Spektrum Rx price hike???

mightypeesh

The EU limitation relates to use of the 2.4GHz band, in particular transmission. The Tx transmits a lot, so has to comply by doing LBT. The Rx doesn't transmit all the time, I think it is only every third receipt. As such, the Rx may well comply with the requirements as it only uses the 2.4GHz band a small amount.

Mike.

Advert

Totally agree with the comment Ron made earlier about the cost of radio back in the 70s. We really do want something for nothing these days. £40 quid for a Futaba RX seems good value. A 6 channel Samw's custom rx cost £55 in 1986 and the basic one was £45. That must be equivalent to About three times that now. And just work out the cost of a 4 channel Futaba rx that cost £26 in 1978 would amount to now

Modellers are still making excuses for crashing their models and blaming their radio, some inventing all sorts of very technical reasons with no sound understanding of the technicalities. Originally it was CB. Some even blame the EU!

In my opinion no one make of radio is better than another and no radio is of any technology is immune to a poor power set up and bad installation and if you only get 20 yards on a range check for whatever reason don't fly it it will end in tears

Spektrum's decision to not produce a replacement for their AR7000/7010 range of seven channel receivers a while back is annoying. AFAIA, to get a seven channel RX now, one has to go for one that comes with AS3X and is over three times the price of a standard six channel. item (along with all the faff of setting it up via your smartphone)

AS3X stabilisation is great in principle and I can see where some might have a use for it, but in all honesty I don't have a need for it in any of my 'planes and I doubt if many others do either. Why are Spektrum marketing their receivers in this way?

The AR610 six channel RX (of which I have a couple) is a great little device for around the thirty quid mark, but not a lot of use when a seventh channel is required, and paying upwards of another forty quid to gain the extra channel along with a stab system that I don't need in my aeroplanes is not attractive.

Posted by Donald Fry on 14/01/2017 11:24:34:

C8, why not use an AR8000, they are not 40 quid more

Just had a look at the websites of a couple of the shops that I get my gear from and they are no longer available. A few are showing on Ebay sites, but I always only like to buy radio from well known suppliers. Inwoods are listing them, but DSM2 only.

Cuban 8. Have looked at the Lemon range of RX'S ? I have used nothing else for the past two and a half years, in both electric and glow aircraft.

For around US $25 you could, buy the 7ch RX/stabiliser, straight forward to set up, and the gain adjustable in flight from the tranny. Or, the just released Plus model which is six axis with self leveling, for around US $28.

Delivery is around eight days from Hong Kong. Service, second to none Email address is... www.lemon-rc.com

Hamish. I think the answer to your question is that there is a justifiable concern that there are clones out there that are made to be indestinquishable from the genuine article with no known quality control so to be sure of avoiding these people feel the need to purchase the genuine article from a known distributor. Equally there is a concern that third party receivers may not be 100% compatable or are so cheap that they are not trusted

Edited By gangster on 14/01/2017 23:34:15

Gangster sums it up perfectly!

I have seen several fruit based receivers in aircraft controlled by genuine spekky transmitters that end in total loss crashes. I've also seen in from spekky rx's and when I asked where did you buy that AR xxxx they said new from eBay for £10. When generally the 'same' thing from a known shop is £40 odd.

I build large scale models, £50 for a receiver is a fraction of the cost but if it keeps the model flying, then it's worth knowing it's genuine and compatible with my DX9.

Thanks for the AR8000 tip. Re the budget receivers - I'm uncomfortable using them so I avoid doing so, I know several club mates who swear by them, and I must say they appear to work OK.

On the other hand I know of horror stories about short range, loss of bind etc etc. I do have a couple of Orange RXs that I use on the bench for set up only, and to be honest, their range when I've tested them is perfectly OK. I suppose that we just have to go with what we're happiest with and have confidence in.

Thanks for the info about why I should buy genuine rx.

I have just fitted my £11 "Spektrum" AR6200 with satellite into a model, placed it on the ground and then did a walk test. I ran out of space and eyesight as it was still receiving at 150 paces with me slightly downhill. Certainly impressed and now beginning to wonder if the range test function is working on the DX7.

Will need to fit it into a flying model and if it does come to grief I will hold my hands up.