Something to get my teeth into

Mattb5m

Advert

Exactly my point John , just get the basics and a few extra that will help like a razor plane and building jig etc and the rest will buy as need it . For while in house will just store tools in a plastic storage box or may push boat out to a new plastic tool box !

Posted by Mattb5m on 22/01/2016 11:42:55:

Was going to start out with electric but would like to go to i/c , it's the sound and smell that does it for me . Also I'm quite used to 2 stroke petrol engines as I'm a horticultural technician. Often engines get rebuilt or cone in with faults . I would imagine that knowledge would be in my favour ??

Matt

Edited By Mattb5m on 22/01/2016 12:08:05

I had a BB Super Sixty many years ago, super model, used it to teach other to fly as well. I re-engined mine several times, Mk1 OS40FS, PAW 35 diesel, OS25 FSR, Irvine 25 Blackhead, it flew well on them all, but my favourite was th OS40 fourstroke, just seemed to be in tune with the model.

That just gave me a thought , how does a rc plane 4stroke engine work to a typical single cylinder 4 stroke ? Guessing it does not have a wet sump ? Does it still run on nitro fuel or plain unleaded ?

There are 2 stroke engines in horticultural equipment that has valves in just to confuse us . They still run on a 2stroke mix but go through the 4 stroke cycle , surpossed to be more eco friendly regarding emissions .

Matt

Posted by Mattb5m on 25/01/2016 09:22:04:

What's the advantages of using t pins rather than normal map type plotting pins ?

Can anyone explain how you use a build jig to build the fuselage straight and true ?

Thanks

Map pins have a thicker steel pin and are a bit thick for putting through wood. I find they are ideal - along with the big plastic head used on the outside of spars etc to hold them in line.

My Ballerina 155 build blog shows how a jig is used to keep a fuselage straight. The SLEC jig is quite cheap although the jig sides are a little bit flexible. You dont need a jig, but it helps.

Hi Matt, it's great to see you starting in exactly the right way, and getting so much great advice.Just sticking my oar in on the tools front. One of the tools I use most is a cheap vernier guage. Fantastically useful bit of equipment for internal measurements of cross members etc.

Also I custom make virtually all my own sanding blocks to size and profile. mainly using 1/2" bals sheet. Just make the block and glue on fine glasspaper with 3M spray mount. You can do this for slotting ribs too, just glue glasspaper to some scrap spar material, trim it to size and use it like a file for a perfect fit.

What area are you from by the way?

Posted by Mattb5m on 25/01/2016 10:20:04:

That just gave me a thought , how does a rc plane 4stroke engine work to a typical single cylinder 4 stroke ? Guessing it does not have a wet sump ? Does it still run on nitro fuel or plain unleaded ?

There are 2 stroke engines in horticultural equipment that has valves in just to confuse us . They still run on a 2stroke mix but go through the 4 stroke cycle , surpossed to be more eco friendly regarding emissions .

Matt

It uses Nitro fuel, the oil gets blown by the piston and lubricates the bottom end, like a total loss system, might not sound great but it's worked fine for over 40 year and 4 strokes usually recommend a slightly lower oil content in the fuel.

Vices. That old Record will be very handy - install it in a bench if it's a woodworkers one or on top if it's an engineers vice. ( don't get rid of it -they are unbelievably expensive now )

In my view only inset type woodworkers vices are worthwhile but clamp on type woodworkers vices are useless. Clamp on engineers vices might be OK for light and fiddly work.

For indoor working a small drilling machine vice ( cast iron type ) might be as just as useful as the clamp on type. Can be just placed ontop of the bench for some work and also useful on a drilling machine.

For light sawing indoors make a simple bench hook to the traditional carpenters design. Also make a traditional fretsaw 'V' if you intend to use a hand fretsaw or coping saw etc. This can be made to clamp to a table or a slightly different type can be held in a vice or WorkMate as in this photo.

Fretsawing

Darren I have a set of vernier calipers my redundant analog Moore and Wright ones from work ... Gone digital now .

Frank , still exactly how a 2 stroke lubricates , so for a 4 stroke less oil content in fuel , can you get s .35 4 stroke engine ?

While looking at engines does the .35 regard to the horsepower?

Matt

Posted by Mattb5m on 25/01/2016 12:37:38:

Frank , still exactly how a 2 stroke lubricates , so for a 4 stroke less oil content in fuel , can you get s .35 4 stroke engine ?

While looking at engines does the .35 regard to the horsepower?

Matt

Not quite, a 2 stroke model engine draws the fuel air mixture in via the crankcase and hence the bearings are all lubricated this way, on a 4 stroke the fuel air mix is drawn directly into the cylinder and it's only the oil that gets past the piston rings that can find it's way to lubricate the big end and drive shaft bearings.

Never seen a .35 fourstroke, but you can get .30 and .40 fourstrokes, a .40 is about the same power as a .25 two stroke, but because it is more torquey it will turn a bigger prop, at a lower speed, which is what makes them a good choice for slower flying models

Yep, that would work well in a Super Sixty and sound great, the only disadvantage is that it's twice the cost of an equivalent 2 stroke and being in a trainer you will at some point have an arrival, 19 times out of twenty the engine will be unscathed but maybe a cheap 2 stoke would be less hurtful on the wallet to begin with, you can easily re-engine the Super Sixty later.

Ahhhh yes , nose down into the ground on landing !

Was browsing and found some plans for another plane and was wondering does the Ben buckle super 60 come with detailed plans for a beginer regarding what parts to put in before fully assembling the fuselage like the servos, linkages , where to route cables and same for airlerons servo and linkage, hinges etc . Does the kit come with bits like fuel tank , fuel line , hinges , servo linkage etc ?

The plan I saw was a drawing and not too much detail about fitting out and the build detail seemed basic .

Last thing I want to be a duck out of water ! Hope as I go along I will do a build thread so others can see my progress and for myself others to guide me as I'm sure il get stuck in places or not understand the drawing .

Matt

Matt, it says it comes with a full hardware pack, so should have all the control horns, hinges, fuel tank etc (but maybe not the fuel tube). It also comes with an instruction book but I'm not sure how detailed that will be, but regardless the Super 60 is pretty easy to fit out.

You wanted something to get your teeth into and I think you'll enjoy building a Super 60. Any issues just ask on here.