Something to get my teeth into

Mattb5m

Advert

Hi Matt, You have been advised to get down to your club, and unfotunately, it is wintertime, and your patience is running out. Non of us wants you chasing your dreams going down the expensive aquisistion of unsuitable gear road.

Don't buy anything else until you get down to your club,

Engine manufacturers recommend their preference for nitro and oil. There are standard fuels that you can buy, but you must see at £20 per gallon, you can soon aquire a choice limiting amount of expensive fuel.

An ARTF, model, Almost Ready To Fly trainer, a Boomerang in this case, will cost you £69, and has all your bits in the box. Often, nothing else to buy, but is built to an acceptable quality, and fly's well, but

A good KIT has an enormous amount of satisfaction in the build inside the box, but seldom has the bits to complete the flying model. You have the choice then to get all the bits at a quality of your own choice, which is no bad thing. The whole kit then is higher cost, but you chose the quality and build yourself, usually higher quality

I hope this is fair comment

Dennis I'm just asking questions more for gaining knowledge when the time comes . I'm going to be slowly building a super 60 to keep myself occupied which would be my 2nd plane and get a cheaper rtf while building as I will be taking my time and gives me something to do in spare time during rubbish weather . I know a few has advised me to buy a artf to begin which I taken on board but no point buying until met with local club , until then I just want a project to start building . Otherwise might have to start build rubber band powered ones wink

Ah I see will be in the info you get with an engine .

Cheers , matt

Edited By Mattb5m on 26/01/2016 11:09:58

Hi Matt,

in absolutely no way would I want to discourage you from asking questions - its a big part of why we are here. But I would like to suggest that sometimes - on the more basic and general questions - you could help yourself a lot, and find the information you want quicker and more comprehensively if you made more use of the resources on the forum.

This forum is HUGE! There are now many thousands of threads containing over 1 million posts. It represents a vast database of accumulated knowledge and wisdom. The answer to many of the questions you are asking have been given numerous times before on here and discussed in far greater depth and detail than can be done here. What is more important you can find all this information really easily!

A good place to start is to look through the appropriate sections of the forum - like the Beginners section (over 1600 threads!), the IC Engines section (over 1900 threads), the Hints and Tips section (over 550 threads),The various Radio Gear sections (all together over 2000 threads covering all makes) and finally the Building from Traditional Kits and Plans section (2000 threads).

I am not suggesting you read all these - but by using the search engine at the top of the page within these sections you will find not just one answer, but usually whole detailled discussions and analyses on just about every question you have asked. If you do a bit of research in these sections you will learn a lot more, a lot quicker, than you will by just asking a question here and getting one or two answers from those who happen to spot your question on that day!

The truth is that the Forum is much much more than just a 'chat room' - its a library, a resource of knowledge - all you have to do it drive it.

As I say this is not intended to discourage you from asking - its a genuine attempt by someone who knows his way around this place fairly well to show you (and others) how you could get so much more out of it!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/01/2016 16:38:01

I understand what you are saying beb, I have tried using search bar at the top of the page and have found does not allways bring up what you are searching for . Is it quite sensitive with key words ?

Example if searching for " what engine to use in a super 60 ?" I have searched for this and came up with nothing , but just put in " super 60 "'and found 4 threads . I would of thought would of been more on the super 60 from the impression I get it is quite a popular model .

Am I doing something wrong ?

Matt

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 26/01/2016 16:51:59:

No, matt, the search facility isn't particularly helpful as it only scans the thread titles, so it's often better to put in just one keyword and browse the results.

Having said that, I've just put in "super 60" (no quotes) and it returns 18 threads. That's good for a starter...wink 2

Pete

I've just done the same search using the exact search string "Super 60". I also got 18 threads.

What is more two them deal specifically with your question regarding engines. This one and this one.

Two other threads, this one and this one, discuss electrifying the Super 60 and in doing so adress power requirements and so contain information, indirectly at least, answering your question.

Finally, several of the eremaining 14 threads give information on what engine has been used even if it is not the main topic of the thread itself.

I think that body of knowledge more than answers your question.

Now, before we go on to any further questions can I suggest you re-try that search and confirm that you can find those threads? Because if you have a search problem - we need to solve it - then you can find the information you want.

BEB