can I find it angry. it seems to take four or five cycles of "where is it ?" "search, search, search", "find it", "put it back again" before I develop a mental index of where everything is smiley

Regards

John

Sounds like your bench is due a spring clean Peter. Dare you give us a picture of it ?