Baby Ballerina

Posted by John Milne on 11/02/2016 11:38:12:
Great picture Peter. What model is it ?

As an aside do you know what difference there is in effect between flaps externally hinge that create a big gap and sealed hinges with no gap at all.

Regards John

The model is the Aerolab USA LOcamp. An Italian desinged kit plane that is being manufactured in the USA

Slotted flaps produce more lift and less drag, The slot guides the air flow over the flap and helps prevent it graking away from the top surface.

Slotted ailerons work in the same way which means that they work well at lower speeds.

I expect some aerodynmic expert will pull this to pieces but that is what I was taught.

Having trouble posting pictures. After I've selected my files and started the upload it just hangs there forever, both from a tablet and also my phone. Nothings changed, the photos are JPG and the same as all my others Is it me. I did wonder if there was a storage limit maybe but I get no warning or error messages.

John

Thanks Chris. It was odd because some sites worked but very slowly, others not at all and some OK. I don't know why but by switching off the router and back on again its fixed.

So, engine mount done and motor selected, I'll use an Overlander Thumper 2836/08 on 3 cells.

Version 1 motor mount.

img_20160211_193722.jpg

Version 2

img_20160211_193703.jpg

Thrust lines are exactly as per plan.

img_20160211_203719.jpg

Getting to the fine tuning aspects.

I didn't have s spinner in stock so have resorted to a blunt front end so I utilised some mesh left over from my Dawn Flyer build.

I made a lamination of balsa, mesh and ply. The mesh is car body aluminium repair mesh from Halfords.

img_20160213_161321.jpg

To aid motor/speed controller cooling I've added an Me 109 air inlet.

img_20160213_191605.jpg

I think I'll thin down the intake a bit to make it more scale.

img_20160213_204252.jpg

This is the notch in the fuselage to accept the flaps. Guess where the poor little thing will break its back when I mistreat it.

img_20160213_142603.jpg

Edited By John Milne on 13/02/2016 21:33:48

Don't know how efficient they are John but they were cheap, look nice, in stock and flew the Dawn Flyer OK.

Well spotted Chris, landings are usually OK it what happens in the air would be the worry.

Much of this build has been fairly fluid AndyD, as Peter has done the hard work coming up with a lovely structure/shape to play with.

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 13/02/2016 21:38:06:

Nice looking prop, they any good ?

John

I tested, for another plane, the 13x8 in that series. It drew as much current as an APC 14x10E, but ran at 500 rpm less at full throttle. Much less thrust also.

So my verdict is not good for flying, but nice looking on the ground.

I did cheat and drove up there.

I have a kit, sort of

Whilst I have no target weight in mind the airframe as seen is 329 gramms.

img_20160214_211731.jpg

Rear fairings put on a diet.

img_20160214_211055.jpg

Woodwork pretty much done now, I'll have a go at its legs tomorrow.

For a light filler I mix balsa dust, wood glue and a little water. Resuse recycle etc

img_20160214_210049.jpg

img_20160214_210458.jpg

img_20160214_210845.jpg