Something to get my teeth into

Mattb5m

Matt, you are quite rightly very keen to get ready to fly, but the seasonal weather is slow to clear at the moment. Just be patient now, you have a good amount of kit, but you are at the stage you need to see the models being operated. You need to see both electric and IC in operation, and all that the ground crew do to get the model airbourne safely. You cannot second guess now your future requirements until you see where your passion falls as each of the disciplines will take you along a seperate requirements path. Many of us fly both types of model, electric and IC, but there a huge pitfalls in buying haphazardly. If you buy now anymore kit, you can easily spend a fortune on little used items.

Read all you can, and enjoy your time looking at what you beleive you would enjoy flying.

Be patient, for your next step, going down to the field, where the boys can answer you directly, and demonstrate the items.

Advert

You dont need all those power tools to start with! They are nice to have's not a must have, without them things will take longer but still very do-able, dont forget people were building planes on the kitchen table with almost no tools 50 years ago!

Build up you tool kit slowly.... but good quality tools, cheap tools are almost a total waste of time

I completely appreciate what people are saying about not to jump the gun which I'm taking on board . I am only looking into building a balsa kit so in spare time I can sit and build the main frame slowly and not kit out with bits until know a more , I really enjoy model building and prefer working with wood . I'm not a type to sit in front tv or play computer games . I am using them sim at the moment . I most likely will have a rtf or artf trainer to start with while building this kit . I'm in no rush as will be moving house in 3-4 months . I will be working from a bench in a spare room in the house so will not have a massive workspace but next place will have a garage too .

Matt

Posted by Mattb5m on 21/01/2016 19:32:27:

Lots of my tools will come in handy ... Cordless , cord drills , drill press , bandsaw , scroll saw and carpentry hand tools , or will the bigger type of electric tools not be needed ? At storage at my dads . Guess bench press and bandsaw a bit ott ?

Matt

Supposedly seen in the instructions for a newcomer's model, "Beginners should be able to build this model with a steel straight edge and a broken razor blade. More experienced builders will require a fully equipped workshop."

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/01/2016 21:17:15

Thanks John ,

end of day im not going to kit this model out if i dont have a clue what im doing before consulting others , The main part of this hobby that lured me is the actual building and the flying is a bonus seeing the model you have spent hours building and i bets when you see your 1st model fly well is very rewarding !

As you said nothing i come up is a big deal as there are always ways around problems , where when i come across one i will ask for advice on here .

Would it be useful for me to do a build progress to be pointed in right direction ?

John , i have looked at some of your build blogs and looked at the mass build on here and some really good techniques . cant remember how i build the fuselage as seen you guys using building jigs , they look really useful !

there will be lots of small tools will need to buy as i go along like clamps etc . Can see i will be kept busy for many months .... great !

!st things 1st i will need to build myself a workbench , question is sat down or stood up ? i stand up all day at work and i know if not correct height your back will ache and its a pain when detail jobs .

Matt

Matt, I used to build small models when on my travels abroad. There is very little you need in the way of tools in this great hobby. Cutting matt, knife with a retractable blade, steel rule, set square, permagrit sanding block, coping saw, masking tape, rubber bands, a couple of small clamps and some glue. That was my list of essentials at any rate. I should also mention some wood of course, suitably cut down to fit my suitcase! I didn't use pins but masking tape to hold the parts onto the plan. I used the electric iron in the hotel room for the heat shrink covering, although I did take a small tin of thinners to clean it after!

Why don't you find a club that is operating during the winter months so that you can get a feel for what you prefer, IC or electric. You don't necessarily need to join the club for now, just take a look at what they fly, hopefully they will be a friendly bunch. Once decided you can then crack on with your build during the foul winter weather.

Good model choice by the wayyes. It is like the monsoon down here in darkest Sussex today disgust

Thanks piers . Just need to get myself a cutting matt and some clamps , that building jig looks useful! What's the best glue to use ? Does wood glue warp thin sections of balsa with its water content ?

Regarding clubs I will phone another couple but there are not many in my area . Found 2 but only small clubs and wasn't too keen on teaching .

Matt

Matt, the main glue that you'll use would be PVA glue, you can buy it either from modelling sources or DIY stores. There's also aliphatic resin, which is PVA based.  They are waterbased but, to be fair, when you're gluing you're either pinning the item down or holding with clamps so there won't be any warping other than the warping you build in yourself wink.

You can use cyano (superglue) for repairs or tiny bits.

Then, lastly, epoxy resin for ply to ply or plastic / metal to wood or high stress areas. Two part glues such as "Araldyte" although model shops will have larger quantities stocked and be cheaper.

Everyone has a preference and you'll find your own way somewhere in the middle.

I prefer to use SLEC for my stuff, woods, glues, bits n bobs etc : http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Delux_Glues.html

Edited By John F on 22/01/2016 10:41:43

Matt, I think it depends on what you are glueing and where to some extent. Personal preference plays an important part too. I use Cyano Acrylate (CA) glue for most of the balsa to balsa joints, with kicker (accelerator ) if I am in a hurry. It doesn't sand well and I expect you know but you can become sensitised to it over time with unpleasant side effects. Always make sure you have plenty of ventilation with CA glue.

I use epoxy on spruce (spars) or beech (engine bearers) to balsa joints. The slower setting is stronger so I tend not to use five minute epoxy. A lot of people use PVA which is water based as you know. I haven't noticed it warping thin balsa particularly but I expect it could. I tend not to use it anymore as it really needs to set overnight (i'm impatient) but it is very strong if a bit heavy. It doesn't sand that well if I remember rightly.

Aliphatic and Superphatic (runny aliphatic) is very popular and sands well too so is ideal for wing sheeting and the like. Longer drying time than CA but quicker than PVA and very strong joints. Finally I use CA for RTF EPO models but do check that your CA does not attack your foam model first. UHU Por is an alternative and is like a contact adhesive, good for depron too. Don't use Epoxy on EPO models as it doesn't make a good bond due to its 'greasy' surface finish. Somebody will probably contradict me here!

I thought the building jig looked useful too so I bought one at one of the shows last year. My New Years resolution is to put it together before I build the next model!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/01/2016 10:47:54

Matt, if you state your approximate location then no doubt someone on here will suggest a club to visit. You will gain far more from visiting a club and seeing the models. Most clubs fly year round - my club was flying on Sat,Sun,Tues,Wed & Thursday this week.

If you see both electric flying and i.c flying you will probably decide immediately which is for you. Eventually you may try both as most of us do. One deciding factor may be flying times - many clubs have longer flying times for electric.

I'm from Swindon and contacted the Swindon aero club which in royal wotton Bassett and there field is under water at the moment and waiting for them to contact me . 

Was going to start out with electric but would like to go to i/c , it's the sound and smell that does it for me . Also I'm quite used to 2 stroke petrol engines as I'm a horticultural technician. Often engines get rebuilt or cone in with faults . I would imagine that knowledge would be in my favour ??

Matt

Edited By Mattb5m on 22/01/2016 12:08:05

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/mattread86/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/7D79426F-3338-4AD0-BC3E-BE89594F4154_zps80459wm0.jpg

Sorted myself out with a work table , I have gone for the sitting down approach as I'm on my feet all day long so rather take it easy while pining gluing etc .

Think the chair a bit odd compared to the ex army tressle table and it's heavy lump !

What's best thing for a build board ? Got a peice of 12mm ply backed with felt which used for modelling on dining table , would that be ok to pin to ?

Edited for language...

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/01/2016 12:45:14

Thanks John , I was thinking some ply with cork boned to it would of done , think il knock up my own build jig . Sure that table strong enough . Need to invest in a small vice . Any recomdations? Cheap ones I guess not much cop ? I have got one but it's a old 1950/60's record and it's a monster... Tad too big for in house !

Thanks John ,

Need to make a list of some tools and bits il need .So far I have got ...

Engineers set square , small Spring clamps , woodworking ratchet clamps , coping saw / razor saw , sanding block , various permagrit sanding blocks , steel rule , razor plane , selection of screwdrivers and pliers , a bench hook , cutting mat , retractable Stanley knife , pva glue , pins ,rubber bands and a building jig .

Anything I have missed off the list ? I know some tools may be not considered basic but I bet makes life easier ...

It there any type of sealer used for around fuselage where fuel tank sits and does the tank sit in a type of padding / cushion to stop cavitation?