2.5 metre Gentle Lady

Advert

Posted by John Stephenson 2 on 28/03/2016 21:29:22:

Thank you all for prop comments - i have seen an IC folding prop and a wonderful piece of engineering it was - however my ambition is to get in the air with a floater to match my 76 year old reactions and i really don't mind trashing a prop with every landing - John

There's at least 2 others contributing to this thread with reactions of the same vintage as yours, John. wink 2

Posted by PatMc on 29/03/2016 00:41:06:
Posted by John Stephenson 2 on 28/03/2016 21:29:22:

Thank you all for prop comments - i have seen an IC folding prop and a wonderful piece of engineering it was - however my ambition is to get in the air with a floater to match my 76 year old reactions and i really don't mind trashing a prop with every landing - John

There's at least 2 others contributing to this thread with reactions of the same vintage as yours, John. wink 2

Make that three.

There's some synchronicity going on here John because I'm building an ic powered glider - a 76" Super Rookie.super-rookie-plan-1782[1].jpg I'd like to see how you managed to squeeze your engine in. The mounting lugs on my Enya 09 are slightly wider than the nose at that point, if you see what I mean, that some surgery will be required whilst still trying to keep some aesthetic appeal.

Any chance of another photo showing a side view please

Hi Dia Fledermaus i did'nt have to squeeze the motor in - the plans show it bolted to the sawn off nosecone with no side or down thrust - however i shaved off 3/32" from the front of engine bearer to give a bit of down thrust.

The fuselage at the engine bearer mount is 21/8" square not enough room to fit a 4oz tank - so fitted a 2oz Dubro tank under the front hatch - a snug fit - sorry i can not be of more help but i quite like the engine exposed - it is an Enya.img_0297.jpg

OK, I've gotta say it... Why in this day and age would you attach an IC engine to a floater like this? I totally understand it back in the day, but surely for a soaring machine like this the advantage of being able to stop and restart your power source plus the low noise of electric adds up to a far better combination in all respects? I have nothing against IC at all, but let's be honest - if today's electrics had been available at the time this model was designed there would never have been an IC version.

I have an IC motorglider. Mine is a bit under 2m span, and has an MDS17 on the front. This is PLENTY! and it will do the book aerobatics wise as far as a 3ch model goes, not something I'd recommend with the gentle lady!

As far as soaring is concerned, it just does that with the engine at idle, and you can't hear that at all.

May another septegenarian butt in here. So you put the hinges in before covering . No problem Cover entire fin assembly as one .Then slit the film over the joint and tuck in the edges Same with the elevator. Just be careful not to cut the hinges. . A Q Tip helps with the tuck in . I too like I.C. power but have some leccy jobs too My engines range from .020 Cox up to a couple of .61 s . Dating from the late 40 s /50 s

While I'm on any of you got a crankshaft for a J.B.Atom or a clapped out complete motor. I'll put this in Sale etc section too

Posted by Percy Verance on 29/03/2016 22:05:22:

Well Matty, I hesitate to say it but there are those of us who actually like our i.c. engines, and glean pleasure from operating them.

And that's fine, I like IC too in the right model; I just can't see the point of fitting one to a glider any more whose soaring performance will be significantly harmed by the engine upfront.

I grew up on slope and flat field, so for me the purpose of a soaring machine is purely to soar. Any power source is just a means to get it up there, so having an IC engine on the front for anything other than perhaps a scale motor glider just seems a bit strange when electric can offer quieter, cleaner operation with a ready restart facility in the air to get you out of trouble. The idea of thermalling with an IC burbling away on the front just brings me out in a rash, however quiet it is - sorry!

Edited By MattyB on 30/03/2016 18:47:00