Baby Ballerina

I'll be doing a smaller version to give a cute little OS10 FSR a home.

But I need to finish this first, it's an Airfix 1/48 scale Merlin with a removable side to show the interior.

p1060854.jpg

p1060968.jpg

Back on topic.

A thoughtful colleague at work gave me a box of balsa that his Dad was throwing out so I won't need to buy any.

p1060967.jpg

Powered with this little baby I'm aiming for a span of 36 to 40"

p1060966.jpg

I've searched around and a span of 40" seems OK for the OS but any advice on what people think is the optimum span would be appreciated,

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've now cleared the decks ready for having a go at the Ballerina. Although technically off topic here's my excuse for not starting earlier.

It's an Airfix 1/48th Merlin with some mods to show the interior with folded rotors and working folding tail.

Regards

John

m1.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m6.jpg

m8.jpg

m7.jpg

Now, temporarily, cured of my plastic addiction I've started.

Somewhere down the process I've made an error whilst reducing the plans so I now have a 38" rendition instead of the planned 36" but no worries.

I'm also rethinking the power source as I want to add a dummy boxer engine for a bit of extra character so will probably go electric.

Here's where I am now.

img_20160125_172645.jpg

Cheers

John

Thanks for your comments on the Airfix project guys yes

Peter, I'd love a working twin but my bank balance tells me otherwise.

The dummy engine idea was inspired by your article on the radial one you built so I'll be copying some of your ideas.

Regards

John

This ones evolving as I go along.

I'm trying to use stuff I've got in stock so have decided to make it with a full depth cockpit and two piece wing.

Formers all cut and a rough sketch of the fuselage mounted undercarriage.

Wing joiners are carbon tubes from an old long since dead shockie.

It will also have flaps that continue under the fuselage.

Regards John

img_20160128_195817.jpg

img_20160128_195713.jpg

img_20160128_195730.jpg

Making progress.

img_20160130_163042.jpg

Trying to keep the structure on the lighter side as I'm conscious Its only got little wings.

img_20160130_151851.jpg

As I'm building it only with materials in stock I've had to splice the fuselage sides. You can also see the cutout for the flaps that will recess into the fuselage bottom.

img_20160130_152748.jpg

I think Ive made a mistake with some of the formers by having the grain running verically but I'll leave as is. Method I use for cleaning up the lightning holes, some fairly stiff abrasive paper coiled up and rotated in the hole.

I'll leave the wing joiner holes till after fuselage completion in order to get good alignment.

Regards

John

Edited By John Milne on 30/01/2016 16:58:21

It's funny, every time I tried to decide which was the correct orientation for the former grain I could convince myself both ways were correct. So I've come to the conclusion that next time I'll cut with a 45 degree grain alternating left to right on successive corners, seems logical to me 😁

Fuz taking shape. I left off the fuselage doubler as I've no thin ply in stock so I'll go easy on the lomcevacs !!!

John

Do I see a cutter for a square block on there?

I too could understand the grain running in both directions and although never done it before decided to try sideways to see if there are any benefits. I may try it again on a slope soarer as the fuselage sometimes gets crushed when gripping it against the wind!

Hi Chris.

Possibly but I'm not sure what a square block cutter is, could it be a type of spindle moulder tool ?

I'll definitely try the alternating 45 degree grain formers next time as it seems logical to me as it introduces the triangle aspect.

I'd be curious to see what Peter's thoughts are on this. Hope you don't mind me dragging you into this Peter

John

I lost my balsa stripping tool so had to resort to this to get the wing spars and strip wood.

20160129_141319-1.jpg

As mentioned before I was gifted some nice assorted balsa blocks so promising myself only to use materials in stock I used this for my sheeting.

20160129_142321-1.jpg

Regards

John

Edited By John Milne on 31/01/2016 00:14:04