dish washer help

Ernie

Hi all, Can anyone help re. a wee plumbing problem.

Our dishwasher leaks at the drain.

The flexible drain drops loosly into an open topped plastic pipe, with what seems to be a trap at the bottom. This in turn connects to the drains from the sinks. When the waste is pumped out, the plastic pipe overflows. I'm pretty sure that there are no blockages, so whats stopping a free flow, and flooding SWIMBOS lovely kitchen

erniy

Advert

Has it always backed up ? Is there sufficient fall in the drain ? Our dishwasher and washing machine use separate standpipes that feed into a common drain pipe .Never had a problem. Try pushing a drain cleaning rod down pipe. It's amazing how bacteria con grow or grease settle had and block pipes overtime.

Hi Ernie.

By the sounds of it you do have a blockages some where. When you fill the sink and let the water go does it go fast or slowly, if this is slowly then you have some blockage after the water trap of the dishwasher. If not then it sounds like the water trap has a small blockage and when the water comes from the machine it just backs up, the other thing is the pipe that the flex goes into is this tall enough or big enough to take the amount of water. If it has worked in the past then something has is blocking it. Do try the sink idea first as we all send muck down the sink hole and this does build up over time I should now it's happened at our house.

Let me know how it goes I might be able to give you other ideas.

Cheers Alan

The waste from the dishwasher is pumped out at a higher pressure then the waste pipe can accommodate and as the engine doctor suggests the may be a partial blockage, if possible unscrew and remove the trap to check it's clear, if it's always overflowed it may be best to change the layout to incorporate a pipe end that the waste from the dishwasher is pushed on and is sealed that w a y there is no back pressure

Yes, more than likely an accumulation of grease - not surprising with a dishwasher.. A solution of sodium hydroxide (not sure if you can still buy it these days with 'elf 'n' safety) or Mr Muscle sink unblocker left overnight will usually shift it. Used to regularly have to sort a similar situation out for a customer's tearoom as a favour when I was a maintenance engineer. You might have to take the trap etc apart if the cleaning stuff doesn't work

I think that dishwashers now are connected straight into a union on the trap rather than use an open topped pipe. ( or am I wrong? )    A special trap is sold to take both washing m/c and dishwasher pipes.

Maybe modern dishwashers are made for this and have higher pressures at the waste?

Edited By kc on 23/03/2016 10:15:30

A sequence to follow when unblocking waste pipes here, Ernie. If your system was installed by a French plumber I imagine you're stuck with a lack of adequate fall....smile

A dessertspoonful of coffee grounds down the sink from time to time is recommended too - it helps to keep the grease on the move, allegedly. Useful stuff, coffee grounds....wink 2

Pete

ps If you resort to the sodium hydroxide deboucheur sold in most outlets, make sure you dissolve it in cold water first - I poured the powder down the sink, then ran some water. The darn stuff got very hot indeed and set in the U-bend......smile oteeth 2

Hi Guys, thanks for all that. I have checked for blockages. It all seems to be flowing well, except for the dishwasher bit. I'll check it all out again. Maybe I've missed something

I've got a big wing to sort out right now.....Much more fun.

ernie

Posted by Ernie on 23/03/2016 11:59:47:

Hi Guys, thanks for all that. I have checked for blockages. It all seems to be flowing well, except for the dishwasher bit. I'll check it all out again. Maybe I've missed something

I've got a big wing to sort out right now.....Much more fun.

ernie

Ernie Ernie you won't get brownie points get it fixed 😇

Posted by Donald Fry on 23/03/2016 18:39:00:

Reckless behaviour then, with mine I would require absolutely sure.

And, if you wish to bathe in acids, your career choice, but mess with caustic soda, (NaOH, sodium hydroxide), just bear in mind, it will turn your eyeballs to soap if mishandled.

I like to live dangerously and re-enacting that shower scene from Physco is on my bucket list.....

Careful, Barry, Foreign languages can attract a mods wrath..The mind boggles at what a fosse septique could be. But, no...On reflection, it must be a blockage, albeit a partial one, so I've poured some deadly crud eating chemical down, and modified the system a bit.

But thanks again all, great stuff Back to the keil kraft falcon

ernie