Formula 1 new Sky Exclusive Paywall Deal

Bravo Delta

I see from 2019 Sky will have exclusive rights to F1

James Allen makes some interesting observations on his website

One of the standout observations is the price an F1 fan will need to pay to see coverage in the UK according to him

For me this kills my interest , just like the Ryder Cup Exclusive deal did that in for me - lost all interest in what was a great tournament .

So goodbye F1 , its been a long relationship

Advert

I agree that if you only want to watch F1 and nothing else then yes it does work out expensive.

If you also watch other sports like cricket, golf, football then it really isn't that bad.

Added to the fact that in my opinion the team presenting Sky's coverage is way way better than anything that has been on terrestrial tv for many years then it is worth it.

Martin Brundle's input and expertise is worth the subscription on his own!

The F1 organisation has proved time and again over the years that they have nothing but contempt for the grass-roots fan, so this has disappointed but not surprised me.

The sponsors pay a lot of money to get their advertising seen by the masses. When the number of viewers is reduced to just a tiny percentage of the existing numbers, they might realise that they're not getting such a good deal. Perhaps a few million of us should let the sponsors know that their customer base will evaporate in 2019?

I don't hold out any hope of getting this reversed, though - it's happened to football, cricket, golf and MotoGP, to mention a few - and business is business, unfortunately.

Like others above, I'm not a great sport watcher - F1, cycling, Six Nations (and MotoGP highlights on ITV4) is about it. Sky isn't an option for me either - not that I'd pay the extortionate amount they demand anyway....

Pete

Dont watch any sport and I do mean non at all. Or any of the other dross that they pad out the schedual with. Any sport I was interested in I did; parachuting, hang gliding, white water rafting, yatching and flying light aircraft. 'The night manager' is the only prog I watch and a little of the so called news. A total non event as far as I am concerned.

Posted by john stones 1 on 25/03/2016 00:01:51:
Posted by iqon on 24/03/2016 23:55:19:

Dont do Sky .......f1 goodbye.....crying

Do you think it could have a detrimental effect on your Badger/Friends league scores Iqon ? cheeky

No. Just bad luck....

Sadly I am joining a growing list of disgruntled fans.

be interesting when pay tv starts struggling like Fox and Austar in Australia. Oz is just a pittance of the market, but will a Grand Prix be viable if there are dwindling fan numbers? Melbourne Grand Prix was subsidised by government or should that be taxpayers for the "what you need to know number" of $20million dollars, probably a lot more.

Sky needed to do something, BT have made big inroads on their monopoly of the Premier league (the EU told the Premier League they couldn't sell all matches in one bid) so they need to get some exclusivity on something to keep the subscriber numbers up.

F1 highlights are good enough for me though, the full race is a bit like paint drying, wish Superbikes and Moto GP were on terrestrial TV though, yes bring back Superbikes and Touring cars.

Ole Bernie has been saying that there seems to be less interest in F1 these days and new thinking is required to generate a revival. Is Sky the way to do this?  I think not.  Sky et al are grabbing all of the main sports.The next step with these people will be pay per view. They are greedy for money. Well for that matter, so are the F1 masters.

Sky, Pah!

Edited By Barrie Dav 2 on 25/03/2016 08:15:25

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 25/03/2016 07:58:38:

Sky needed to do something, BT have made big inroads on their monopoly of the Premier league (the EU told the Premier League they couldn't sell all matches in one bid) so they need to get some exclusivity on something to keep the subscriber numbers up.

F1 highlights are good enough for me though, the full race is a bit like paint drying, wish Superbikes and Moto GP were on terrestrial TV though, yes bring back Superbikes and Touring cars.

Highlights of bike racing are shown on ITV4 Frank.

As for F1, seeing as only 10(?) races are shown live free to view anyway, I don't see the 2019 move making much difference. I understood it only affected live race transmissions. The highlights are a much better watch than the live race anyway.

Now how about some Speedway on FTV? That's all action racing for you.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 25/03/2016 08:59:19:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 25/03/2016 07:58:38:

As for F1, seeing as only 10(?) races are shown live free to view anyway, I don't see the 2019 move making much difference. I understood it only affected live race transmissions. The highlights are a much better watch than the live race anyway.

Now how about some Speedway on FTV? That's all action racing for you.

Highlights ??? and who do you think are going to show them.....Any names been put forward.......???

The only good thing about it going to Sky is the sponsors are going to pay a lot less because fewer people will see their name written all over a car so pay drivers will be less of a problem Sky will pay money directly to FOM who will then pay it direct to the teams they can hire good drivers rather than those with rich patrons.

We'll still get the British GP live via terrestrial but I think that's a bit silly now- those who want to watch a full length GP will likely have Sky, those who don't will not want to watch it.

Since I can't get Sky anyway, the whole thing is a bit academic. And even if I could get it, I wouldn't be prepared to pay for all the other rubbish just to watch F1.

F1 has been losing its appeal for a long time - something even the drivers now recognise, so it will be goodbye from me ,and goodbye...., etc, etc......

--

Pete

Until F1 reverts from being a display of processional fast driving back to a spectacle that actually offers some racing, then for me at least, it holds very little appeal.

I sometimes watch the highlights to at least keep a passing interest in what's going on, but very sadly, I only see the sport spiraling down year after year with a maze of rule changes, overly complicated points system, technology that doesn't do a thing for spectator appeal, and to be honest a cadre of drivers with very little personality in comparison to the characters of years gone by. I think the problem boils down to current F1 being far too slick and over produced which I find simply boring.

I do, however, salute the drivers bravery, as displayed after the crash in the last race.

Posted by Ben B on 25/03/2016 10:08:57:

We'll still get the British GP live via terrestrial

I dont think thats true.

The British GP will be free to air but on a sky channel. If you don't have sky you wont get it.

At least thats how I read it?

ETA: The man from Sky says "Sky Sports said the whole of the British Grand Prix would be broadcast on a new "free-to-air" channel."

This sounds to me like if you don't have Sky then you are out of luck.

Edited By bigbubba on 25/03/2016 11:12:28